KTM Shops in Mexico

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by dwj - Donnie, Dec 2, 2013.

1. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    I hear the Siren Song and greatly desire to slake my thirst.
  2. Misery Goat

Misery Goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I think you 'll be at a disadvantage for riding and finding tires in Latin America switching to a 19 front. And I've never had any problems keeping the 21 planted at high speed, straight aways or twisties, sans the occasional times when I get my preload out of whack and the front gets prone to head shake. Easily fixed by getting the sag back in balance. And I expect the 19 will have a tendency to get swallowed up by the man holes when you get down to Colombia where they like to remove the covers. :wink:
  3. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto
    Good point! The 21 definitely feels different than the 19 to me, but I think both versions of the 1190 ADV have WP steering dampers. But would still base my purchase on which wheel is more durable. (less prone to bending) Unfortunately, no one has yet address the main question.
  4. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    There is always the SE rims which are narrower, less likely to bend ... just a thought.

Our are standing up well although we are not punishing the bike we are still going into rugged places.

Hope you get sorted mate. :clap
  5. Misery Goat

Oddometer:
    Which size is used predominantly for off road riding? You're over-thinking this.
  6. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will use the moto very little off road. The question is which rim will bend the easiest on Latin America's millions of pot holes,, speed bumps and road hazards. The 19" rim on the new 1190 ADV or the 21" rim on the 1190 ADV R?

I already know the 21" is better for off road and the 19" is better for pavement, but that is not the question.
  7. Misery Goat

Oddometer:
    Well I tried.
  8. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  9. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if the insurance company "totals" your moto, do they take it back to the states or is that your responsibility? My insurance is with ACE Seguros. If they take it back, do they export it back to the states or do you have to be present? If they export it, how do you get your import fee reimbursed? Thanks!
  10. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I read that the 2013 1190 ADV Rs had 21*2.50", but that the 1014s will have narrower rims. I have not been able to confirm that.
  11. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    In my experience, if you are going to whack the sht out of a bache with a 19 inch rim, it is likely going to put a 21 inch rim out of commission, too.
    I've replaced both front and rear rims, cast and spoked on bikes here a few times.
    The difference is that the big GS1200 rims and those GS1150 rims with the outer spokes, do flex and deflect a lot, and can be repaired far easier. Personally, I think if it destroys a 19 it will seriously mess up a 21. If the tire survives you can always get somewhere, though it is going to vibrate a lot above 100kmh. I do know that. Tire type and pressure might also come into play, but sometimes if you do hit a bache that hard, you can find there will be other damage, too.
    Hope you get things sorted out to your liking, Donnie. ACE should be able to give you a definitive answer to your questions. If this is your first accident claim through a Mexican insurance agent, don't expect lightning speed, and don't be afraid to keep after them and be firm. I do know that, too.
  12. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't blame the baches for it ...it's all the amazing food in all these great restaurants that only you can find every 50 KM :freaky:freaky:freaky:dg:dg:dg:dg
  13. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha,ha both of you guys forgot all the El Indios, too.:freaky

Hey Donnie, once you get things sorted out with Seguros ACE, maybe you'll find a deal on a 2013 leftover at a KTM dealer. Thst 2013 1190 Adventure I test rode in Puebla was really sweet! Hope you can get yourself one of those. Dont ride it in the USA, you'll lose your licence on the way home from the dealer!
  14. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 2013 models in Mexico and the US were only Demos, 2014 is the first year model for Mexico, US and Canada. Much of the rest of the world had 2013 models. Maybe they were testing them there before bringing them here. :evil
  15. DirtJack

DirtJack Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think dealers were given the opportunity to each purchase a bike in Europe at a dealer meeting and have it shipped to NA to use as a demo bike. I presume it could be later sold, assuming it had appropriate documentation for the destination country. Most of the demo rides people are getting in the US are on these bikes.
  16. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    BTW, I still don't know why I lost control of the moto on the lane change, but I have an idea. :evil The left fork was locked in a compressed mode, the axle was bent and the right disk was warped and dragging on the caliper body/lower leg some kind of way. I think the fork collapsed on impact, bending the axle. I think the combination of the bent axle and the interference affected by the warped disc caused the loss of control. The left fork was also bent inward enough that the axle was sticking an inch out of the left fork leg even though it was positioned correctly on the right side. I have not said it before, but there was a few moments of near tank slapping as I fought for control.

What do y'all think about my suspicions of what happened? :D
  17. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you hit a big fkcn pothole that was courtesy of the inept and corrupt Veracruz state government. Welcome to the club! Gets damn expensive after awhile! You know, Donnie, if you were on a toll road and had your receipt, the government would be paying every last centavo of your repairs.:deal Just in case folks don't know, the toll highways give receipts which are your insurance against damage caused by the road to your vehicle. They will pay. Same for the CFE if you have an account and there is an electrical spike and your laptop gets fried. As long as the account is open and you have a receipt for your electronic device, you can claim from them. Payments are slow, but they do get settled.
  18. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Insurance Company moved about one half of an inch this morning, so maybe we can get moving! I think they are ready to declare it "totaled". Now, how in the world will I get it back to the US? It is easy to find someone to haul a moto 50 miles, but 750?
  19. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Trucks are always going to the border empty and returning full this time of year. It is the busiest time of year, small load companies need money, ask around, you'd be surprised.
    Mexican insurance companies are famous for being slow, you have to keep after them. I called the agent daily when I had a claim for two new wheels and tires thanks to a pothole outside of Ixhuacan. They came through in 3 weeks and never even looked at the bike after the initial adjuster's written report.
    Call them daily, they'll want to get rid of you sooner or later.
    Not sure how the buy back works in Mexico, I have never heard of it being done with a bike before.
  20. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was planning on waiting till after Christmas to take the moto back. How big of a window is the shipping opportunity?