Kymco AK550 in the USA for 2021

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by klaviator, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Tnbrit

Tnbrit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went into my very small local Kymco shop, he does mostly servicing & keeps just a couple of bikes in the tiny showroom & was very surprised to see an AK550 all plated up for demo use :hmmmmm.
    I had a test sit on it(on the centre stand) felt nice, I also sat on the other bike in the showroom a 2004 Silverwing 600(which he uses for "nipping" about on) & for my short arse stature(5'10") it felt way more comfortable & also felt amazingly light off the side stand, compared to my Sportster 883, which apparently is not that much heavier :hmmmmm.
  2. NomadCF

NomadCF Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just got done installing a set of 15g sliders and taking it for a test ride. First impressions are less then overwhelming. The bike clearly holds at a higher rpm at all times. Which does "help" by keeping the rpms higher by about a 1000. But I'm not sure I like the "feeling" of the higher rpms all the time. Again tonight was just a quick test ride and recheck. So time will tell after I get a good ride in.

Oh and that video showing how to change out the variator and such sucks. They left out ever gotcha there is to swapping out the rollers. I didn't make a video about it. But when I do another year down to check on the sliders I will.

Quick tips when doing this.
    * You need the following sockets 10,11,12 and a 23
    * You need 1x hex wrench
    * And one star type hex wrench.
    * If a piece doesn't "easily" pull off then there's one of those push/pull tabs around that area.
    * Have a new gasket ready for around the metal housing. I got my off almost completely in tact but it's a PITA.
    * There is a shit ton of bolts and screws and plastic push/pulls, but relatively few pieces actually come off.
    * Youll need four separate containers for your small parts. Use one container per "level" of parts taken off.
    * You do need to take off the passenger footrest.
    * Right around the past your foot rest above it. There's a small metal clamp that holds a two wires up off the drive housing. Don't forget to put that back on. While you're working it will slide "down" the wires. And you really don't want to rip everything back off again just to put a back on
    * You need to work the belt and the variator to get it seated just right
    * The torc specs for the variator is pretty broad. I get mine to ~88 NM or 65lbs. One foot-pound (ft/lb) is equal to 1.356 newton-meters (Nm).
    Scootertime, rjs987 and Clampett like this.
  3. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    When I watched that video you refer to, I felt something was missing also. He would start to remove a piece and then there would be a skip editing out some of the details.
    If/when you do that video, I'm sure everyone that has the AK will be very grateful. Thanks for this post with the details.
  4. old1959

old1959 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    NomadCF, thank you for sharing. But can you please indicate what outcome, or deficiency, you are hoping to achieve or eliminate with this mod? I’m fairly new to the scooter world and only have approximately 600 miles on mine which is why I ask.
  5. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    If you haven't already, go back to page 28 (starting at post 556) and that should clear it up.
    For more info on these mods, you can do a search on 'rollers' in the scooter forum and get a real edumacation on the scooter drive system.
    rjs987 likes this.
  6. old1959

old1959 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Clampett. I was out riding today and paid more attention to rpm while riding and noticed revs never really go over 5,500rpm so maybe we are leaving some power on the table...

This thread needs more pictures.
    CDB38569-43DC-41B3-9DFF-D73459D2DE2A.jpeg

C2D748FC-8FDE-496A-90E8-5C78C64ECDF0.jpeg
    87112 and Clampett like this.
  7. rjs987

rjs987 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now, does it just not get to 5500 RPM while going a constant speed? Or is it that while really twisting the throttle to accelerate as fast as possible that it doesn't get there?
    There IS a difference. I rather doubt it would need to stay at that high RPM while going a constant speed unless you are attempting over 85-100++ constant mph. But then, all I know is my Burgman which is significantly lower RPM while holding the same constant speed compared to the AK. And that is based just on my short time on a test ride. I can get my Burgman to "see" 5000 + change RPM while accelerating hard for super slab highway speeds but then once there, at around 65-75 mph, it settles down to hold that speed at a little over 4500 RPM. If it were a fixed gear bike I would see a fixed RPM for any given speed that will not change unless I change speed or gear... regardless if I am accelerating hard or just cruising along
  8. old1959

old1959 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rjs987, I can’t really provide an answer on the amount of revs. For one, I haven’t held it wide opened. Also, I was riding back roads today and due to recent rains the roads had a fair amount of debris so couldn’t dedicate myself to watch the tachometer; I just noticed on the occasional glance that the revs appeared to be in the 5,000 range.

