Kuberg vs Oset

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by chtucker, Sep 17, 2018.

1. chtucker

chtucker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    looking at a MX style bike

Kuberg is recommending their X Force 50

Has anyone had side by side experience? I really like the idea of electric, but want something serviceable that I can get parts for
  2. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    I have no experience with Kuberg.

But we are on our second OSET. I put a seat on both of them. My kid sits most of the time and just rides around like its a dirtbike.
  3. Ron_Luning

Ron_Luning Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Which OSET are you comparing?

OSET makes the MX-10 which is a comparable form factor as an electric dirt bike rather than the rest of their models which are all trials bikes. The Kuberg Cross X-Force Pro 50 is significantly larger than the OSET MX-10, and the recommended age ranges barely overlap (6-12 Kuberg and 4-7 OSET).

Size-wise, although not the same intended use, the OSET 20R is a close match. However, it is a trials bike with lead batteries and far less power according to the specs. It costs >$1000 less than the Kuberg, but possibly for good reason.

Service on the OSETs from my experience is more or less nothing. They do have a conventional chain (no O-rings) which would be a major pain if used in a dirt bike instead of trials type environment. I have no experience with Kuberg, but on electrics there is just chassis maintenance. Anything else is because it broke.
  4. jeffk95z

jeffk95z n00b

Oddometer:
    I picked up 2 kubergs for my kids several years back. I have both their smallest unit, 12" Start and thet next size up 16" Trial-E. With seats for both, like Ron above, my kid sit mostly at this point. I have to do almost 0 maintenance - go over the bolts now and then and clean/lube the chain.

I've yet had to replace any parts but will be needing brake pads for the TrialE bike, they are easy to source.

How tall is your kid? If I was going small, I'd do the Oset MX-10 or if larger, the X-Force 50 for the MX style on both.

Be prepared for LOTS of fun!! I ended up picking up 2 Electric Motion trials bikes (for my wife and I) so we could ride around with the kids and get the whole family involved! E bikes are so great for that, easy to go on a small ride in the neighborhood without anyone noticing/complaining
    Bucho and bionicman like this.
  5. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    The quiet/stealth factor of electric dirtbikes can't be overstated. In my old neighborhood my kid would ride around in the school field on weekends and nobody would bat an eye. I even had him riding around in a public park and nobody even seemed to notice. It makes no real noise and I had my kid wearing a bicycle helmet. People just don't see it as a dirtbike.
  6. chtucker

Oddometer:
    That is my intent- Dirt riding isn't close and I am guessing the neighbors won't freak out about electrics.

The good is that my kids who are just about 9yo have been riding without training wheels since they were 4yo. The boy is "average" at 54" or so. The girl not so much, she is almost 5' tall at 9yo and 80lbs. The OSET MX-10 looks small. I was unaware that a seat was available for the trials bikes. The Kuberg X-50 is what I was thinking, but then again $8k for two bikes makes me want to puke. I am sure they will have blast though. 2 gas 100-125cc bikes for out of town trips and some cheap electrics would be cheaper and probably more practical.
  7. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    Yes, sounds like the smallest OSET will be too small. You would be looking at probably the 20.0 for your taller daughter. And maybe the 16.0 for your son.

Goodluck with whatever you end up with
  8. Ron_Luning

Ron_Luning Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe look at the Razor cheap electric bikes. There's no telling if the kids will be as into the bikes as you expect, and if you drop $8k on a pair of Kubergs you may be disappointed. I think the Razors are like $600 each. Low quality to an experienced motorcyclist's eye for sure, but kids won't know.
  9. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    There is an ugly truth to this. For every kid who is excited to ride a dirtbike there are 2-3+ more that don't see how this is better than their "screen time"
  10. chtucker

Oddometer:
    My kds have been begging me since we spent some time in Colorado camping next to a family who had the Razors. My kids were ripping it. Both were doing power slides within the first few minutes in the loose silt. A few wipeouts, no tears. He rock climbs weekly at the indoor park with me and both can ride the ramps at the skatepark. They don’t get that from me!

My kids don’t get “screen time”, we don”t own an XBox. They do both have email, Kindle readers and know how to Google to conduct research.

