1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

KTM SE/R from Ushaia to Alaska

Discussion in 'Americas' started by HappyGoLucky, Nov 15, 2007.

1. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer:
    Hi All, :wave

So, having just completed my first trip to Canada and meeting some of the coolest people on the planet thanks to ADVRider.... I am ready to start thinking bigger.

I truly hope this thread wont die an ignominous death, but I have a bat crazy idea of taking a SE from south to north.

After having checked out some threads, and spending some time with some world travellers who have checked into Cape Town, South Africa (where I live), I thought it would be fun to get some comments and pointers from you guys the seasoned travellers.

I have traversed Africa into some places where they havent seen white people before (as recently as 1993), and I have a good idea of what hardship is. I die for adventure, and the tougher it gets, the better I personally get. So from that perspective, I am all amped.

What I am naturally very unsure of is, is distances for gas etc. On the SE, with its huge 14litre tank, I have recorded my all time best of 41km's from full to reserve thanks to heavy heavy dune riding :lol3 So naturally this is my premier concern.

Why the SE then? Well I dont know, but I sure do love my bike:raabia, and not much is going to persuade me against it. The only luggage I aim on taking will be emergency rations, spares, water and juice. Clothing will be entirely optional :lol3

I am fairly capable with just a stock tool kit, and I would take a satellite phone me thinks for security in case everything goes pear shaped.

I will be riding with a buddy hopefully, also on a SE. Could be fun. The only thing I may consider changing is the seat :D to a Renazco or similar. And naturally, more gas canisters on the bike (different tank, remove one exhaust and make it into a fuel tank, that sort of thing)

Anyhow, forgive my noobness on this, but I invite comments on all things, from best times to best forwarding agents, best GPS's, best maps, best everything.

Could be fun. And I may be silly enough to actually pull it off :norton, and have fun doing it.

Peace

[​IMG]
  2. adiablolex

adiablolex Lost again

Oddometer:
    :lobby :ear
    Cheers
  3. señormoto

señormoto Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer:
    950 SE... adventure riding. what could go wrong? Have a great trip!
  4. Teejay

Teejay n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi AdvRiders

So allow me to introduce myself - I'm proud to say that HappyGoLucky is my best (read only - :rofl) mate!!! and as most of you already know - what a SUPERB guy he is - one of a kind!!! So his infectious attitude to life has invaded me and I am dead keen to go on the trip (no not smoking anything) of a lifetime - so Ushaia to Alaska sounds pretty cool to me - what an awesome trip that would be - and on an SE too - what do you guys (ladies - welcome to comment too) think of this FANTASTIC idea. Is HappyGoLucky nuts or wot? Well how about doing the trip on a Vespa......:eek1

All comments welcome - remember we are from Africa - where lions roam the streets by night and prey on tourists by day (yeah right) so a trip like this is do-able - they make us tuff (and stoopid) down here. :evil
  5. Stephen

Stephen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do it.

Better drop by here, too, LITO, er, HGL.. sheesh :rolleyes

Look, you know you'll need more gas, so do what you have to do.

You'll need more rear tires along the way, and if you take the kinds of routes I expect you'll take, a chain and sprockets aren't gonna last a terribly long time. So set up some drops, arrange to have the rare KTM shit shipped to you. They do have phone and delivery service in South America. Even KTM dealers.. I could make some joke here, but I'm sure everybody can come up with his own. :evil

You'll need an emergency bivy -- things don't have to go far awry to spend a few nights out, y'know. Heck, I've heard there's an awful lot of prime camping spots down there in Patagonia, so you might want a light rig. A pad, bag, and tent can be had that pack very very small.

I wouldn't worry too much about the bike or spare fuel pumps or waterpumps or.. You'll probably break it before anything wears out anyway. :lol3
  6. HappyGoLucky

Oddometer:
    Hey Teejay,

Easy on the juice brother :photog

Mate, so someone tried to talk me into riding this RTW. I am sure its possible - would be a damn side cheaper too!

