Ktm rc390

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by cabanza, Jul 15, 2013.

1. BravoTango

BravoTango That's just like,your opinion, man.

Oddometer:
    So did any of the models come with the integrated signals of the proto's? Not a big deal but I would be curious to see what actually made it to the consumer vs what was originally projected.
  2. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think integrated signals won't pass DOT standards.
  3. EddyB

EddyB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have just sat and looked at the RC390 and Duke 390 at the dealer. Bikes definitely look nice with all the aluminum parts. RC has a really nice sporty riding position whereas duke feels like a motocross bike.
    However build quality just is not there. All the switchgear have a huge amount of play. It is on par with some modern Chinese bikes. Gear switch pedal on the RC has as much movement in all directions as my 20 years old 65 000 miles Kawasaki. Suzuki GW 250 (made in China) and Honda CBR 250 (made in Thailand) are miles beter where all the switchgear tick then being pressed as usual with Japanese bikes.
  4. dmac57

dmac57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If they don't, it's not because they're integrated: See all of the GSX-Rs, and several Ducs. It's got to be because of either brightness or surface area.
  5. micah360

micah360 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    that's the first thing I looked for on mine in the showroom. I guess those are not stock for US (of course).
  6. micah360

micah360 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    here's some shots from today. I'm at 235 miles now. Feeling way more broke in. This bike handles amazing in the canyons... :eek1 Even took some dirt roads.

I also went for a quick ride around the block tonight too and the light output on this thing is fantastic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bugger.
  8. roma258

roma258 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dag, that's fantastic looking!
  9. ridewestKTM

ridewestKTM Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't find an oil filter for the bike. Any one know where to find one. I know the # its 90138015000 and doesn't seem to cross to anything.
  10. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    KTM dealer? :huh
  11. Meter Man

Meter Man Long timer

Oddometer:
    How extreme is the riding position compared to say a Ducati Supersport like an SS800?
  12. Süsser Tod

Süsser Tod Long timer

Oddometer:
    GSX-Rs do not have integrated turn signals, they are separate from the rear light.
  13. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    They are talking about FRONT turn signals, not rear. :D
  14. ridewestKTM

ridewestKTM Long timer

Oddometer:
    I suppose they came in with or just after bikes. The dealer where I bought my 390 seems to have just got them. None of the dealers and official KTM parts shops I contacted 5 days ago had them. Its even a new part #.
    I hope to get thru the breakin tomorrow
  15. EddyB

EddyB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have checked some Hyosungs today and must say that switchgear quality is pretty much on par with KTM. KTM is designed in Austria by motorcycle designers thereas Hyosung shows at same places that its designers were the same guys who used to design fridges.
    I wonder how would a GT250R compare to KTM as a playbike. Hyosung looks quite cool also, has USD forks, interesting engine (V2). It seems that KTM has quite some trick bits compared to jap bikes but not against Hyosung :dunno
  16. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:

If you ever thinking you're going to want to sell it, skip the Hyosung. Resale value is low. A friend of mine has been trying to sell a low mileage UM (same bike as Hyosung) 650 (the V-twin sport bike, not the cruiser) for a year at a reasonable price with now success. You're money is better spent on a used SV650, or, if you're more interested in the 250-390 segment, go for the KTM, or one of the Japanese. The new R3 looks real interesting. I'd say in that segment, I'd want the RC390, Ninja 300, or R3.
  17. Kaaden

Kaaden Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Get the Hyosung you'll love it, like the other 3 guys who bought one :lol3
  18. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Having worked on a few Hyosung/UM motorcycles I guess they are like buying brand new mid-80s Japanese offerings. Without the huge dealer network. Think Enfield without all the cool vintage factor.
  19. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Ninjas don't hold their value much either. Your dealing with buyers who can't get credit for new, or older cheapskates! :lol3

Mine was sold in pieces till it was close to stock, then I waited forever to get $3100. If I ride it another year I'd have been hard pressed to get $1500 for it with 25,000 miles on it.

Thinking it holds it value is not reality. Put one up for sale and see what shows up. It's not a great investment, but I've lost more in depreciation on more expensive bikes that the entire price of it new so at least it was well used and fun to fiddle with.
  20. ridewestKTM

ridewestKTM Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have just started the valve adjustment.
    I am very disappointed in the bike - more later. For now I have determined the cause of the "clack" coming from the engine. I thought-hoped- it was excess clearance in the valves but A) they are tight -overly, and B) seems obvious that the noise is the starting compression release. So for those of you who have heard a 390 running was it noisy?

Any of you got to the valves yet? I do not see an easy way to change shims. Anyone know?

This bike is nothing like any KTM I've owned. It's very "un-elegant".
    I hope to come back with a post adjustment review, but right now I'm stuck.