Kuberg Freerider

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by liberpolly, Oct 23, 2019.

1. liberpolly

liberpolly Nu, shoyn, nudnick!

Oddometer:
    Does anyone here have Kuberg Freerider? A guy is selling it here, want to make sure it's worth buying used vs. new Sur Ron.
  2. motodojo

motodojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't have one but the Kuberg weighs 80 and Sur Ron 110. Kuberg is Czech and has dealer network, one in Florida and many in Europe. Sur Ron seems to focus on selling whole bikes, not parts.
  3. smdub

smdub Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thats an interesting comparison. I bought a used Sur-Ron for a good deal so I guess I fall on that side of the fence (I've seen 3 avail on Craigslist so they turn up used on ocassion.) My kid has a used Oset 20.0R (instead of a Kuberg). Back when I researched the Kuberg/Oset, the kubergs were as rare as hen's teeth. Searching for the freerider that appears it may still be the case? Hard to find many real owners/reviews on them.

The SurRon has 32Ah@60V (16S) whereas the Kuberg is 20Ah@48V (13S). So the SurRon has twice the Wh battery capacity so some of the weight difference is there. Only major apparent design difference is the SurRon has a mid belt drive reduction (vs apparent single stage in the Kuberg?) so you don't have to use huge rear gears. Luna cycle sells a lot of replacement parts for the SurRon. The Kuberg is slightly more powerful out of the box (8kW vs 6kW) but for well under the price difference, the SR can be upgraded w/ a BSI controller. Not sure what aftermarket upgrade options are avail for the Kuberg. The SR has a pretty large 'hop-up' community support if that is your thing.

One thing to consider w/ any bike is tire choices. The SurRon runs 19" rims and has a decent amount of room between the chainstays. Motorcycle tires have a limited selection in 19" (as all moto-x bikes are 19" rears). I can install a proper trials tire from Shinko for example. I think the Kuberg is 20+" wheels and will likely be limited to mtb type tires? I know the two guys here w/ OSET 24s complain there isn't better rubber avail for them (also a 19" rim but maybe nothing fatter will fit in them? I didn't ask for more details.)

The I'm sure the Kuberg is a hoot to ride. Go give it a test ride. If the price is right for the level of fun it gives, its 'worth it'. I personally don't think the Kuberg is worth the ~$2k premium new over the SR but I'd still probably buy one if I got a smokin' deal on it used.
    Bucho and voltsxamps like this.
  4. motodojo

Oddometer:
    The owner of Luna Cycles which is the US importer of Sur Ron says in the Fast Electric Bike podcast that the Chinese are interested in selling whole bikes, not parts and he has to pull parts from complete bikes to provide parts for customers. Not sure how the Czechs do business but this seems to be the Chinese model.

I have an Oset 24 and haven't had to buy any parts for it yet since I've only had it a few weeks but they seem to have a good dealer network and parts seem easily available. An upgrade I might do is the 17 inch rear rim which will allow fitting a soft gummy trials tire which is much wider than the two 19 inch trials front tires is comes with. In the UK they sell the Oset 24 Jr model which comes with the 17 inch rim but is not available in the US except buying the wheel separate.

I've read that on the low end Sur Ron you will need to replace the fork and if you ride in mud, switch out the belt with chain drive. Both not necessary for casual city riding.

The Kuberg wifi and app sounds interesting and something every electric bike should have.

Kuberg is making a big push now in the US with lots of models. When a dealer arrives nearby, I want to do a test ride.
    https://www.kubergnorthamerica.com
  5. smdub

smdub Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good to know. I've watched some of the podcasts but haven't sat through them all.

I've had good luck going straight to OSET for fixes. We upgraded our 2015 controller to 2018 software version. I've also bought parts directly from them.

