KTMonda CR500 450sxf conversion

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by jar944, Jan 20, 2012.

1. jar944

jar944 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Scott, Congratulations on the successful completion of your build, feels great doesn't it.

Stalling is a jetting issue (imho) more than a engine design issue. if you go rich enough for starting to become difficult it becomes very very hard to stall, finding a balance between starting and stalling is key. Pre-rekluse The 500 didn't stall particularly easy (i cant say it was hard to stall) but it chugged along through rocky rough slow stuff as good or better then any other bike I've ridden. I've never been a fan of a FWW, I don't like what they do to the power delivery feeling.

My reason for using the EXP over buying a Pro were twofold, First I already had a 450sxf exp disc (same as the cr250 & cr450) and second I hate (really HATE) the feeling of the pro at the lever. I'm not really a fan of how it engages either. I still use the clutch like normal, and with the exp it feels and behaves just like a stock clutch (that you have a really hard time stalling)

The only time I notice the vibes is if I switch between 2t and 4t bikes, otherwise I don't notice except revving it in neutral, or occasionally on miles and miles of high speed 2 track/fire roads. Just make sure all your mounts are tight.
  2. leglessracing

leglessracing n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Jar,
    I've joined the forum to speak to you about these conversions! I've got a cr500 engine that I'm looking to put into a Ktm frame. I've got the option of using a 450/525 rfs frame, sxf350 2011/12 frame or a sxf250/350 2013/15 frame. Which would be the better frame to use for a conversion? I mean in the way of ease to do the conversion? Or would it be better to look for a sxf450 frame?
    Cheers!
    Marc
  3. davesupreme

davesupreme grand poobah

Oddometer:
  4. jar944

jar944 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Look for a 450sxf. The 350 or 250 need a 450 cradle or custom replacment
  5. leglessracing

leglessracing n00b

Oddometer:
    Ok perfect! I've finally managed to sort out a 08 sxf 450 frame!
    Is there any way that you could make me up a set of bushes and pivot spacers for where the swing arm mounts?
    If you want to discuss further please email me at leglessracing@yahoo.co.uk for a quicker reply! :-)
  6. jar944

jar944 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry I have 4 solid months of backed up remodeling work on my never ending house project.
  7. leglessracing

leglessracing n00b

Oddometer:
    No worries! I will try and get some made up in the uk! Good luck with the remodel!