Kymco AK550 in the USA for 2021

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by klaviator, Oct 4, 2020.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It looks like Kymco will bring the AK550 to the US for 2021 with an MSRP of $8999.

Thats less than the Tmax was but I still think it will be a tough sell here.

I saw this on other forums but didn't believe it but its on Kymco's website now: https://kymcousa.com/2021-scooters/2021-ak-550/#
    Scootertime, RCmoto, kpinvt and 4 others like this.
  2. ClearwaterBMW

ClearwaterBMW The Examiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    you and i will chat A LOT about this
    first of all...
    NO Like 150i for 2021
    only the SUPER 8 in the 150cc class
    happy they priced it at 9K
    no real adjustable windscreen (just 2-position... with tools/ala the XMAX 300)
    no cruise control, etc, of the TMAX (tech max version... 15K in europe)
    they didn't even showcase the wonderful instrumentation on their USA website
    that is odd
    it's the best feature of the bike
    ... ALTHOUGH the EMBEDDED VIDEO is pretty gool
    ....... but it's from 2017... their advertising video from 4 model years ago .......
    just those 2 boring silver/gray options in the US
    please give the buyers in the US MORE credit
    WE LIKE COLORS
    but.....
    twice the HP of the XMAX
    only 100 pounds heavier (the 462 dry weight is odd... the scoot is well-known to be 500#)
    < 60% more money than the XMAX
    it sells for 11K in europe
    i'm glad it's coming to the US.... but, sad Kymco never fixed the adjustable windscreen issue
    that would be worth more money to most
    but...
    the NO Like 150i
    that seems okk
    because THAT is the model which kept Kymco financially solvent... at least in the US
    so much to talk about
    so happy you brought this here to the forum
    thank you
  3. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    I doubt that the AK550 will sell like hot cakes, but I think it will be popular in the maxi scoot crowd.

I would much rather have it than any other American available maxi scooter out there.

But I have no need for anything bigger or faster than my Xmax.

Bill
    DandyDoug, Wdoney and ClearwaterBMW like this.
  4. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    we surely agree on this
    some of the tech is nice on the Kymco
    not as nice as the 15K TMAX 560 (TECH edition)
    but for 9K... not too bad
    happy Kymco will continue in the US market but shocked the Like 150i is gone
    maybe the Super 8 sold better here... but, that seems unlikely to me
  5. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kymco make the engines for he BMW C400 & C650 scooters.
    ClearwaterBMW likes this.
  6. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    They USED to, but i'm pretty sure they ended that relationship for the 2019 model year
    and... that's when BMW began to have all of their quality-control issues with the C400x
    and the C650 is no longer being imported into the US (the 2020 model year will its last in the US)
  7. BigBaloo

BigBaloo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sym TL500 was cheaper when it was listed for sale in UK.
    Gone now, doubt they sold any.
  8. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I remember the 700cc maxi scooter they made a 4 or 5 years ago. Despite being a fairly good scooter they could not give them away. Even as late as last year a few dealers had them sitting around and the discounting was super tempting. I can't remember the price they finely sold for but I want to say it was under $5K. Perhaps well under!

This one will likely be no different. Kymco makes a pretty solid scooter but dealer network and flaky importer most people look elsewhere now days!
  9. minimac

minimac Long timer

Oddometer:
    That bike has been on my short list for a long time. It figures that they announce this, just as I got my Silverwing outfitted the way I want it. Still, a new machine, at that price, might be very hard to resist for me.
  10. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    Until Yamaha important the TMAX it has no tubal in the US... The price is great
  11. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    I really wish it had cruise control like the TMAX
    THAT alone would give me a reason to add it next to my XMAX
    LuvPop likes this.
  12. Blue&Yellow

Blue&Yellow but orange inside...

Oddometer:
    The AK550 is a hidden gem, more fun than the T-max imho. It's a parallel twin but the crankshaft has 270 degrees firing order rather than 180 degrees in the T-Max, gives the Kymco more the feeling of a V-twin.
  13. ScooterJon

ScooterJon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ugghhhh, color choice - gray and light gray :dirtdog:nah

I just don’t understand America’s obsession with the lack of color. Do kids play only with gray, white and silver crayons now??! Offer a plain color like silver and than a pretty color like red or blue or even a yellow. But TWO types of gray?! What a waste of color choice!
    XPADREX, TM1(SS), Steve_h1963 and 5 others like this.
  14. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    Americans are NOT increase with these FUNEREAL COLORS
    Give us color, please
    _______
    Also, Kymco MUST address the non adjustable windscreen... They need to at least adopt the Honda ADV150 style
  15. BigBaloo

Oddometer:
    Strictly speaking the Tmax isn't a twin at all, its a boxer triple.
    It has two normal combustion cylinders facing forward with the pistons at 360° to each other and a central dummy cylinder with a counterbalance piston pointing backwards at 180° to the combustion pistons.
  16. Blue&Yellow

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure having dummy cylinders makes it a triple? I think I prefer counting active cylinders, but I understand what you mean. And it is indeed pretty unique, I don't know of any other engine like it. Problem is just that considering how much thought went into the t-max engine it is pretty dull in my book. The 560 is a little better but the 500-530 feel very flat and uninspired to me. If I was in charge of the T-max development I'd throw out the wonky engine and give a 270 degree crankshaft 660cc parallel twin, 10cc more than the BMW C650 just to mess with those guys.

People want some vibrations and "character" in their two wheeled vehicles these days, the T-Max is still built on the very old thinking that all vibrations are bad and non-perfect and then the Japanese engineers went to town trying to get rid of all the vibrations and giving it a flat sound. Making it pretty dull imho. The 560 is their attempt to engineer some character back into the engine, but it's not enough really.
  17. BigBaloo

Oddometer:
    I don't. I want a complete absence of any vibration whatsoever and a buttery smooth linear power delivery.
  18. rv-rick

rv-rick Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I wanted all that vibration I'd buy a Harley. :lol3
  19. Blue&Yellow

Oddometer:
    Then the T-max 560 is probably for you and the AK550 is for me. And I'm not saying the AK550 is vibey but it's definitely more vibey and with more "character" than the T-max.

On another note both Triumph and BMW have quite recently updated their engines with an offset crankshaft, so I don't think my observation about the general market direction is off. Granted, Gold Wing and K1600GT buyers probably still want buttery smooth?
  20. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    Your point is correct
    there isn't a person on the face of the Earth who spent money on a Harley-Davidson who went on a 5000 mi trip it didn't want less vibration when he or she got home.
    Vibration isn't character it's what causes premature arthritis of the hands when one spends thousands of miles a year on the road.
    Would always amaze me about the Yamahas how much less horsepower it has than the Kymco with a larger motor and even has less torque. I need cruise control and an electronically adjustable windshield to make it worthwhile for me or at least a windshield that doesn't just without tools and that's something the AK550 will never have
    but the Yamaha with those features which is called the tech model cost $15,000 in Europe and the funny thing is they sell every single one they make and there was a waiting list for months long
    Both of those vehicles have infinitely less storage capability than the XMAX and less fuel range
    the both of them can cruise at 75 or 80 mph on the highway all day long without breaking a sweat and while the XMAX can do that it isn't good for it
    TM1(SS) likes this.