The razors would blend in very well though
    Bucho likes this.
  11. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    Good to hear.
    About half or more of my dirtbike friends can't get their kids to want to ride a dirtbike. Even my kid is a little lukewarm about it.
  12. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    upload_2018-10-10_15-47-24.jpeg
    My son is just over 5’ tall. OSET 20.0 w/ seat
  13. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    upload_2018-10-10_15-49-7.jpeg
    First time on this hill.
  14. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    upload_2018-10-10_15-49-59.jpeg

He liked this ramp up the step
  15. Glov3r

Glov3r ThrottleJunkie

Oddometer:
    I bought my son a 2015 Oset 12.5R, for his third Christmas. (He was about 2 1/2) We started him on Striders when he was about a year and half. I loved the 12.5R, It has a top speed setting and a throttle response setting. I turned both settings down all the way, and removed the foot pegs. This allowed him to ride the Oset like a Strider, around the house, around the yard. Within three months he was riding it with the pegs on holding it up with no trouble. The seat height was perfect for him to begin with and I purchased him a foam seat from advdesigns.com, once he got a little taller. I didn’t have one issue with the Oset. The styling and design is beyond amazing with the anodized parts, the disc brakes, easy charging etc. If this bike is made in China they did a damn good job of it. My son rode that bike up until last week, at four years old. (3’6”-60lbs) He rode it like a dirtbike, not much trials action!! Riding it like this has its disadvantages when it comes to battery life. I had four sets of the lead acid batteries that I could rotate into the bike to get an unlimited ride time. (Rotating the batteries and using an off the bike charger kit) At his age he was to small for a PW50,they are heavy and the throttle response is like a dog. I would highly recommend the Oset for a small kid, but make sure you purchase the R model of you have the choice. The customer service at Oset is second to none, and Steve Deines at the corporate head quarters in Colorado is beyond amazing with his customer support!
    Bucho likes this.
  16. Glov3r

Glov3r ThrottleJunkie

Oddometer:
    178B11CB-E20C-4219-87A7-A3462215D5EE.jpeg 9250B78C-1EC2-43A3-845F-CE5243173CF4.jpeg
    First Ride. And Last Ride (top pic)
    on Oset 12.5R
    Bucho likes this.
  17. Glov3r

Glov3r ThrottleJunkie

Oddometer:
    We picked up a new 2016 Kuberg Cross white edition on Friday. (I had to sell the Oset 12.5R and was honestly sick about it! But I couldn’t afford to hold onto it and buy him another bike!)

The Kuberg is a very nice bike, but I don’t see one single advantage in the craftsmanship over the Oset. The Kuberg kind of has a funky look to it, but it’s growing on me. I like the magnetic key and the fact I can get the Kuberg app on my phone, and set different speeds etc. With a seat height of around 25” inches I was very Leary about this being to big. I backed the spring down on the rear shock giving it a 22” seat height and he is able ride it just fine. He isn’t flat footed but can touch with one foot when he is leaning the bike. The bike has three speed settings. We started it on the first setting which was a little to slow. He rode this session on the second setting and I’m not going up to third one for a bit. The first thing I noticed about this bike is that it absolutely rips! The major disadvantage is not having the throttle response dial. But I look at it as teaching great throttle control. The tires on this thing are ridiculously heavy, and like blocks. (Kuberg now has Kenda Millvilles on these bikes) The other thing I hate is that there is no handlebar stop on the neck. This lets the bars spin almost all the way around, and my son got gouged hard on a slow speed tip over. The forks are from a mountain bike and will do the job. It seems like the rake is a a few degrees out to far. This is a great bike for the pw50 age group and with its few shortcomings, has many advantages over a pw50. Better suspension, better brakes, and ease of use. Plug it in, let it charge and go.

Attached Files:

18. Glov3r

Glov3r ThrottleJunkie

Oddometer:
    I’m working on a spreadsheet comparison of all the electric MX style bikes, I should have it up by end ov the night
    Bucho, BikePilot and full of days like this.
  19. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice! Gasgas also has a small electric Moto style bike.

For general having fun in the yard and 'hood I would lean toward the trials style bikes and riding. Much more conducive to small spaces. Also doesn't tear up the surface as much. Even gas powered trials bikes are quiet enough for use in suburbia. I rode mine weekly in my yard in NoVa.
  20. Glov3r

Glov3r ThrottleJunkie

Oddometer:
    The GasGas and Betas are top notch