[​IMG]

But I didnt quite want to look like this after 5 months

[​IMG]

Anyhow, this is my mate TeeJay - this is jest about the gayest pic you can imagine

[​IMG]

Of course, this is where the stickers fit best. TeeJ, with his daughter who has yet to register on ADVRider. I call her Coffin/LabRat/Sniffy/Taz

[​IMG]

This is for me, because its exactly what I am - not its not an elephant.

[​IMG]

So, thanks to all the lads for your responses - Stephen, you had better watch out for those offers - we may take you up on them!

Of course, the good folk in Canada arent too terribly psychologically scarred, after my trip there.

Right!

So I was thinking - straight off the bat - heres a minute list which will have to be appended. The hellish south easter (they call it the Cape Doctor, I call its the Capes personal satan - is blowing the world to shit outside, so I may lose my connection here :becca

List of some necessities on the SE/R:

1. 15 litres of fuel affixed to the bike - I have a plan on how to affix a 7litre fuel tank in the rear, and the balance of the preplanned litres may fix onto the frame of the bike. That should give a range of some 450km's at best, and 100km at worst (my personal worst was 3kays to a litre - heavy sand dune riding)
    2. Spare fuel pump, spare water pump kit
    3. Chain, sprockets.
    4. Oil
    5. Water
    6. GPS - which one would be better - the old 276c or the Zumo 550? :ear
    7. Spare tubes, plus my personal favourite slime
    8. Tube repair kit, plus levers - perhaps Dale Coopers bead breaker?
    9. Comprehensive tool kit
    10. 2litres of Hannepoort Jerepigo
    11. Digital Camera - 10megPixel, 6 Optical Zoom, 8 Gig Card
    12. Satellite Phone
    13. Repair Manuals - printed out, and also copied onto USB Memory Sticks
    14. Some deoderant in case theres a beautiful senorita in town and shes downwind of me?:arg
    Something I am thinking about is changing out the oil (lord no, its not a damn oil thread), to regular Dino. I seriously doubt that I could get find some good putoline/motorex out in the boonies :lol3
  7. kejago

kejago Kev. Haute Savoie, France

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  8. Miguel

Miguel off road junkie

Oddometer:
    :ddog git on with more pics lad! (some new ones)

Whatcha got planned for spare tires?
  9. HappyGoLucky

Oddometer:
    cheap shot! (especially from someone who has never posted a pic in his life before) :D

Best thing about planning a trip like this is that you get to ride a lot before then, and start learning how to explore. I am talking about finding any dirt road you can, and taking it, often past private property signs. I know.. bad boy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hows that Miguellie? :evil

and oh yes

[​IMG]
  10. Miguel

Miguel off road junkie

Oddometer:
    Hey "HGL": what did ya prang that wheel off of :cry ? I have a mate here who did Prudhoe Bay to Tierra del Fuego back in the mid 90's. He's got over a million km's on two wheels. I can fire any planning and route questions off him if you like. Or provide a contact email.
  11. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    If you have questions regarding that bike, I suggest posting them in the bike-specific Orange Crush Forum.
  12. adiablolex

adiablolex Lost again

Oddometer:
    (quote)
    Best thing about planning a trip like this is that you get to ride a lot before then, and start learning how to explore. I am talking about finding any dirt road you can, and taking it, often past private property signs. I know.. bad boy.(quote)

Totally agree on that mate, the best "ADV" rides I've had were unplaned for, going through dead ends and unassumed roads.
    There's a lot of work involved in "organized rides" as you may know, but it's just that, organized.
    To be a true ADV ride you need to get lost, run out of gas, have four or five flats in a day and hopefully not break any parts of your body while you're at it. This trip you're planning will take alot of work to just get the logistics together and hopefully you'll find help here, but the idea is: just ride. Common sense is mo beta than a map.
    :lobby
  13. Moto North

Moto North Ontario ADV Rider

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, that looks like a great ride! Riding into that mine looks like a hoot! Did you see anybody down there?
    Hey Teej, can you PM me with your mailing adress...I have something very Canadian I want to send you as a little thank you for your hospitallity. George, I don't have yours either...or are you still living on the streets these days? PM or email me.
  14. Teejay

Teejay n00b

Oddometer:
    It is actually a tunnel (adjacent to the one that cars ride through) - but the second tunnel was never completed (due to lack of money methinks) - but it is completely blasted all the way through. Bare granite rock inside - 4.1 km's long and cold inside - the temp dropped by around 14 deg celsius when we went inside. No-one can really get to it - but alas HappyGoLucky and I found a way :evil We didn't see anyone else there - just outside the tunnel on the one side is a lovely little river and the surrounding nature is quite spectacular!
  15. HappyGoLucky

Oddometer:
    Thanks Lone Rider, got that.

