KTM Ultimate Race/Merzouga Rally 790R Review

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by gearheadE30, Apr 28, 2019.

1. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    It is...?

790R chassis and rear suspension:
    790R chassis and rear suspension.jpg

790 Chassis:
    790R frame.jpg

950/990 LC8 Adventure (trellis) chassis:
    [​IMG]

Superenduro 950 (trellis) chassis:
    [​IMG]
    gearheadE30 likes this.
  2. ThirdUncle

ThirdUncle More will than skill

Oddometer:
    I think I use my ground clearance plentifully, judging by all the bullet holes under my Black Dog... and, trust me, I'm not very skilled... I've just learned to let the throttle pick up where talent drops off.

Interesting fact about engine braking and emissions. Thanks. I would have thought that if you're feeding more fuel in, you're creating more net waste.
    BlackDogCycleWorks and LocuL like this.
  3. motoman250f

motoman250f Been here awhile

Oddometer:

On a bike they are marketing as an offroad weapon,, better be sure the motor mounts are torqued correctly on the 790! Is this a concern for anyone??
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  4. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 @LC8Adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting! I never saw one with the tank off, and just assumed from the head stock area that it was a trellis all the way back. Color me corrected!

Well perhaps you are just less risk-averse than many with the big girl then. :lol3

Emissions testing is all about greenhouse gas, particulates, NOx, unburnt hydrocarbons, etc - in some cases more fuel is burned in order to reduce emissions. This is particularly true in the diesel industry that I am a part of. Another point I forgot to include - engine braking means very low cylinder pressure. This can mean more oil makes it past the rings and into the combustion chamber, because the piston rings actually use combustion pressure to seal. Then, when the throttle is opened again, that oil gets burned off and spikes the particulate count. No bueno for emissions or sociability.

It's a fairly conventional mounting setup; not much I'd be worried about there unless I really whacked the oil pan on something.
  5. motoman250f

Oddometer:
    ^^ what im concerned about is vibrations if the motor mounts have a little give.. that could crack the frame and on a bike that will deal with some impact. I think there has been a reason why the engine has not been a stressed member up to this point. Its an obvious decision for simplicity and weight but there is some risk IMHO
  6. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    FWIW, in all the leadup model development, finite element analysis, road / offroad (real) testing kms etc... Do you reckon the factory has had a major (window lickers) brain fart?
    When did you last check your current bikes engine / frame mounts for the correct factory torque specs?..

This new parallel twin LC8 engine architecture demanded a different take on the frame and the conventional wisdom for a bike, clearly designed for real world off road work... Some say, a mere roadbike frame, engine as stressed member, no full cradle... Yeah but....

My hard earned money is on the factory having designed and made a motorcycle (frame / engine combo) which is fit for its design intent and active 'purpose'. It is now a well proven / documented platform that is... 'Ready to Race' (not that I will).

Sure there will be some shitty Beta / first Model teething issues (Meh)... But realistically, I don't expect to suffer catastrophic failure with my new 790R (when it fcuking finally........ gets delivered & farkled) breaking in half...

This, just an opinion from someone on the internets who hasn't ridden one yet (but can't wait).
    Venturer and a.c.e. like this.
  7. ThirdUncle

Oddometer:
    There's this just out from Motology.

Fast1, braaap!, snarf and 4 others like this.
  8. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    12:20.....790 vs 1090
  9. gearheadE30

Oddometer:
    KTM (and many other brands) adventure bikes all have the engine mounted as a stressed member as far as I know. It is one of the only ways to get appropriate rigidity without a full loop frame. Just because some of the mounts have aluminum or steel intermediate brackets as on the 950 and 990 doesn't mean it's not a stressed member, just that it may be tuned for some amount of flex. The head stays on most moto bikes are a great example of how this can be tuned for rider feel.

