KTM Ultimate Race/Merzouga Rally 790R Review

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by gearheadE30, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Brilloman

Brilloman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do either of you have a picture of your dash showing how the GPS and road book were mounted?
  2. Cracker1

Cracker1 n00b

Oddometer:
    FAE2806B-D8FF-4B1C-AB0E-72C7473E8021.jpeg 21AA5DFD-BE37-485B-A3CA-2A6597C84AAE.jpeg A4547CE6-0583-422F-9842-1DD29934CC13.jpeg
    I think I only have 1 or 2
    turbofan790 and Fabricator like this.
  3. Brilloman

Oddometer:
  4. Cracker1

Cracker1 n00b

Oddometer:
    those foam rally grips are the best adventure bike grips ever. AM’e grips are coming out with some bad ass heated fly by wire adventure bike grips that you will love.
  5. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really appreciate having you guys contribute.....I had AMEs on another bike and will now wait for them to come out for something for the 790....

I take it the Scott's mount was a one off for you guys?

I also need to figure out something for fitting an Acerbis fuel cap,,,,
  6. Noneking

Noneking Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sub
  7. Cracker1

Cracker1 n00b

Oddometer:
    The Scott’s set up we used was a one off st the time but I know BRP is now making a kit and even better in my opinion is GPR stabilizers will have a kit very soon.
    The fuel cap thing I don’t have any idea what we used other then it was a billet cap ‍♂️ And it was cool
    Nowwhat likes this.
  8. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think I know where you were riding today 20190629_135538.jpg
  9. BronNowo

BronNowo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    very "interesting" engine assessment, but don't agree on all counts. That engine didn't impressed me at all during my few test rides. BTW comparing it to AT and F800GS made me smile as for me 790R has no low down torque at all. You have to rev it like sport bike. LOL
  10. Brilloman

Oddometer:
    I’m guessing that’s where the adjustable slip mode comes in play. You just twist the throttle and the computer applies the traction.
    Rudderfeet likes this.
  11. BronNowo

BronNowo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    naah, they were not brave, they smart. Few bikes cost nothing for such company and this is free QA testing in progress for them.
    Whodatschrome likes this.
  12. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 @LC8Adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lol I know, the garage is a disaster. I need a bigger one! I gotta start working out my logistics to get out there but will let you know. Will try to be out there around the same time.

Move me out there, will work for beer and bike parts! :beer Ignition switch on the 950 failed over the weekend, maybe it's time for a 790 after all...

Everyone likes different characteristics - AT definitely is torquier but doesn't have the pull up top. The F800GS stalled easily, had decent midrange, but never felt happy actually charging hard and using more of the revs. Both very competent, but neither felt as lively as the 790 to me. So much depends on rider preference though; good thing there are a bunch of solid options out there now.

....we definitely did a lot of accelerated durability testing :photog
    turbofan790 and Velociraptor like this.
  13. gearheadE30

Oddometer:
    KTM posted some good chunks of the review to their blog on Friday!

https://blog.ktm.com/ktm-790-adventure-r-put-ultimate-race-test/

Also, here's your reminder to get signed up for the upcoming rider rally and 2020 Qualifier in September! Looking forward to meeting this year's competitors out there, and to seeing how many people bring their shiny new 790s out to play.
  14. Gaulin

Gaulin Orange (& Blue) Crush

Oddometer:
    That's pretty cool they published that. What you wrote really is the best and most technical bike review ever.

Looking at the blog and pictures on a smartphone sized screen, at first glance it looked like you and your competitor behind you are getting ready to piss on your bikes. Some kind of rally tradition ? :lol3

[​IMG]
    gearheadE30, godwinmt and Rudderfeet like this.
  15. gearheadE30

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I never noticed how that picture looked but you're probably the fifth person to comment on it. No water to wash the bike with in the desert, so you make do with what you've got! Gotta keep the bikes shiny for the cameras. :lol3
  16. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    @gearheadE30 I just noticed in that line-up of 790's they all appear to have the tall seats. I might look into getting one of those. I'm only 5'10" but the OEM seat is too wide, and creates a pinch point under my thighs. How did you like the tall seat for comfort? And what about height? I know it's taller but with it being narrower does that cancel out the extra height a bit in regards to placing your feet on the ground?

Thanks
    nibby likes this.
  17. gearheadE30

Oddometer:
    Yep, they all have the tall seat, though I did ride one with the standard seat as well. The step in the stock seat is right where my behind wanted to be, and was too low for my gangly height - I am 6'4". The tall seat was a massive improvement, and the height didn't bother me at all. It felt a lot like the Renazco I have on my 950, which is definitely a complement. While it is slightly narrower, I don't think that made much difference in canceling out the height - the stock seat is low because it has a big step in it more than from being wide I thought. I have always been okay with giving up the ability to touch the ground in order to make it easier to actually ride the bike, so I think it is a very worthwhile upgrade.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  18. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a nice upgrade. Nice to hear. I should clarify my poor use of height cancelling verbiage - the stock seat is lower but wide. To me it's the width that causes some riders difficulty in comfortably touching the ground with both feet. I was thinking since the tall seat is narrower, the riders legs aren't spread laterally before they have the ability to drop downwards like the regular seat and so the tall seat could actually not 'feel' greatly taller than the regular seat when straddling the bike. Coming off a 500, and the 300xc I am much more used to an enduro type seat shape. The stock seat on the 790 tends to eventually cut off circulation due to the lateral pinch points under the thighs. I don't recall my enduro seat ever once causing the neurological deficits that the stock 790 seat begins to regularly. Thats something I'd very much like to eliminate .. perhaps the tall seat, being as comfortable as you suggest, would fit the bill.

I agree - focusing on rider comfort versus the ability to touch the ground the odd time it's required to dab. I'd rather be comfortable the great majority of the time and become far better at shifting my weight faster to dab here and there. I watch races like the Erzberg and it blows my mind how they can navigate those rock gardens and rarely fall over. Rock garden or not, thats a skill I'd love to learn .. right now I simply teeter over and go boom. lol
    Brilloman and gearheadE30 like this.
  19. Pipeman

Pipeman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree the 800gs was boring but have you tried the F850gs? Curious how that motor compares to the 790r if you have. Great write up and thank you, looks like it was a blast !
  20. Andreim92

Andreim92 Lost

Oddometer:
    Can you post some HQ pics of that beast? The 950 I mean, and waiting for that YT video about the 950. Yea, I;m that guy from YT :rofl