Kurviger route planning map.

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by zzzak, Mar 28, 2017.

1. kurviger

kurviger Bloke from Kurviger.de

Oddometer:
    Hi Chuck,

I just had another crack at the MABDR, I fixed a couple of roads and played around with it.

I think the current state doesn't look too bad. I cleaned up the GPX file (attached) and. It's still not 100% but it's close enough to ride I reckon. I'd go for it in the current state ;).

https://kurv.gr/HxkaW

Have fun :).

Cheers,
    Robin

Attached Files:

2. SuperChuck

SuperChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is great, thank you very much Robin!
    kurviger likes this.
  3. SuperChuck

Oddometer:
    Just got back from a 40-minute jaunt over my lunch break using the Kurviger Round Trip feature. It's great! Took me on some really fun roads that I hadn't known before.

Unfortunately, my MABDR ride is being postponed until the Pennsylvania snow melts... definitely this spring though!

Everyone should have this app.

Question: Does anyone know if you can Record a Track using Kurviger? I'd like to use it on random weekend rides (without navigation) to log distance, and so I can retrace my steps to any really cool roads I come across.

Cheers,
    Chuck
  4. sl3v

sl3v Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Are you planning to release a iPhone version? I currently use Scenic but it's very old and not being updated for iPhone X/XS.
  5. kurviger

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback Chuck! Currently, it's not possible to record tracks with the Kurviger app right now. We plan to add this feature in a future version though.

No current plans, sorry. We do work together with Scenic and AFAIK there is a big update coming - I don't know about the different iPhone versions and how they are supported.
    SuperChuck and IDRIDR like this.
  6. AlfromNH

AlfromNH Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great website and app- big props to the developer(s)! :thumb

Is it possible to rename the waypoints when creating a route? I don't know how they would export/transfer to the phone app, but it would be nice during route creation if nothing else.
    Capture.JPG
  7. kurviger

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind words. Currently, it's unfortunately not yet possible to rename waypoints. This is something we are looking into though.
  8. rattis

rattis Long timer

Oddometer:
    how do I get offline maps of the USA for my android?
  9. kurviger

Oddometer:
    Have a look at our offline maps guide here. The map files for the us are here.
  10. Dillo

Dillo Almost Awesome

Oddometer:

Hi Robin,

Are you still looking at having a "more dirt" option?

-Avi
  11. kurviger

Oddometer:
    It's still something we are considering. However, it's not extremely straight forward, as the data quality is seriously lacking in several places. We are looking into it, but it won't be released short term I fear.

What you can do already is to use the very curvy option and avoid main roads. This will already produce quite a lot of dirt roads, where it doesn't use a dirt road, this could be already a hint that there could be an issue with the data. I did a fair bit of testing with different parameters but the results were not what one would expect.

Cheers,
    Robin
    NSFW likes this.
  12. GarryPrater

GarryPrater Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Robin,
    I really appreciate the right-click link to open the location in Google maps. This helps me assess the type of road surface zooming in on satellite view. In nine miles on Bull Pen Road in North Carolina there was 1 mile of loose gravel, 2 miles of single-line pavement, 2 miles of hard smooth dirt, and the rest two-lane country road. And I made it home just before the sky opened up.
    kurviger likes this.
  13. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    subscribed!

i find it very friendly, useful and best of all, i want to support a fellow advrider.
    kurviger likes this.
  14. nzrian

nzrian renegade master Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just download the pro version on my Android, looks good.
    Also imported a route for a race I am going to in Zambia, worked flawless.
    Big thumbs up.
    kurviger and Rich Rider like this.
  15. mslim

mslim If it's worth doing... it's worth overdoing

Oddometer:
    I enjoy Kurviger Pro and think it's a step in the right direction for moto touring. I do have a couple of questions.

Would it be possible in the future to modify a route on the Kurviger app itself without having to call up the website to do it? Also does Kurviger update it self like Waze if you stray off the route or take a small detour? Does it have a pause feature to suspend directions while you gas up or eat lunch?
  16. SuperChuck

Oddometer:

In my experience the app has auto rerouting which you can turn on or off, but it needs an internet signal for this feature to work. I'm in Maryland, US, and there's internet pretty much everywhere around here, but I imagine that (needing internet) could be an issue since most of us stray off grid from time to time.

I think the app contacts the internet in order to find your various route options, but once you've saved one, you can then turn on your download offline apps. But if you go offline like this, I don't think auto rerouting works.

Of course, I'm just a casual user, and the developer usually chimes in here from time to time. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Ps, I love the app and use it all the time!
  17. GarryPrater

GarryPrater Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't think a wifi signal is required for rerouting. I ride the mountains in western North Carolina where there is often no cell service and of course no wifi (I usually turn it off anyway). Rerouting works for me.
    I often turn off the rerouting feature so it preserves the planned route. The it shows an arrow pointing to the last point to help me get back on the route.
  18. kurviger

Oddometer:
    It's easy to modify the route in the app. For example long press on a waypoint and move it. Long press the map at some point to set waypoints. Have a look at our getting started tutorial.
  19. quidy

quidy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is there option in Kurviger for scenic routes, not Just curvy?
  20. theregulator

theregulator Shut Up and Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    No