Kurviger route planning map.

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by zzzak, Mar 28, 2017.

1. ajy1w

ajy1w Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    New to the NAV GPS apps for phone. Loaded 6 different ones on my Android phone. Rever was recommended and includes the BDR GPS files for all the BDR routes.
    Well Rever failed horribly. As did the others but Kurviger worked very well offline with the Brouter. Kurviger maintain the off-road tracks and the adjustable colors for the Tracks is a great feature. Also once you have a specific route loaded but you have to get to the start point of the route. Kurviger tap the location button and kurviger finds you and provides a route to the start of your GPS file route. Or actually the closest point of your route.
    Running Pro Kurviger and deleting the others.
    Well worth the $10
    IMG_20200719_092458.jpg
    9Realms likes this.
  2. Ishai

Ishai Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi I would like to expand on my question from a few days ago. I use a TomTom 400 on the bike and do my planning on the web. I use an i-phone , but not for navigation. Would buying Scenic PRO give me all the same features as Kurviger pro, including extending round trip planning to 600 miles? I could not find an answer to that on the FAQs page on Kurviger site.
    Thanks
    Ishai
  3. Ishai

Ishai Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nd to revive this thread...
    I plan my rides with other mapping software, export the plan as GPX file, import that file to Kurviger. Whenever I do that Kurviger misreads a lot of the waypoints and creates a lot of U-turns that I want to avoid. Any recommendation?
    Thanks
    Ishai
  4. Omegart

Omegart Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. Ishai

Ishai Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Omegart- thanks. I was not clear with my question. Kurviger allows me to convert the GPX to ITN Navcore 9.5, which allows me to export the trip as a Route to my TomTom550- I like planning my day trips of about 150 miles on tiny, twisty back roads with Rever . Exporting the plan as Tracks is easy, but running into closed roads, etc is a problem with Track, where as with Route the GPS will direct me to an alternate road. so I plan on Rever, Export GPX file to Kurviger, edit out all wrong U-turns that Kurviger puts into the trip, then export to the GPS as a Route with Navcore 9.5 ITN which is an option on Kurviger. Doing all that editing still do not eliminate a bunch of wrong U-turns directions on the GPS. So looking for a better way to do what I want without all the mistakes in the "translations".
    Thanks
    Ishai
  6. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    The obvious, though perhaps not preferred, answer is to use 1 application for planning and not 3. The issue you're seeing is that each application has it's own mapset and routing algorithm. That is the reason why you're seeing "wrong U-turns".

Try planning (only) in Rever, export to GPX and use https://www.gpsvisualizer.com/ (or the like) to convert it to ITN.

Also, probably not what you want to hear, but the TomTom isn't giving you the best experience. Garmin is not without it's faults, however it'd give you a most consistent experience when planning on third-party apps.
  7. Ishai

Ishai Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, I know the TomTom is not the best tool for the job, but I am very used to the OS, and there are some things it does excellently. I am trying to do something it is not designed for.
    In regards to the app you suggested, I do not see how it helps me convert GPX to Navcore 9.5 ITN, which is the format that TomTom uses for Routes. Kurviger does, hence why I am trying to use it to convert my GPX trip I put together on Rever- which suits my purposes real well. Trying to find an app that will do a better job at converting.
  8. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I must not have found all the tips tricks and filters to use Kurviger effectively. For a test I'll use it to plan a route in an area I'm familiar with. After planning I'll look at it and always say......why would it go that way ?
    What am I missing ?
  9. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Kurviger is designed to take motorcycle-friendly roads. Curves, scenery, low traffic. It won't take the fastest or most efficient route. Is that what is throwing you off?
  10. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Motorcycle friendly is what I'm looking for. I guess when you've ridden an area for decades and know the roads you become critical.
    I'll try it some more. I'm sure planning for area's I'm not familiar with would be great.
    Maybe I should spring for the Pro version.
  11. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not a Kurviger expert, but on the left side there are some route options, here:

kurviger.jpg

Clicking those boxes will change your route to make it more or less curvy.
    Sonny S. likes this.
  12. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I notice like many route planning apps it gives the option to " avoid unpaved roads."
    Being as it can determine which roads are in fact unpaved, can we somehow have it select unpaved over paved given the option ?
  13. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    It determines which roads are unpaved based on crowd-sourced map data. I wouldn't depend on this being accurate.

Also, with respect to you "knowing your roads". Don't expect a general routing algorithm operating against (again) crowd-sourced map data to be more accurate than human eyes on the scene and personal experience.
    Sonny S. likes this.