In other news, I performed my first high speed pass (approximately 65 to 80mph) today and found the performance to be very acceptable. :D
    rjs987 likes this.
  9. NomadCF

NomadCF Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I want to say my with stocker rollers stayed at about 5xxx at just any coasting speed (30-75?).
    rjs987 likes this.
  10. NomadCF

NomadCF Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I forgot to post a video of the variator running smoothly after slider install.

Clampett and rjs987 like this.
  11. old1959

old1959 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A former neighbor and his riding buddies visit where I now live so did a little riding with them today. The AK can more than hold its own with the big bikes and certainly run away from them in the curves.
    tempImagepeIODs.png

One thing I did noticed, when I stopped folks just wanted to look at the scoot.
    tempImageVDqlaK.png

One couple sitting on a bunch didn't say anything but I could tell they were admiring my scoot.
    tempImageITAOEO.png

Overall, I found the AK to be a competent and comfortable ride. However, I do have two nits. First, I still can't get my phone to sync but will try again. Second, the fuel gauge is very pessimistic. I filled it almost to the brim, red bar started flashing at 127.4 miles, and yet I rode to 165.5 miles and filled to the brim at 3.088 gallons; 53.6 mpg. I don't know how much fuel is usable, tank is 3.9 gallons I believe, but looks like one could ride around 200 miles. Of course, very "nervous" miles:dunno
    tempImagemmAV1b.png
    Clampett, rdhood, ScooterJon and 4 others like this.
  12. rjs987

rjs987 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I regularly do more than keep up in all kinds of riding with Gold Wings, Harleys, and even Vstrom and Versys bikes as well as ST1300. Well, I don't run away from the ST1300 bikes since those really shine in twisties and have a much higher top speed those riders are eager to show.

I think it was mentioned before, or maybe I said it in another forum... The gas gauge is only good as an indicator showing if it's running consistently or not. If it is, I use my Trip A meter for how far I've gone since the last fill up. Yours sounds about right.
    The Burgman 650 has the same sized tank as the AK, 3.9 gallons. I've gone as far as to put in 3.598 gallons just recently, going 209 miles on that tank and calculating out to 56.7 mpg. One time I went farther than that and ended up putting 3.8 gallons in. I don't like running the tank down that low but was glad I made it to the gas pump when I did. I think you do have 3.9 gal usable fuel but that runs it way down and risks damage to the pump, especially if you pass that mark.