Thanks Miguel, didnt prang the wheel, you have to read my boy. I know its difficult for you, but try at least a little. After a few days, you can get through a whole sentence.

:hide :photog

Thanks for the offer on the trip advice. I think the most important would be where to get wings like you make them. :thumb

MotoNorth, for a noob, you got a big mouth :D - I am on the streets ya bugger, but only cos I couldnt stand to live in an old wooden 108 yr old house thats built on the road.

Alex... when you coming to SA? I reckon with your strong currency, you can organise a wicked trip. Osteo is a bit sensitive right now (menopause), but I reckon you got a thicker skin :deal

Oh, and bring some hawt Canadian single wimmin along:nod:wings
  16. bongodave

bongodave Fixing Stupid

Oddometer:
    The Super Enduro is one gorgeous bike!
    Like the other guys said, don't plan too much. Adventure means curiosity when you encounter the unknown.
    Of course, we'll want to hear all about it!
    Cheers!
  17. adiablolex

adiablolex Lost again

Oddometer:
    Hey man, I was thinking more Morroco, I may have some business coming up there soon(after new year). Depending on how long I stay, maybe we can hook up somewhere....halfway?:freaky

Are you coming here soon? We just got 6" of snow=time to stud the tires.

I'll see if I can fit a hawt midget chick in my backpack, as long as she's Canadian and single right?:icy :annie
  18. KTMforget

KTMforget Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi HappygoLucky & Teejay
    Truly sounds like a trip of a lifetime!! Best of luck with the planning. You will make many of us envious with this journey. Make sure you take all of us along for the trip and keep us updated.

One note you may want to consider. We just finished testing of our skid plate for the 950SE during the Baja 1000 and the results were impressive. You may want to consider the extra protection for the bike as the stocker is a joke. I didn't catch the timing of your trip but we expect to start production in the next month.

Also, you have a place to stay in North Idaho, just before you jump across the Canadian border. Just drop my a line and let me know when your through our area.

Good luck
    Kurt
  19. chasfactor

chasfactor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi guys/gals..

Prepping now and leaving on a plane for Chile Dec 16th with 950S. Will ride down to Tierra del Fuego and around Argentina and Chile and up to Peru and Colombia.

Hopefully I will make it all the way back to San Diego by May or June or whenever..

In Baja now and sure will hate to leave here.. just so beautiful here in La Ventana even if we cant kiteboard much right now the wind is just not performing!

Will post ride report asap ....

My 05 950S just had a failed thermoswitch in Copper Canyon which killed the fan in the mountain switchbacks so I am taking a spare thermoswitch as well as fuel pump, clutch/brake/throttle cables, plugs, filters etc.

Have a Zumo but was thinking of taking 60CsX Garmin.. any input on GPS much appreciated..

I was going to ride down but keep getting stuck enjoying traveling the US west coast and baja and mexico. By flying there I just make it happen kinda quick like. Expensive yes but pretty easy arranging.

I am using Chile LAN Cargo to fly the bike. 3A Packing for pallet and "Dangerous Goods" certfificate. Bike flies out on a Sat eve to Miami and then on to Santiago for Mon 5:30pm arrival. Customs and aduana in Chile are notoriously easy to deal with. Should be exciting to spend Xmas in CHILE!

I am running Gobi bags and Ortleib dry bags and Conti TKC80s with one rear spare at this point...

Looking forward to it!

Chas
  20. Miguel

Miguel off road junkie

Oddometer:
    Hey Chas: sounds like an awesome trip. I'm jelous. Make sure to take a couple sturdy cargo straps in case of a broken Gobi case mounting latch. You know, to strap the case to the rack and carry on..