Kymco AK550 in the USA for 2021

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by klaviator, Oct 4, 2020.

1. NomadCF

NomadCF Adventurer

Oddometer:
    new - 20210923_161840.jpg dual windshield - 20210923_162017_2-01_2.jpeg I installed my new windshield today (Givi D6110ST). Holly hell is this thing big, But sizing it wouldn't do due it any justice. The stock windshield is "longer" at the bottom where as the Givi is way shorter at the bottom but taller (on top). The only really good way *I* could think to measure it and have it translate across the web. Was to pick a "fixed point that was the same on both and then measure straight up to the top. So i used the top right mounting bolt on the right side as by starting point and well measured up. The stock windshield measures 13.75" (inches) from the top to the bolt where as the Givi measures 18" (inches) to the bolt. Which makes it 4.25" (inches) taller at the TOP. I didn't even measure the width difference, because it's like night and day. The stock windshield with the exception of the bottom portion if lined up mounting bolts holes to mounting bolt holes fits completely "inside" the Givi.

If the garage wasn't such a mess (disaster), I would have posted some pictures to night. I'll try to take some new ones after work tomarrow.

Mounting notes.
    • Mine did not come with the rubber gourmets or inner copper jackets used to hold and stop you from crushing the windshield. So I had to use the ones from the original windshield.
    • Not all the copper jackets and rubber gourmets are the same size !!!!! So you'll need to match up the correct size for the correct hole.
    • *I* found it easiest to put in the upper right and then lower left bolts. then the others and finally star "tighten" them.
      • Having two people there would have made taking it off and putting it on a SLIGHT bit easier. But honestly it's a one person job.
    Side note
    • I ordered a 17-19 windshield from ebay and it fit (i know it's been proven X hundred times that the 17-now are all identical. But figured I'd mention it).
    • I over corrected the HDR in order to better highlight the two windshields.
    • The lower flares "by" the hand guards actually do direct the wind away from your hands. It's only about 52F and my hands felt fine. If anything there's a "weird" backdraft or low pressure shot just under the hand grips now. Which is way better then directly at my hands.
    • Even at 90mph my hat (baseball cap style) never moved.
    • The flares on the sides "by" the hand grips. Do obscure the mirrors. And while shield is clear. I'm not too fond of that. So now I'm on the hunt for new mirrors :)
  2. old1959

old1959 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My AK is now home. I'm calling this one a "scooter with an attitude". Bought used with 380 miles and now have a little over 400 miles; at first I didn't think anything about the color but will say it has grown on me. Thank all of you for providing insights on considering an AK.

tempImageMaW9ld.png
    LuvPop, NomadCF, Clampett and 4 others like this.
  3. NomadCF

NomadCF Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Today I got in my new floor/feet replacement rests. While I like the way they look.. I hate how they function. These came with rubber grommets with bolts embedded in them. You "shove" the flexible end without the bolt into the "holding" holes the original foot rest attached to. This leaves a sizable gap between the footrest and the "bottom" (visible in the photos). You can offset this gap by going though the trouble of removing the under foot rest plastics and then pushing the flexible end of rubber grommet UP through the floor. The provided bolts are long enough still reach the bolt end of the grommets. While this reduces the gap between the footrest and the "floor" it doesn't fully remove it and creates a new problem. Which is that now your putting all the "weight" from the footrests on these rubber grommets "rim". This resulted in me destroying two of the grommets.

I though about "filling" gap with a thin rubber piece or something. But I didn't have anything and since I need to be able to easily remove them I couldn't just "seal" the gap. Again they looked great and weren't anywhere as slippery as I thought they could be.

org and new - 20210923_204317.jpg new - 20210923_204338.jpg Gap - 20210923_204330.jpg
    ZigzagguzzI and Salth2ofish like this.
  4. old1959

old1959 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FYI. For folks looking for a new AK, Jason, the owner of the motorcycle shop in San Antonio, told me yesterday that the AK he has been expecting for almost two weeks is lost in shipping with the trucking company. However, the kymco rep told him that two more were available at the kymco warehouse and he would ship him one. Jason told the rep since one is already sold to go ahead and ship him both. If all goes well, he should be getting three AK’s soon with one already sold.
  5. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    'looks like the blue and black '22's are drifting into dealers now, 'nice. Still no where near to me but I like either a whole lot more than the grey's of '21.
    8F86F78D-7821-4945-BEFB-7D43A0B56C15.jpeg
    473B9E67-16F5-4E5D-BB46-5486D120FBEF.jpeg
  6. JerryH

JerryH Proudly Powered By Internal Combustion Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have fairly severe arthritis, and I bought a Harley Davidson BECAUSE of the vibration and the sound. About 200ish miles is the most I have ridden it at once, but I had no issues and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. More so than ANY other bike I have ever owned. I find the "Harley shake" to be very relaxing. Why do you think they make vibrating beds and chairs? Because they are uncomfortable? Now the high frequency buzz of an inline four is a whole nother matter. It will put your hands, feet and butt to sleep real quick. Downright dangerous. I have been unable to quickly apply the brakes or even quickly release the throttle on inline fours because I lost all feeling in my hands and feet. I no longer own an inline four. Short stroke engines also buzz a lot worse than long stroke engines, and Harleys have a very long stroke engine.

