Kymco AK550 in the USA for 2021

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by klaviator, Oct 4, 2020.

1. NomadCF

NomadCF Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The under the windshield holder is great, but needs some tweaking. The small "arm" that "hook" to the cowl of gauge cluster needs adjusting. It's extremely loose. I installed black tape and rubber foot there the small arm makes connect with the cowl.

I also had to widen the "camera". But that became unnecessary as soon as I got the GIVI windshield. Since that windshield is blacked out at the bottom. It makes the rear camera useless as it can't see through it.

Finally is the wireless charger for that mount. It's a slow charger, I replaced the board and wireless pad with one from one of my fast chargers.

After those modes to it, it's a great mount. I mean don't give me wrong It was nice when I first got as well. But these tweaks made it so much better.
    old1959 likes this.
  2. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hope you didn't pay more than $2 a pair as you can find on Aliexpress, same quality, same fitment and most probably the same product. I have these and are still like new after 4 years use on my Yamaha Xmax 300. I bought a pack of 5 pairs for $10 last year, top quality.
  3. old1959

old1959 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmmm. Now you tell me. Thanks for the info though.
  4. Scootertime

Scootertime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love the puppy grips, in fact I had them on all of my bikes. I installed them on my AK550 few days after I got the scoot... I would also recommend the Air Hawk air seat for max comfort.

IMG_1467.JPG

IMG_1581.JPG
    rider33 and old1959 like this.
  5. rjs987

rjs987 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Curious to know from current owners...
    What RPM does the engine run at while riding at freeway speeds?

Every bike is different. My CTX ran about 3262 RPM at 60 mph, 3525 at 65 mph, and 4050 RPM at 75 mph. My Burgman kicks up to around 3700 RPM at 55 due to the CVT but is only around 3800-3950 RPM for about 60-65 mph and only sees near 4200 RPM over 70 mph once it settles down from accelerating up to that. I do know that at city speeds, 35-45 mph, the AK engine runs at higher RPM than my Burgman so curious where it sits at 65-75 mph.
  6. durdle

durdle MAXI-MAN

Oddometer:
    My numbers are approximate. I seems to me this is a fairly high revving engine - more so than my BV 500. I've noticed that RPM's run about 4000 up to 35 - 40 MPH. After that they increase to about 4500 up to 50 - 55 MPH. I usually go 70 to 75 MPH on interstate and state roads. RPM's there run about 5500.
    ZigzagguzzI and rjs987 like this.
  7. rjs987

rjs987 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Curious to know from current owners...
    I've watch several un-crating videos and all of them show opening the seat to take several items out including the battery which is not installed in the AK from the factory.
    HOW do they get the seat open without the battery being connected?
    I'm sure the seat is latched closed in the crate. Or is it?
    CAN the seat be opened without turning the scooter on or having the battery connected?
    I know the control knob freely spins when the scooter is off so that won't unlatch the seat.
  8. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm sure the seat can be opened without any battery connection. The Xmax allows this clearly if there is a problem with the battery and it also has a keyless system.
    rjs987 likes this.
  9. rjs987

rjs987 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just read something on another forum in the UK where I am not a member about that AK 550 fob.
    Would like a current owner to verify this as well...
    There was mention about that button on the remote fob being an on/off switch for the fob. Tapping the button only flashes the LED to show status. But holding that button for a time is what changes the state to either on or off. I had previously read that this button was only to verify battery status but I may be wrong about that.
    Can someone please confirm this?
    Does holding the button for some seconds cause that LED light to change color or flash a certain way to indicate possibly on/off?

