KTM recall on front wheels

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Tim, Jul 12, 2005.

1. istanbulian

istanbulian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ....similar experience here Ktim. 5 broken spokes in 11,000 km, all on the front wheel & all on the brake rotor side.

The only other spoke I have ever broken, in 28 years riding, is on a 1950's Steib sidecar !
  2. dagwood

dagwood Banned

Oddometer:
    now this is the Adventures only? not the E's?
    on my 01 I've smaked big square rocks with low pressure and have done more damage changing tires.:dunno mine is solid still with no broken spokes and 0 dents. :scratch. 12k miles+ of nasty rocky trails and street motoX. I know there was a few times the Rim came in contact with rocks in a glancing pinch the tire way and still :thumb
    even check the spokes with the old tuning fork method once in awhile and get the same tone from all. never had to tighten them even though I could use a trueing. maybe I'll get the old indicator out and see how out it is.
    now if I could fix that nasty valve cover leak...:rolleyes
  3. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer

Oddometer:
    Didn't you bend the front rim in the get off? Get the NEW one with the spokes YOU want on the :asshat's insurance :nod

Gerg
  4. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, the state patrolman believes I turned slightly at the last moment (maybe I was trying to avoid him :dunno I have no memory of the event), allowing his pickup truck to strike ME instead of the bike's front end. :cry

I find out more this wednesday (going to see bike for first time and authorize repairs), but they said the front end was undamaged.

I will take this info to the shop; maybe my bike one the lottery too. :D
  5. Mack

Mack Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer:
    New product in the 2006 Hard Parts Catalog, (not suggesting this for the old ADV wheel that is being replaced.) kinda intersting.

http://www.ktmusa.com/frameset.asp

Doubt the "framset" link will get you there, so:

Hard Parts ->

Wheels and Rims->

Scroll down a few->

can someone post the pic? (new Apple, and I'm learning OS10 "Tiger" can seem to get image URL's down on this new puter yet.)

NEW! Orange Spoke Savers, Help keep your spokes in place. Designed to keep brake rotors cooler and to help eliminate brake fade due to heat conditions.

U6951575 ALL BIKES - Complete set.
  6. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

there ya are Mack :D

what apple did you end up with? after my latest Microslob Winblows XP snaffu, I am almost ready to give up freedom of software choice for the better Apple system. bill gates blows chunks anyways.
  7. Mack

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the pic.

Sent you a PM.

The latest 12" ultraportable iBook with OS 10.4 "Tiger" Safari browser, G-sense HD park protector, two finger track pad horizontal and vertical browsing scoll, high speed wireless, bluetooth wireless with wireless keyboard and mouse, etc. etc. It was very affordable, and I can't say enough good about how Apple as a company, the support, class act first all the way. It rocks, but the switch from the 4+ year old pismo, and my dragging my feet from OS9.1 to 10 has really given me some fits getting up to speed, but four+ years is a long time for one puter, one operating system. Best of all, I'm done with IE and Outlook, not one damn Microsoft product on it at all.

If I had it to do over, with my 39 year old eys (glasses contact) I might have gone with the 14" iBook, done a build to order with the largest HD, and dropped the Superdrive DVD burner to save money, and wear and tear on the drive. (Since external DVD burners are so cheap, seams the more you make a laptop optical drive do, the more it can have issues.) Still once I start packing the 12" around, I may adjust to the screen, and just love the small "Tankbag" sixe of the 12".
  8. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    :tb

a friend of mine who is a true blue MS user (he has to with games and the desire to build his own computers) recently bought a mac mini to replace his second system (his music browsing rig next to his main computer) because the Tiger OS is so bad ass. :nod he said it is great, but what do you expect when Apple polishes up UNIX for an Apple release?

i have tried to get my mom to go Apple when she gets her first home computer. she has no need of the "flexibility" of MS and would be much better served by an Apple. she thought the mac mini was cute! :lol3 i will likely go for Apple if I ever need a laptop; might be able to go Apple at home in the future when we can overcome the software investment we have now or don't need them.

bigger screens are nice, but if you desire ultimate portability then the 12" will serve you better. bigger screen means shorter battery charge life (or heavier batteries). if you want more resolution, then you can probably change the default font size or some such minor tweak.

now about those spoke thingeys: worth it? :ear
  9. Mack

Oddometer:
    Well I called my dealer, who then checked the KTM service net, no wheel TB for my 2002 ADV. No joy. Debating following it up with a letter, but I may just send it off to Woody, seems Colin had his fixed up right by woody, might just settle for new spokes and truing??? Damn, Damn. I guess North America may not be covered, what gives?
  10. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    Just received my recall letter tonight. Mentions "certain 2001, 2002, and 2003 LC4 640 Adventure Motorcycles". The hoops on my '01 have held up just fine, but I'll run it by my friends at the local dealer anyway.