But back to the AK550. I hadn't noticed the motorcycle type swingarm and belt drive before. That, and it's sky high price made me think it might actually have a DCT instead of a CVT. A quick check of Kymcos home page quickly dashed that hope however. CVTs are the biggest problem of modern scooters. Chain drives, shaft drives, and motorcycle belt drives are all much longer lasting and more reliable. Shaft drives never wear out, they will outlast the engine. Harley belt drives can use the same belt for over 50K miles. Modern O and X ring chains last a lot longer than any belt. And both manual and DCT transmissions have much wider gear ratios than a rubber belt CVT.
    ZigzagguzzI and Hillary like this.
  7. old1959

old1959 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Question about the Noodoe system. I downloaded the app on my iPhone and tried to pair the phone with the scooter by following the app instructions; turn on, assume this means electronics, and within 30 seconds pushed the right yellow button for at least three seconds. No luck. I tried by starting the engine but no luck pairing. I noticed the owners manual has a different process on pairing. What works or what am I missing? Thanks in advance.
  8. Blue&Yellow

Blue&Yellow but orange inside...

Oddometer:
    Bluetooth pairings can sometimes be tricky in general. I sometimes have to turn bluetooth on and off several times and make sure my iPhone is "discoverable" for it to work.

You can try following a youtube video as well:

It's not for the AK550 but I suspect it's close enough.
  9. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I must be relentlessly old school. Half the reason I ride is to get away from things like people being able to reach me 24/7 by phone. The ability to get text messages or calls while I'm riding is not something I aspire to, the damn watch is bad enough. Of course you can always just turn it off. I just which those development dollars would have been used on something useful, like cruise.
    LuvPop, CMS, Wodger63 and 1 other person like this.
  10. rjs987

rjs987 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love that Matte Deep Blue one. Saw that in the listing on CycleTrader.com in San Diego. That's farther than I want to ship or fly-n-ride... especially this time of year when the weather between here and there can be iffy sometimes.
    I wonder if I can convince the dealer close to me (2 hours away) to get a Matte Deep Blue 2022 model in if I guarantee that I will buy it... as long as they price it same as the original MSRP of the 2021 models? Or maybe even the dealer in Arlington, IL who already has a 2022 Matte Silver Crystal in stock and listed for the higher 2021 price ($9399 with 1 mile on the odo)?
  11. Blue&Yellow

Oddometer:
    It's simple, call the dealer and say you want to buy a 2022 blue AK550, then you wire him a deposit, after that I haven't heard of a single dealer who's said no to selling a bike :lol3

As for the price being the same as 2021? Might be but I wouldn't count on it. Covid this and supply issues that.

Another option is to ask if they can ship it to you, I've done on several occasions and it's worked out for me. I don't haggle on the price if they include the shipping.
  12. rjs987

rjs987 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are already dealers advertising on CycleTrader.com their 2022 models for the current 2021 model MSRP. And one dealer is advertising new 2022 models for $7999 until end of Sept and then it says the price will be "back" to $8999! That dealer is in VA. So actually I can almost count on it IF I'm willing to accept that those dealers will likely charge excessive fees and markups to make the price same as everywhere else.

I did visit Wheeler Powersports in Fort Smith, AR during my trip the last 5 days and test rode a 2021 model there. They showed a price on CycleTrader.com of $9799. I questioned them on that since it is higher than other places and they stated that price does include Freight, shipping, destination, setup and prep. Most of those are of course just dealer markup since freight/shipping/destination are really all the same charge and *should* be part of the brand MSRP as cost of goods sold. The only charge they said they would add is a documentation fee of $129. If my Burgman were already sold I would have been ready right then to start talking real OTD pricing and try to get them to at the very least waive that documentation fee if not reduce some of the other fees/charges. Done it before with new bikes so no reason that cannot be done, even a little, now even in this Covid impacted economy we have to put up with. The idea here is I convince them I really want it and am ready to plunk down the cash, a sure sale. Then I make it very clear that if they don't give a little to make the OTD cost a little easier for me I walk out the door. Dealers always seem to be willing to give a little just to avoid loosing a sure sale. I've been on the other side of that transaction before. A sure sale is WAY better than waiting for someone else to come along.
  13. old1959

old1959 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Blue&yellow, thank you for the video and suggestion. I’ll give the pairing another try.

