Kurviger route planning map.

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by zzzak, Mar 28, 2017.

1. GarryPrater

GarryPrater Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I checked my Kurviger installation and it doesn't show permission for photos. It has permissions for files, position, network and voice. This allows route file storage, GPS, internet connection, and route guidance.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    theregulator likes this.
  2. kurviger

kurviger Bloke from Kurviger.de

Oddometer:
    The permission dialog is a bit unclear, unfortunately we cannot change the text of the dialog. The permission is required to read route files from your device and to save them to your device. Pictures are also files :).

Also have a look at our getting started tutorial, that describes the different permissions as well.
  3. Readysteady

Readysteady n00b

Oddometer:
    What I'm asking is, if you accept, can it look at and scavenge info from all my files and pictures ? Is this not a bit of a security issue ?
  4. Readysteady

Readysteady n00b

Oddometer:
    Oops, you answered already. I guess it refreshed when I posted question. Downloaded, and the circular route for my area was similar to one I use, so looks like a good app
  5. kurviger

Oddometer:
    First of all, let me assure you, that we don't scavenge any info from your files or do anything malicious. Unfortunately, the Android permission system does not allow fine granular permissions, so either we have file access or we don't. We want to make the file permission optional in the future and only ask for it, when you try to open or save a file.
  6. dlb1203

dlb1203 n00b

Oddometer:
    Is it possible to modify a route by dragging? I'm trying to do just that but it isn't working.

Thanks
  7. GarryPrater

GarryPrater Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You can drag the waypoints to modify the route. If you you can also change the order in the waypoint list.
  8. dlb1203

dlb1203 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks Garry for the quick response. I'm planning my route on the web site. I can move the start and end points, but I don't see any waypoints in between, or any option to make them visible.
  9. GarryPrater

GarryPrater Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Click a location on the map (may be right click) and select 'add intermediate point.' Zoom in to drag the waypoint. Repeat as needed.
  10. dlb1203

dlb1203 n00b

Oddometer:
    Got it!! Thanks!!!
  11. GarryPrater

GarryPrater Adventurer

Oddometer:
  12. kurviger

Oddometer:
    You can also left-click on the route, this will create an intermediate point along the route that can be dragged.
  13. SuperChuck

SuperChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Howdy folks!

Hoping Mister K will chime in. I love the Kurviger website, I have planned a few rides using it, and I just purchased the Kurviger Pro app. I even recommended it to a friend who will be going on a long, soul-searching (car) road trip this next year.

I am planning to ride a portion of the MABDR this spring, and I am trying to bring that track into Kurviger.

I've read the walkthrough on the K. website, and if my observation and personal experience is correct, it looks like Kurviger will not blindly follow a GPS track, and that it needs to rely on its own algorithms for routing, which means that I personally have a lot of hands-on computer work ahead of me in order to add and drag enough waypoints onto my route in order to 'fix/trick' the kurviger routing in order to exactly follow the MABDR Track.

Here is a link to the Kurviger Uploading walkthrough: https://docs.kurviger.de/web/importing_gpx_track

Here is a link to the MABDR GPX Track: (click Download GPS Tracks on the far right menu): https://ridebdr.com/MABDR

I'm planning on riding the MABDR from about Frederick, MD, north to the area around State College, PA (Rothrock State Forest perhaps).

In the past I have used OSMand, and it follows a premade GPX track blindly, which is a blessing and a curse. If you miss a waypoint, you're SOL, and the rest of your ride is boned. But as long as you stay on track, uploading and following a premade route is simple and easy.

Kurviger has great rerouting options, which is why I bought it (and for its original route creation benefits), but I feel that if a dumb, free, and largely unsupported app like OSMand can easily insert and follow a GPX track, it seems to me that the loving community and great minds behind our beloved Kurviger should also have the same ability.

Is there a way to 'ignore' Kurviger's route creation algorithm when importing a GPX file? If not, is there a chance we might see an update including that ability in the next month or so?

