KTM Shops in Mexico

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by dwj - Donnie, Dec 2, 2013.

1. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto
    Price seems high to me from a US stand point. Can a US citizen buy a Mexico vehicle? How do you get papers on it? Can you still import another road vehicle? I have actually considered buying a car or truck in my girl friend's name and temporarily import my moto. I guess it could work the other way as well.
  2. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK! :D How difficult are the 1190s to get now?
  3. pizzaboy

pizzaboy Been here a little too long

Oddometer:
    May be one at Cycle town south in south Dallas. BigDave test road one last weekend there. Sorry, don't know status of bike
  4. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Right now I am all talk till the current moto is settled. I have had dealings with these insurance folks before, they are very slow to pay, but I don't need to receive their money to buy something else, just the commitment and to get my temporary importation closed so I can bring another moto to Mexico.
  5. Arte

Arte Pata de Perro

Oddometer:
    Yikes! did not know about it.

so I do better wait til Jan 2014 to import my new ride...

..sorry, now back to the main topic
  6. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can I buy a Mexican vehicle in my name or permanently import a vehicle in my name, while at the same time temporarily importing my moto!
  7. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

I only have the tourist permit which expires after six months. I usually cancel it and renew at a convenient time when crossing the border. If I buy a Mexican vehicle, it won't have to leave when I do? Of course, I will be returning.
  8. Arte

Arte Pata de Perro

Oddometer:
    Sometimes a shitty workshop turns out to be the best....

this is "El Chani" our Moto Mechanic in Zacatecas....

[​IMG]

I recall that he solved a problem on a GS1200 that Guadalajara's dealer could not after several intents and different "repair$", so my cousin gave up and went to Chani's.

he left the bike there and a couple hrs later, gets a call... you can pick up the bike already....

:eek1 sure? -

- yes man !

-OK, how much I owe you?

- Just bring me a quarter of "Panalito" (cheapest mexcal at $1.00 USD the Liter)

- oh, uum, OK, you got it...

BTW, my old beloved KLR is the one on the left ...:cry
  9. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

Yes, I understand trouble shooting can be like that. Earlier this year my BMW R1100GS sat in the Guatemala City BMW Shop for nine days with them being unable to detect a faulty Hall's Sensor, even though I told them I suspected it was the problem when I hauled the moto there. A few days later a Motorscooter Mechanic and I removed and replaced the sensor behind his house.

But in this case, there is an obvious bent front fork and axle. The other fork and the triple tree? Who knows? The rear subframe is torn from the main frame. The nut that had been factory welded to the main frame was torn loose and pulled away with the bent sub-frame. The $1,600 fuel tank has paint chipped off of it. The shops do not have the special tools to disassemble a front end on a KTM. Yes, I am sure they can use pipe wrenches and whatever to get it separated, destroying all fitting as they go. After they get it separated, do they know what they are looking at? A single replacement front fork is over $2,500 US dollars!

I actually would be OK with the chipped paint, but given the other issues, I am not. I will not accept for this moto to be patched like the normal moto repairs are done down here. If it were my KLR or the old BMW from the past, patching would be fine as long as it was safe. But, because this is a newer, much nicer moto, I want it made as new, just as I would expect in the US. That is the reason I purchased insurance for Mexico, which is more expensive than the US insurance on the same moto.

If this moto were in the US, it would be totaled! And it should be here as well. I am afraid these guys are wanting to do a Chinese Moto patch job and I am reminding them almost daily of what I expect!
  10. Arte

Arte Pata de Perro

Oddometer:
    Right!
    Most of dealers shops (Car/bikes) primary goal is to rip you off, and by the way solve the problem... but they don't give a rat ass if was solved at once... they know you'll return...
    this not only happens in Mexico... when I asked for the recall fiz on my KLR 2008 (wiring harness recall) the McAllen dealer got my bike to fix it, at no charge...
    afte a couple days they called me saying the bike was fixed....
    some 10 or 15 day later... the bikes lets me down on the street (México) in the middle of a hell rain.. and I have to get help from my buddy rider Andy an haul the bike on his truck..

Very mad, (exploding) at home, I strip off the bike and found that there are couple known recall spots not fixed, which one fo them caused a short, blowing the main fuse.

I decided to fix the bike by myself (three recall known items).
    After that fix, the bike ran like a champion.... so... again... no matter where you are.... you can find shitty service at any place..
  11. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    My moto is in a shop about 40 miles from my hotel. Ana and I are going there today to have a look at the shop and to talk with the person that is supposed to only look at the moto and provide a list of damages.
  12. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    We went to the shop today. The manager already had the forks off the moto. The right one is totally destroyed and would have to be totally replaced according to him. At KTMtwins that fork cost $2,730. He thinks the other fork and triple tree are OK. We reviewed the items he had located as damaged. He had only missed one that I had listed. The scrapes and scratches on the plastic parts he says he could paint, but of course, it will not look correct. He actually ask me if I wanted the moto "totaled", I told him yes, because it would be totaled in the US and I would not accept less than new appearance on the painted items. I explained that I purchased insurance so that it would be made correct if I had an accident. He is to give his damage report to the Insurance Company next Wednesday. I guess we will see where this it goes from here!

BTW, he was a very nice gentleman. In general, his shop looked pretty good. But I would not want him dis-assembling the front fork innards. He does not even own a motorcycle and had never seen a KTM!
  13. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    Congratz in advance on the new 1190 Adventure. :clap
  14. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

It is very tempting! :deal I am more of a buy a good used low mileage kind of guy, plus I don't know how readily available the 1190 ADVs are yet and I have not decided between the regular or the R. I love the ride of the 990 ADV and assume the R would be closer. I also wonder which wheel, the 19 or the 21, would be stronger against bending in large pot holes and other obstacles. I know the 21 will roll through them better, but is it stronger from the stand point of not bending?
  15. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    SOG's nephews ride nine-fiddies with 21" wheels and I've noticed (cuz I'm chasing them) they struggle a bit with them in high speed turns. Aaron said they like to wander a bit on the road at most speeds. Would be good to hear from 1190 drivers on this one.
  16. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Donnie, if you take your bike to Hiperbikes in Puebla, authorized KTM dealer with a wide selection, you can probably get yourself a lengthy test ride on an 1190. They are a good dealership, and like I mentioned, one of the owners speaks perfect English and all the staff are serious riders. Their shop area is well staffed and well equipped. They are going to be moving into an old Acura car dealership sometime, successful dealership and out growing their current premisses. Villahermosa is likely closer if you are still down the road in Acayucan, but I have never seen their operation, I doubt it is as big as the one in Puebla. That Puebla operation is the biggest bikes only dealership I have ever seen in Mexico.
  17. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, the 21 inch wheels are definitely less stable in high speed curves. The difference between the R1100GS's 19 and the KTM's 21 is very obvious. Of course, on gravel or difficult terrain, it is just as obvious in the other direction.

When is your new Water Buffalo getting here? :ear
  18. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think my moto will salvaged and taken back to the US. :cry I really like that moto!
  19. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    LSBMW now says March. Changed from Jan. I'm no. 2 in line and will take the first green one. Or second, depending.

If I go Orange I'm thinking I'll need the 19 over the 21 since pavement is all I'm really good at.
  20. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Orange Koolaid is very strong! :deal