Yes, but the $ difference makes replacing the fork easy. I bet most users will never want anything better. The black edition already comes w/ a fork roughly equivalent to the Kuberg. Hardcore users will put the fork on they wanted anyway. (One local fellow here has swapped the whole front end of a Honda 100(?) onto his.)
    FWIW, None of the SurRons come w/ the final belt drive as std (well, there were the 20 ltd edition models that did)

I don't care for apps much. I'd rather be able to setup the throttle profile or something detailed than limit top speed and such wirelessly. I've never wanted to adjust the things they allow on any other vehicle I own. Yes, it has some gee-wiz sex appeal to it but wired USB would be fine too. That stuff typically gets used a lot at first and then never touched again. The app would be good on the kids bike (But I don't have to remember to ride w/ my phone when I'm riding w/ kiddo on his OSET - I just turn the knobs.) The Freerider isn't a kids bike though.

I'd like to test ride one! (who wouldn't?) I wish thier website(s) were more focused on use and not stupid flashy scrolling.
  6. oldtrialer

oldtrialer Trials since 74

Oddometer:
    You can't get a soft gummy trials tire for the 17" Oset wheel. Just the VeeRubber it comes with. I've been searching for 2 years for one.
  7. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    That's so true for so many new bikes!
  8. motodojo

Oddometer:
    This is the one I bought.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vee-Rubber-VRM308R-Trials-Rear-Tires-3-50-R17-TL-Radial/193018329734
    Splat Shop UK sells the 24 JR with this tire installed. They said for a certain Jr. class in the UK they have to run this tire and the sales rep says it gets better grip than the skinny 19 which is obvious. It weighs a bit more but the bike is not lacking in power for me. It is soft and gummy but not as gummy as a Dunlop 803GP. It even says tubeless on it but I don't know where to get a tubless rim for it and the JR model has a rimlock.

My Oset 24 has three power delivery knobs and when I let a newbie try it out I will dial the knobs down. I wish it had an app to track hours and especially if it could adjust the power curve.

Yesterday I posted on the Facebook Sur Ron group page owned by Luna Cycle about the Freerider, trying to spark a debate about the two. I got kicked out of the group even though I didn't criticize the Light Bee. Maybe they see Kuberg as a real threat. Kuberg is going after a real dealer network and if it is a better bike I would pay more for it.
  9. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    Wow. I am also in that group and I didn't get a chance to see it. I may just get the Kuberg for the heck of it then :)
  10. motodojo

Oddometer:
    I suggested that since Luna and Kuberg CA are 100 miles apart, they should have a race at Lake Elsinore.

Kuberg and Oset don't use the gear reduction belt drive like the Light Bee so the rear sprocket is big. I don't like how the Freerider looks and prefer the HD concept bike I saw at the Peterson Automotive Museum. Kuberg needs to do something different with the seat and battery box. Everything else looks cool.
    harley dirt bike.JPG
    MJSfoto1956 likes this.
  11. oldtrialer

oldtrialer Trials since 74

Oddometer:
    That's what came on my wheel when I got it from Oset. It's ok, but not as good as an X-11. Just spins too easy even on dry rocks.
  12. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    Yeah the gap in front of the seat is weird, it needs a "frunk" :)

upload_2019-10-25_15-12-14.png
  13. kiwial

kiwial Allweatherrider

Oddometer:
    Worth reading:
    https://www.electricbike.com/kuberg-freerider/
    Buying used vs. new:
    Quote:
    "The bike’s battery pack is only guaranteed for a rated 300 charge cycles..."
    "When new, I was getting about 90 minutes of spirited trail riding from the pack. Today, the power LED was flashing red after only 70 minutes of riding...
    liberpolly likes this.
  14. motodojo

Oddometer:
    That's a good review but from 2017. They now offer a 12kw version in addition to 8kw. Light Bee is 6kw.
    Another Czech bike:
    https://revx.pro/en/gallery/
  15. kiwial

kiwial Allweatherrider

Oddometer:
  16. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    I would be using it for city riding.