(Rest in peace, brother Mack. :cry)
  11. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    fuckin mack :cry

yeah he's right. i did have mine fixed right by woody, then i gave it to ktm to destroy. new wheel came on recall. i'm not going to install it untill woody has made it right.

12. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    I haven't gotten anything from KTM on either of my 640's, and both were on the list. :scratch

I pony'd up the bucks and had Woody's build me a bulletproof Sun front wheel when mine cracked in October. It went from the spoke nipple hole right through to the edge of the rim, and I could feel the distortion and displacement on the crack. T'was not good. There were some other mini cracks from other spoke holes, but non that migrated during my trip like that one nasty one.

The handling of this situation sucks so far. IMHO.

Did I tell ya about my new XR650R? :ear
  13. G.Kennedy

G.Kennedy ...

Oddometer:
    I went to my KTM dealer yesterday. They punched in my VIN ..... and ordered me a wheel. He thinks it will be here in about two weeks.

The recall notice is definately in their database with VINs. Call your dealer.

If I had the cash, I would pop for a relace on the new hub/rim. But I gotta run it stock for now.

Free labor for the tire R/R too. I haven't had some one put a tire on for me for a while now.

Did I tell you about my 450 EXC !! :ear

:lol3 :lol3 :lol3 :lol3
  14. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    Glen,

That's interesting. One of my 640's has been at KTM since the beginning of August :bluduh I need to hound them on this wheel issue now also. I'm glad to know it's mainstream now.

See Ya,

Bruce

PS: Tell me about the 450EXC :ear :thumb

15. G.Kennedy

G.Kennedy ...

Oddometer:

My bike was still listed to the previous owner in the KTM database. I am sure he is going to get the letter. In theory, he returns the letter to KTM w/ my info.

The dealer did everything off my VIN, then updated the database to show me as the owner.

Least painful dealer experience ever.

The 450 is heaven. 4 solid hours in the dirt today. PUUURfect !!! I am pretty sure I haven't given it more than 3/4 throttle.... gets blury fast.

Hows that six fiddy ?? I have this hunch that you and LVR are gonna solo the 1000. The only two riders I know that could pull it off ..... while drinking beer. :lol3
  16. Jasper

Jasper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did I tell ya about my new XR650R? :ear[/QUOTE]

Do tell!

How does it compare to your rxc???
  17. IronDawg

IronDawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Went down to the local dealer to finalize the title transfer. They had my bike in the recall! New wheel should be hear next week, just in time for the Big Bend ride.
  18. burntflan

burntflan burntflan

Oddometer:
    I too had mine rebuilt by Woody w/ Buchannan SS spokes and Excel rim. Would rather have the cash than a new wheel, although spoke failure pre-Woody took a bite out of my rotor and caliper. Any one know what KTM is offering cash-wise, and whether they would replace the damaged rotor and brake assembly?

FYI. Anyone who's interesteds in trying wheel truing themselves should check out the reasonably-priced Park truing stand. Doesn't come with a dial gauge, but it's pretty easy to rig one on to it. I bashed the Woody wheel coming out of Saline Valley and tried my hand at relacing the new rim. My skills are still a work in progress, but i've got it under .010, which is pretty good for govt. work...

http://motorcycletoolchest.com/mctccatalog/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=42&osCsid=6cabf39b11d8110c2529124bca5f6edd

jlr
  19. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    My guess is nothing, cash-wise. It a part for part exchange. Perhaps they'll pony up some goodwill euros, but the would be a surprise.

As an aside, the KTM recall dealer document says "parts are in short supply, no dealer can order more than one wheel assembly per day". So, get with the program. With 400+ bikes it may bog down shortly.
  20. Tim

Tim Long timer

Oddometer:

:nod :(: still hard isn't it?