kubiaks tw650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by kubiak, Jul 12, 2012.

1. thebigman

thebigman XR's all the way . Big Thumps or V-twins

Oddometer:
  2. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. thebigman

thebigman XR's all the way . Big Thumps or V-twins

Oddometer:
  4. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I had no idea Steve was having trouble. He is a great person for sure!
  5. tiny-wheel-200

tiny-wheel-200 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thats a beautiful and well done bike. Can you tell me how much clearance there is from the tire to the chain and swingarm? Also how much distance between the forks?
  6. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks for the compliment! I have about 3/8 of a inch between the chain and tire sidewall and a little more than that on the other side, not much but never hits the tire. on the frontend i have about a 1/4 inch on each side with a 4.60x18 front tire. i had a 5.10x18 tire on it before but had to skim off a little off the edge of the tire to clear the fork tubes.
  7. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    Motorcycle is sold. I'm glad my best friend has it now though!
  8. Cumbacheech

Cumbacheech XRated

Oddometer:
    Kubiak, what's next?
  9. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm making slow progress on my T-Strom project, following your lead.

I had the machine shop cut and move the sprocket flange over so that the center between the spoke flanges would be centered on the bike with the sprocket aligned.
    I had hoped I could just move the rim over but the spoke angle was lost on the left side and the wheel would be too weak.
    So, off to the machine shop for a cut and weld.

Here it is all machined and installed:

[​IMG]

I was having them make bearing sleeves anyway because I want to use the 20mm V-Strom rear axle instead of the TW 17mm.

I thought I could just use different bearings but nobody makes a 40 OD 20 ID bearing.
    Argh! What could be simple, seldom is.

But I could use 37mm OD 20mm ID bearings with a sleeve turned and installed in the hub.

They did a great job and now the rim and hub is at the powder paint shop to come back looking new for me to lace up with new spokes.

Oh, the cost for the sleeves, spacer, and weld?

$750 :yikes

That hurts.

He does very good work and said he didn't even charge me for all the hours they spent on it measuring and making sure it was perfect.
    I believe him since he has done all my machine shop work as well as being the only shop recommended by riders here on ADV.
    He builds race bikes and rides and understands what we need.
    Everything just takes so much longer to do right the first time and all one-off work is time consuming.

But the price was about 3 times what I was anticipating.
    Ah, well, it is a learning experience.
    I learned to get an estimate, pay for his time making the estimate, and save my money by NOT doing what I had planned to do. :loco

I ended up getting a new Sun rim (2.75x18) and spokes for the front wheel using my spare DR650 hub.

So my T-Strom is going to cost a LOT more to build than yours did unfortunately. :(

I'm using Hybrid forks with DR650 tubes and the V-Strom legs with Cogent DDC's and stiffer springs.
    Stock rear shock for now (no $!) and I still have the fuel tank and seat to fabricate, along with a new exhaust system and skid plate.
    Lot's of winter shop time fun!

This is before I took the wheel apart for machining (with 21" DR front wheel):

[​IMG]

About 10 day turnaround time for the paint and then I can start lacing the shiny new wheels.

Oh, boy! :beer
  10. NorthBayPete

NorthBayPete Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know its kinda late but I was looking at a pic of the wheel on a Suzuki VanVan RV200 and I believe it has 36 spokes and has the exact same tire sizes as the TW200

Attached Files:

JagLite likes this.
  11. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We can hope...
    I am guessing Suzi buys the same steel rim that Yamaha uses though.
    Since the rest of the Van Van is a clone of the TW.