If not, I may have to use OSMand for this trip, and only use Kurviger if I need to do side-trips, etc. I'm hoping to use Kurviger for everything because it's brilliant, but in this one case it's not (and I imagine I'm not the only bloke hoping to use premade or downloaded GPX tracks in a hands-off user-friendly way).

Anybody else figure out a workaround?

Cheers ya'll!
    Chuck
    Rich Rider likes this.
  14. 919nick

919nick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some portions or the MABDR are not routable. You can have Kurviger create a route along the track for most of it, but there will be gaps. I'm also planning MABDR trip in the spring and I think I'm gonna use two apps. Galileo Pro to store all the tracks and waypoints, the Kurviger for each days route. There will be points where I'll have to get off the calculated route and just follow the red line. Then rejoin the route down the road.
    SuperChuck likes this.
  15. kurviger

Oddometer:

Thanks for the question Chuck. As a rule of thumb, Kurviger tries to calculate routes that follow the local laws, so we don't allow access to private property and closed roads (when correctly marked in the road data).

If you import the track using a max of 200 waypoints, it will mostly follow the MABDR.

I am just briefly looking through the track to check why it won't work in places. I fixed a couple of obvious issues. With the next data update in the next 2 weeks, it should already work better.

These roads are marked as private roads, there you would have to follow the track or check the local situation:
    https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/20215504
    https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/20217779
    https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/65572002 (I am pretty sure this should not be private)
    https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/11814696
    https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/11966081

Around 40.322991,-77.584763 and 40.349684,-77.554207 a part of the track is missing in OSM. Not sure why, but it could be added to the map if anyone knows where it exactly runs through the forest. It's not really visible on satellite images.

Other than that, the rest should be fixable with a couple of extra waypoints :). Just wait 1-2 weeks for the new data to arrive. Then I expect that most parts of the track should work.

Cheers,
    Robin
  16. 919nick

919nick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If the Kurviger and Galileo Pro (now called Guru) apps ever have a love child, it would be the perfect motorcycle navigation app.
    kurviger likes this.
  17. SuperChuck

Oddometer:

Robin,

Many thanks, I'll be on the lookout and will update my planned route accordingly.

Chuck
    kurviger likes this.
  18. SuperChuck

Oddometer:
    Robin (and others),

Do you know if there is a way to specify a 'minimum' higher waypoint count when importing gpx tracks? I broke the MABDR track into sections using an online GPX editor, then imported my first track section, with the setting 'maximum of 200 waypoints'. The resultant kurviger route has thirty-some waypoints (not 200). Does that mean that the source file only has that many waypoints, and its not possible to import at a higher 'resolution'?

I used this method for my first track, and added/dragged a few waypoints to correct the kurviger route to mostly match the MABDR track (save for the one Private road section). Then ported it to my app using the QR code scanner (which is super awesome and convenient I might add). So my first section is good to go, just wondering if anyone's figured out a way to import at a higher accuracy (with less manual correction needed).

Cheers,
    Chuck
  19. kurviger

Oddometer:
    Hi Chuck,

it is unusual that Kurviger goes down to 3X waypoints if you select 200. Usually tracks consist of thousands of points and we need to remove points to create a routeable route. The removal usually leads to less waypoints than you asked for. Is it the same for the other tracks as well, or is this a one-time occurrence?

Cheers,
    Robin
  20. SuperChuck

Oddometer:

Robin,

I tried importing another track from the MABDR, and it also had only thirty or so waypoints. Then to test it I cleared everything then imported an older route that I had designed. That one when imported had the full 200 waypoints.

Good to know it's working as expected. In regard to the MABDR track, there may be more variables at play. I downloaded the entire full track, then since I'm not traveling the entirety of it, I split that downloaded track into it's separate sections by opening it up with an online GPX editor. Perhaps that online editor did something to purge additional data within the now split up file.

Regardless, its not a big concern of mine since other tracks are importing just fine.

Many thanks for your help and for your ongoing responsiveness!

Chuck
    kurviger likes this.