KTM Parts

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Droptarotter, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Need an update on best places to buy KTM parts.
    With the US dollar exchange, it does not seem to be worthwhile ordering out of the USA at the moment.
    Anyone order from a reliable source in Europe or is it cheaper to just get the parts from the local stealer or the USA??

Thanks for the help.

Cheers
    shuswap1 likes this.
  2. The Island

The Island Im lost.

Oddometer:
    I have a 1290 SAR and it depends on what I am after. From my experience, it's always cheaper in the USA because when I bring it across the line, they are never too concerned when I tell them it's for my motorcycle. Or, if I ride over to pick anything up, they have NEVER asked for me to go in to pay taxes and what not. I purchased some Mosko luggage totalling more than 2K and they didn't care one bit. Then again, I have been in Holeshots and I have seen the same oil for a few bucks more so, they are at least trying to compete with the online world. The only bike stuff I get from the EU is mountain bike stuff so, I don't have too much experience with that. Sorry... not too helpful.
  3. Ronzo69

Ronzo69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    GP Bikes in Whitby
  4. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you got across with 2K worth of goods without going 'inside' that sets a new record in my experience!
  5. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are lucky if you got away with $2K! I find the magic number is about $500, but I have been sent in for less.
    I have just priced out some OEM KTM parts and the price difference is about $100 between US and Canada, but if I get sent in to pay taxes, the price difference won't make it worth my while.

Nobody try a Europe order??

I'll look into the Whitby dealer, thanks.
  6. offroadjunky

offroadjunky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is definitely not common getting away with that much, you are lucky don't expect that at anytime.
  7. canadius_maximus

canadius_maximus Quaere verum

Oddometer:
    Which bike? The 640, or the 520, or another? What kind of parts?

For the 690, I ordered either from AOMC and had stuff shipped to my US PO, or, mostly, got a discount from Holeshot (15%-20% from back when they supported Dual-Sport BC).

International Motorsports has supplied 90% of the "Husaberg" parts I've needed, and a third or more were parts common to KTM, so that may work, again depending on the bike (thinking of your 520) might be sourced by them. They're good, again, I get minimum 15% off - though they've changed their policy and now charge me up front before ordering. I used to be able to order off the phone and pay when they arrived. They said a lot folks would call in expensive parts and then never claim them - and they'd be stuck with parts or hit with heavy restocking fees. But for "generic" KTM crossover parts such as electrics, drive train, suspension, etc., I've gotten from them with great results.

Konquer (weird, I know) but I got good pricing on some electrical parts when I'd call and ask for their dirt parts guy. Not sure if he's around still, but worth asking, if it's not an overly specific part.

Gnarly parts has some good parts pricing-again, more the generic or wear parts stuff, but he's good too. Ask for Dave.

cm
  8. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Parts needed are 640 specific.....intake/exhaust rockers and associated bits.
    I have gotten generic stuff from Gnarly and they have been good.
    Got a quote from Holeshot and they are close to US pricing so the US is not worth while, but when I priced parts out of Europe, even with shipping it's about $100 cheaper.
    What I don't know is if I'll get stuck with brokerage fees from local shippers??

Cheers
  9. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    If the parts are mailed from Europe it shouldn't be too bad if anything. If shipped via courier: bend over.
  10. borscht zanetti

borscht zanetti Pura Vida ! ... eh?

Oddometer:
    This. Use regular mail. DHL is pretty much guaranteed brokerage fee.
  11. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
    I found them also, but with some of the prices it was better to use my local dealer. There were a couple of items I'm going to order from them as they were almost $100 cheaper per item!

Thanks for the info.
    Whodatschrome likes this.
  13. filterwrench

filterwrench Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have always paid brokerage fees and taxes buying from the the EU. I also got into a hassle at the border recently bringing in a used front axle for my 525. I did not have a receipt and declared $85. They would not let me take the axle across so I had to get a receipt emailed and it turned out it was $80 on the receipt so i paid the tax and went home a few weeks later got a warning letter for not declaring the true amount of the purchase. Make sure you have receipt they are getting sticky with their rules these days.
    Back to prices Holeshot is competitive with the US these days.
  14. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Filterwrench;
    I always take a printed receipt whenever I pick things up across the border. Or at least have the Paypal or Ebay payment on my phone.
    I ordered some parts from Maple Ridge and will get the rest from MSP in Europe.

Cheers
  15. MAS500

MAS500 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  16. The Island

The Island Im lost.

Oddometer:
    It was for me but for some reason I am very luck at the border. What I did was, I drove over with my motorcycle to pick up the luggage and rode them over - claimed them at Nexus and the dude didn't care. In fact, he wanted them for his bike. He rode a 1200 GSA and was taking his sweet time asking me all about them so, I lucked out - big time. Depends on where your moral compass is pointing, plan a nice little road trip, install them and ride them over - no one would ever know. I'm paranoid so, I claim everything! When you ship them to Canada, you will no doubt pay for duties. Keep an eye out for used goods though - sometimes they pop up on CL.
  17. MAS500

MAS500 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I want to enjoy the unboxing and install in my own garage. Maybe just go pick them up and drive them over from the po box and hope I get the same border officer :) Thanks for the info. How do you like the 1290?
  18. Critic

Critic More or less!

Oddometer:
    West of the Illinois, heart of the state!
    Sorry to interrupt the flow, I am looking for a Link or the guy I meet in Palm Springs, CA a couple weeks ago. He was changing his rear tire on KTM at motorsports dealer there. He was rushing and I did not want to interfere more than I did. I took a pic of his bags, for a friend, but did not think about taking one of him. Da, I'm a retired photographer, go figure. He is a BC guy that has extensive Adv travel, both solo and with wife, in N America. Also, he did a attempt ride from Europe to Mongolia. It seems he and fellow riders had issues like held a couple weeks and he lost a clutch that took weeks to get. He/they did not make all the way, so he did Adv touring E Europe. Said he had a blog. Please PM me any info that may leed to him. Thanks

Ok, back to your real thing,
  19. juames

juames Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer:
    +1 for GP Bikes