BTW- Yes fuel cools a fuel pump. But most of the cooling comes from fuel flowing through the pump. When fuel is too low in the tank the fuel pump may become starved or debris that may be in the tank can more easily clog the screen causing an issue. This is how a fuel pump can overheat. The best way to prevent any of this is to keep a measure of fuel in the tank at all times. I usually try to fill the tank in my Burgman when there is only 3 gallons or less needed for a full tank. I don't mind needing just a few tenths more, like 3.2 gallons, but below that gets a bit concerning. The bike and fuel pump will run fine with less fuel. A half gallon in the tank for my Burgman would be the lowest for no worry but best to keep it above that.
    old1959 likes this.
  13. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Just got home with a new 2022 Deep Blue. (Photos coming later when it's daylight).
    A little tall for a scooter. Narrow like most new scooters. Dang thang kept creeping up to 80mph.
    I hardly ever get over 60, even on road trips. Controls simple. Noodoe looks like I gotta learn a few things.
    Anyone change grips? I've never had heated grips before, living in Alabama. I ordered some grip puppies, but if other grips would work then I'd prefer them.
    Ordered a luggage rack. Ordered extra oil filter. Parts folks had already left, so I gotta talk to them next week.
    Max Motorsports in Pelham $10800 with the aforementioned extras. Got in good mood with them immediately AFTER mentioning @klaviator .
    I didn't even get his name out. I said a fellow scootist from Huntsville......he cut me off and said Wynn? hahahahaha
    Lights work well at night.
    When I walked out to the service entrance to pick it up, there was already a crowd. Sounds great. Looks great. Great color.
    Then Matt, the service guy warns me that the Fob only works a couple feet. I looked at him. He says 'What?' I said more like 25 feet (thanks @rjs987 ).
    I cut the bike off, walked off with the fob. I said try it. He said it won't work. Then it beeped and lit up. Hmmmmm.
    Anyhoo, happy camper and just had to crow a bit.....
    LuvPop, rdhood, NomadCF and 3 others like this.
  14. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Hey @Clampett, I'll be down in Leeds tomorrow for a Gymkhana. Why don't you ride over and show off your new scooter and maybe kill a few cones while you are there. Info for the event is here: https://www.motorcyclealabama.com/rides/index.php?topic=4336.0
    Clampett likes this.
  15. rjs987

rjs987 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Clampett , Now I'm really jealous!
    I wanted that Deep Blue one. Max Motorsports web site still shows one blue one in stock... or did they just not have time yet to remove it?
    $10800 including luggage rack? That's actually a good price. I received a OTD quote for a silver 2022 at a dealer near Chicago (one of the nearest to me which actually has any) and they quoted me $10807 just for the AK with no extras! Yet their advertised price was $9399 so they tack on a lot of upcharge! That place is likely off the list. I contacted another dealer just outside of St Louis which has a few 2021 models and possibly a 2022. None so far have colors other than gray or silver. There are a few other dealers that carry Kymco but only have a few smaller scooters in their stock. Maybe I can convince one of those to order in a Blue 2022 AK.

Which luggage rack did you get? The Kymco designed one that matches the OEM passenger handles? Or one of the others?

Don't ya just love it when you can tell a sales guy something they don't know?

Still have my Burgman on eBay. It's a fixed price with best offer option turned on. Also have it on FB Marketplace thanks to my wife giving in to my asking her to put it there. I don't do FB but she does. I have had one offer from the FB listing but only for UNDER the trade-in value... nope. Had another person on FB today ask if I could just hold it for 30 days... not without a deposit thank you, and even then if we had an agreement about the price. It's not a $10 trinket that I have a dozen of that I can just put his name on one and wait 30 days to see if he really wants it or not.
    The Cycle Trader listing expires in about 2 days.
  16. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    @rjs987
    I left 30 minutes after closing, the one on their website is the one I purchased. (it still showed on Cycle Trader too.)
    Don't know about the rack. I requested a luggage rack to work with my Givi and he said ok. Parts counter already closed and went home, so no details.
    They owe me some Grip Puppies too.
    old1959 and rjs987 like this.
  17. rjs987

rjs987 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Then it is likely the Givi top case mounting. The Givi SR6110. Hopefully they will include the base plate that mounts to it that your top case will mount on the bike. That's usually a separate part.
  18. NomadCF

NomadCF Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congratulations and welcome to the club!
    old1959 and Clampett like this.
  19. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Q: Octane usage is what?
    2022 Manual says 95. I know that isn't correct for USA. So is it 87, 89, or 91?

@rjs987 I'll see which rack it is next week. I told him I wanted just the rack. I have 3 base plates from previous installs. The one with the bars is prolly better since I haven't seen any color matched for the blue yet. But, still I'm speculating.
    rjs987 likes this.
  20. minimac

minimac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds nice Larry, congrats!