That would be great if that button on the fob were to turn it on/off.
  10. NomadCF

NomadCF Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just tried pushing and hold the fob button for 2 minutes timed. And nothing changed about it. LED didn't change colors, flash or even stay on solid during the time.
    rjs987 likes this.
  11. NomadCF

NomadCF Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Why one yet look into dark siding there AK yet. I'm only at 1200 miles but I'm already eyeing a few options. I really this time I'd stick to a MT. . But I'm not seeing that be the case :)
  12. NomadCF

NomadCF Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I cleaned up the rear end some, I lost the stock license plate holder, light and rain/mud/rock "shield". It was a PITA but worth it I think. AK 550 - Before Plate.png AK 550 - After Plate.png
    rider33 and marret like this.
  13. rjs987

rjs987 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your's is the second AK 550 that I've noticed the final drive belt is just a bit off to the left side of the final drive sprocket. Hard to tell if it is too close to the left. Per the service manual there should be a space of more than 1 mm on each side of the belt to the sides. I guess looking very closely at that second photo with the mud guard removed I do see that space but it's close. The first photo has too much shadow to tell. :-)

The first one I notice this on was the one I did the test ride on at Wheeler Powersports. Was maybe 2-3 mm space on the left edge and double that on the right, much like yours. Just find it interesting how it stays away from drifting side to side. But then, never had a belt driven bike before so really just learning here.
    NomadCF likes this.
  14. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    'Looks good, I did a very similar thing on my V7 actually. I think the extra long plate bracket has a lot more to do with the shape of some plates abroad than it does with any meaningful spray catching ability. Functionally, I've never noticed a difference.
    Appearances tho are much improved.
  15. old1959

old1959 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Regarding belt placement, manual states where belt should ride and how to adjust for clearance; don’t want belt riding against edge.
    rjs987 likes this.
  16. NomadCF

NomadCF Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finally found time to work on the bike again. I mounted the luggage rack and wired up the extra brake and turn signals (no pictures yet of this). Tapping into the existing wiring block in the rear of the bike wasn't hard. You'll need to remove the bucket (careful to disconnect the LED bucket light AS your removing it). Then if your on the side stand side look towards the back on the bucket mount along the side and you'll see a green connection block. The block has 6 connection points of which only 5 are used. If you look at the block and have the EMPTY slot on the left side then. The Top left is a blinker, the top right is the brake and the bottom left is your other blinker.

-------------------
    | Blinker | Brake |
    | Empty | ? |
    | Blinker | ? |
    -------------------

20211012_165907.jpg 20211012_165851.jpg 20211012_165835.jpg 20211012_165907.jpg 20211012_165851.jpg 20211012_165835.jpg
    old1959, Nono13 and Clampett like this.
  17. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Is that the rack from TBS?
  18. rjs987

rjs987 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was wondering how that rear rack would look on the tail of a Silver AK since it only comes in Black. Pricey little bit of kit that thing is but the only one that looks good on the AK 550, like it belongs, IMO. That would be the only part to prevent me from getting one right away. Saw one on eBay for $388.71 (OK, so I'm cheap). Did your's come with the Matt Silver Crystal tail panel with the slot already cut out or did you cut the slot yourself?

And does that warning stamped in the center of the plate say max load 8kg or 5kg? That means about 30 lbs either way... Right? :-)

Having done electrical work on several bikes including installing isolated fuse blocks and power circuits for farkles, and trailer harnesses, I can say that those "?" pins you have indicated in your plug diagram should be running light and ground. Typical 5 wire tail light system. Per the electrical diagram I downloaded for the AK 550:

Blue wire = Right turn signal
    Orange wire = Left turn signal
    Green/Yellow wire = Brake light
    Black/Green wire = Running light
    Green wire = Ground
  19. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
  20. rjs987

rjs987 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very interesting. Was wondering about some of those things addressed in his videos.

VERY interesting about the proper secure way to turn off the bike. So going right to turn off the engine does not turn off the bike even though the lights may be off. Going left to turn it off is the only way to really turn it off securely.
    I did already know about starting the bike with a dead or missing battery in the fob. There is a circle emblem etched in the cover over the right glove box to identify where to place the dead fob so the bike will "see" it.
    Also, I was wondering about if there was a mechanical seat release. But doesn't the bike have to be on in order to get to the handlebar lock and also the mechanical release? Doesn't the control knob just freely spin if it is truly off?

Answers some questions but also raises a few more.