EDIT: just got a chance to watch that Motology vid. It's really solid, and they show Riemann getting after it in the second half and the 790 just takes it. Good stuff!
  10. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If Adam's 'Naxos Rally' vid doesn't dispell the silly, myopic nonsense spouted by the 'Listen here, it's only a road bike dressed up as an off-road bike' knuckleheads...
    Then again, who the fcuk gives a hoot 'bout them knuckleheads :)

KTM, KTM... Wherefore art thou? (with my fcukin 790R)... Can't sleep, eat, concentrate at work... And I'm the Boss :(
  11. ThirdUncle

Oddometer:
    I hope to have my hands on one soon so I can do an in-depth comparison with my 950SE.
  12. ThirdUncle

Oddometer:
    Another 790 review.

13. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
    I take it that gearheadE30 may or may not be the rider that rode a 790 in last years LAB2V?
    Whodatschrome likes this.
  14. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    2019-KTM-1290-SUPER-ADVENTURE-R-FRAME-min.jpg
  15. gearheadE30

Oddometer:
    Yep, that was me!
    dino702 likes this.
  16. motoman250f

Oddometer:
    That is an 1190 right?

this is pretty interesting to me, the 790 adv has more cross memebers in the subframe than other generations of 950/xx90. but much less in the core of the frame. They are beefing up the subframe and pulling material away from the main frame showing they are really confident in the engine as a stressed member,(thats what i think i see anyway). Its interesting that you see other adv bikes doing this but no dirt bikes.. draw your own conclusions......
  17. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:

1290, though the 1190s and super dukes are visibly similar
  18. Cracker1

Cracker1 n00b

Oddometer:
    holy sh@t buddy you have a lot to say. I had no idea you would have this kind of time in between your Dungeons and Dragons tournaments but I love it brutha.
    By the way I miss you buddy !!! Ok so I have never posted or replied to anything on this forum and to be honest I cane across this write up by accident but I will say @gearheadE30 you said it quite well. So I don’t really have any type of post other then to address a few of you guys that wanted to know how fat I am so here goes . I am 6’ and 255lbs in regular clothes and my guess would be aprox 290+ easy in full gear.
    Holy Sh@t my brutha how did you find the time between your Dungeons & Dragons tournaments to write all of this . I just came across this by total accident but this is really great.
    So after reading all of these I saw that there were a couple people wondering just how fat I really was so FYI I’m 6’ 255lbs and as you already know I loved my suspension set up and it worked great. As you stated it was the same for me when hitting huge G outs at race speed I would blown through the stroke but we are talking box stock suspension and I was impressed. I love your post man and it was really well done and I couldn’t have said it better.
    For anyone that cares here is my bike report on the new KTM 790R.
    The bike is the baddest ass effing adventure bike made to date. The more aggressive you are in the dirt the better this bike works. I’m suppose to get my new 790 tomrw so I’m really looking forward to taking the time to set it up from the ground up to my liking.
    This bike is plain and simple. Go buy a seat concepts taller seat and some Am’e heated grips and go riding.
    Can’t wait to hang out in CO at the rally buddy we are gonna have a blast

Attached Files:

19. gearheadE30

Oddometer:
    Hell yeah man it's going to be great! Gotta pick your brain for more riding tips too; talking to you and Quinn and everyone else has fixed a lot of bad habits I didn't know I had. :lol3 And I know I'm nerdy as all get out but D&D?? Really?? I'll have you know that instead of playing social fantasy games in someone's basement, I'm antisocially building another bike in my garage. You know, what those of us who didn't win a 790 and can't afford one have to do. :beer

[​IMG]

By the way, I did put up some on-bike footage with my kind of monotonous voice talking about it some too :hide

20. Cracker1

Cracker1 n00b

Oddometer:
    Dude I’m gonna be real cause you know how I am. This post, your story and your opinion is the absolute best worded, most entertaining, most truly informative, best read bike report I’ve ever read in my life. I am not big on these forums and don’t usually pay much attention to anyone’s opinion but I loved it brutha. I had no idea so you so well educated .
    And I think your garage is a absolute train wreck lol !!! You need to move out here so I can pay you to work on my bikes .
    My new 790 was “suppose” to be delivered last weds but they told me it’s still shipping now lol. Anyhoo dude we are going to have a killer time at the CO rally so can’t wait. I fly in weds night so I’ll hopefully see you then . Call or text me if you need anything
    Dr. Wolf, turbofan790 and ADVweekend like this.