Kurviger route planning map.

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by zzzak, Mar 28, 2017.

1. CvFactor

CvFactor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tried the Pro App on my last trip and it works awesome. As discussed above, it can"t always find a specific street address which is OK. I can find the GPS coordinates in Google Maps which are in decimal degrees I believe. When I copy and paste this from Google Maps into Kurviger search it does nothing.

If the issue is Kurviger doen't recognize the Google Maps coordinate format, this would be a nice feature to implement in future updates.
    kurviger likes this.
  2. kurviger

kurviger Bloke from Kurviger.de

Oddometer:
    A nice workflow to transfer an address from GMaps to Kurviger is described here. There is also the option to use the "go to" feature to zoom to a specific coordinate. Does this help already?
  3. CvFactor

CvFactor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No problem. I can get around this issue, and I can understand why you want Kurviger to be different than GMaps as discussed in the link.

P.S.

It would be good to know the exact GPS format type that can be input into Kurviger search.

Thanks

Edit:

It looks like you have to convert GPS coordinates into "what3words" format according to this website:

https://map.what3words.com/quick.symptom.chances

2nd Edit

After looking at this further, if you put a GPS coordinate (in any format) in the Kuriger search tool it will not locate that position on the map. I think this would be a good feature to have.
    kurviger likes this.
  4. TTJosh

TTJosh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Currently using my iphone (scenic) to display Kurviger. I'd like to add a dedicated display which is easier to read than my iphone on something like a RAM mount. What are y'all running? *I am not limiting myself to ios
  5. MiniNL

MiniNL Dutchie in the US

Oddometer:
    A Kyocera Duraforce pro should work pretty well. I got one cheap from eBay.
  6. TTJosh

TTJosh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gotcha. I'm looking for something larger I can read. My iphone 6S is not cutting it 100%
  7. kurviger

kurviger Bloke from Kurviger.de

Oddometer:
    You could get a 7" Android tablet. 7" seems to be a pretty dead segment, so I guess there should be plenty of used options on eBay etc.
    9Realms likes this.
  8. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    IDRIDR and Baroquenride like this.
  9. ClearwaterBMW

ClearwaterBMW The Examiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just bought the app for my android phone
    I live on the West Coast of Florida here in the United States
    it looks like it's going to be fantastic
    happy to resurrect this thread
    sorry I didn't know about the app earlier
    thank you for creating something wonderful for us
  10. dolomoto

dolomoto Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer:
    I use a Kyocera Duraforce XD. It's the perfect size with a long lasting battery.

[​IMG]

I use Kurviger Pro regularly but wait until I'm up in the mountains to start it. Otherwise, it seems to route me on paved goat paths and alleyways using the curvy road option. For point to point nav (out of the mountains), I use OSMand or Google Maps. I admit that it could be user error on my part.

Once this covid thing blows thru, I will get more adept at using Kurviger (first trip is in 5 weeks).
    NSFW and Macho Man2 like this.
  11. TTJosh

TTJosh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @dolomoto Thanks that looks perfect. Looks like a X-Grip mount yes?
  12. dolomoto

dolomoto Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer:
    Yep, it works well. My only issue is that the Buell shakes the charging cord loose (unrelated to the X-Grip mount). I ordered a Perfect Squeeze mount with the wireless charging option but, as it turns out, the charger is not compatible with the Duraforce XD....so I just received a Duraforce Pro 2 which will go in the Perfect Squeeze mount and is compatible with the Juiced option.

The Duraforce XD will be in the FM this weekend.
  13. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Posting this here because it seems to be the most relevant thread regarding Kurviger.

I downloaded the app a month or so ago, and paid to get the Pro version (or Premium or whatever they call it). I'm using an offline Android phone, in other words, a phone I use just for motorcycle navigation. A couple of days ago I was in the mountains and I wanted to see what the app could do, so I set a nearby destination and tried to create a route there. The app gave me some sort of error that because I was offline I couldn't use the routing feature. Even though all the maps around me are downloaded and I could scroll around the map on my phone to see them, it wouldn't let me create an offline route.

Is that how this app works? Is there a way to have the app route me somewhere along curvy routes? Isn't that the point?

Jamie
    9Realms likes this.
  14. SuperChuck

SuperChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You are correct, I ran into the same issue. I believe the answer was that the app contacts an online web database in order to do its 'rereouting on the fly' option and perhaps other route-creation methods. I don't remember if you turn off that feature if its route-creation will then work offline or not. Worth a shot at least. From all the searching I've done on here and other forums no app is perfect, but everybody finds the couple that seem to meet their needs and they are most comfortable with. Hope this helps. I enjoy using Kurviger to find weird routes to places, but I'm on the east coast where we have crazy population density, and thus cell towers everywhere.
    9Realms likes this.
  15. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    I'm just getting into Kurviger Pro myself.
    Heading out today for some trial and error with it.

Edit: Not sure if anyone has started a "Kurviger" conversation/support thread here yet. I could see the potential merits of one. :bmwrider
  16. 919nick

919nick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The app now supports offline routing for basic (fastest route I think) using Brouter. Same as the Locus Maps app. It's a separate download. Still have to be online to the the curvy road routing or have the route previously saved as a *.Kurviger file.
  17. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hm. Wish I knew that before I paid for it. Makes it a bit useless to me.
  18. AlfromNH

AlfromNH Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can't believe I'm asking this, but how do I create an account on the website? I see the login option, but that doesn't offer "create account"...
  19. Omegart

Omegart Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just click login and add your email, if the email isn't found in the user database it will ask for name and password and it will create a new account.
  20. Ishai

Ishai Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi- checking out web planning, trying to create a round trip of more then 200 miles, site raises a flag telling me it cannot be longer then 186 miles. Is there a work around or is this a bug?

Thanks
    Ishai