Rider33, I agree on the joys of going for a ride without phone calls or messages but the Noodoe system has a navigation function which is what want to use.
  14. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    that I get, 'safe travels.
  15. old1959

old1959 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some of you may have noticed the first mod, or addition I made, was a bead rider on the seat. Texas is hot so I put a bead rider on everything I ride to prevent the sticky butt situation.:dunno

A couple of days ago I ordered a comfort item for a second mode. Grip puppies:-). A personal item for hands that have issues.
    4EAC8E57-CDCC-4D1D-B89D-46C1D79C18BA.jpeg

And, of course, had to go for a little spin to try them out. :ricky
    709B7D3D-4131-4885-8F3E-933D32556FA1.jpeg
    Pure joy.

The next items will be installing a pig tail for a battery tender and, occasionally, a heated jacket liner. Also, a way to mount a Garmin GPS. And as always, love to hear suggestions.
    rider33 and DandyDoug like this.
  16. old1959

old1959 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh, almost forgot, at 158.4 miles I bought gas; last fuel bar, the red one, had been flashing for approximately 10 miles. Two observations. Fuel gauge is pessimistic and the mpg, 53.5, isn’t great:hmmmmm
    D15B6F31-6012-4B78-BC1E-12CFAD1B07D3.jpeg
  17. Blue&Yellow

Oddometer:
    @old1959 I've been riding my AK550 for while now (whole summer and autumn) and I'd say those numbers, 150 miles between fill-ups and 50-something mpg's, are pretty typical. I think the range is pretty good overall, could always be better but it's not bad, better than a lot of bigger motorbikes. Consumption is ok, just. Overall it's not the most economical scooter but then it is fun, fast, comfortable and it does have 53 bhp! Give and take.

Personally I don't even look at the fuel gauge anymore, I just fill her up around 150-160-ish miles.
  18. rjs987

rjs987 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will agree that 53 mpg isn't great, but it isn't bad either. I normally get over 58 mpg on my Burgman 650 but that is about 5-8 mpg higher than others I've read were getting on the same bike. It has a lot to do with air temp and that right hand action as well as the roads, head wind or not, hills, and many other factors. Looks like you almost had a gallon left to burn when you filled up since the tank should be about 3.96 gallons (15 Liters)... same as I have on my Burgman. I also usually use the Trip A meter to measure miles on a tank and fill up at somewhere between 160-180 miles. You would certainly do better with a 400cc or smaller scooter, but that's not what this one is. More motorcycle than scooter really.

I have my Burgman up for sale on eBay now as well as CycleTrader.com (we'll see where it sells first). WHEN I buy my AK 550 I was thinking of getting the phone mount bracket from AliExpress that fits behind/under the windshield to put my phone top center at the top of the dash. That bracket would also be for a GPS unit instead if that is used. I have no need for both a phone and GPS to be mounted. If I were to go back to using a dedicated GPS unit I would put my phone in my pocket or in the left glove box to be charged. I currently use my phone only to navigate while I'm riding. That's where I have it now on my Burgman using a RAM ball mount. I've become used to the thinner grips on my Burgman, which are the same as on the AK. I used to put Grip Puppies on all my bikes except for my CTX and now Burgman so it seems my hands have adjusted to be OK with those grips. I do use a Cramp Buster on all my bikes that greatly improves control and stamina for my right hand. I no longer have to grip very tightly on the throttle and can control it by using my entire forearm rather than just my wrist. Saves my wrist from strain and allows me much greater fine control of the throttle. When I did use Grip Puppies I also had a Cramp Buster mounted on top of those and it worked great.

Another mod that I would intend to install is that battery tender pigtail as you mentioned. That pigtail ends in a SAE connector and I have a 12vdc socket with a SAE connector on the end for times when I need a socket like that (Slime air compressor or any other item that needs a 12vdc socket to plug into). That gives me options. I was thinking a weatherproof block to mount on the handlebar or on a panel someplace that includes a 12vdc socket and USB connection to plug into that pigtail from the battery. Amazon has those for a real reasonable price.
  19. old1959

old1959 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    B&Y and rjs987, good comments. I'm not complaining about the mileage; Xmax spoiled me with amazing numbers. I still had approximately a gallon so if in a pinch 200 miles "may" be doable, maybe:eekers.

I just ordered a bracket for under the windshield on Ebay. Approximately $50 so I'll post on how it works out. Thank you both.
    rjs987 likes this.
  20. minimac

minimac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gas mileage should improve as you get more miles on it, although that isn't bad-especially considering the fact that the engine is almost twice the displacement. On one of my bikes, I mounted a ram ball (used with the double socket arm thingy they make) on the rear bike master cylinder cover to mount my GPS or my cup holder, depending on need.
    https://mounts.factoryoutletstore.c....html?category_id=107909&catalogitemid=120117
    old1959 likes this.