Kymco AK550 in the USA for 2021

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by klaviator, Oct 4, 2020.

1. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bleh , I was hoping for some earth shattering spec's, much lighter weight . What's all this keyless crap, you still need to carry a fob . From all I have read , that's as much of a PITA as a key. And it requires another battery.
    BLEH !!
  2. minimac

minimac Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree with you there. My car has that and I hate it. I sure don't want it on my scooter/motorcycle, just an answer to a question nobody asked. Another expensive electronic gizmo to lose, or break. I can get 3 or for keys made for $5. Can't even replace the fobs battery for that!
    Bar None and DandyDoug like this.
  3. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've owned a few Kymcos. They were all pleasant surprises quality-wise.

The AK550 looks like a great maxi with 4 year old technology.
  4. BUZZARD II

BUZZARD II Old Geezer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for a maxi scooter in the spring. I would really like a new T-Max or C650 GT. If so could find a NOS Beemer that I would buy. If not, mint used. After that or while shopping I'll check out the AK550.

I wish these scoots would catch on in the USA. I'm getting to old for my Harley.
  5. BigBaloo

BigBaloo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nope, that would be the Gilera GP800
    Some might say Aprilia SRV850 but its only a Gilera in a frock.
  6. BMWBUD

BMWBUD I couldn't hack it. Back on two wheels. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Buzzard II. The Beemer has high maintenance costs. But they haven't held their values very well so you could find a deal.

Enjoy the hunt.
  7. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap E-Tarded

Oddometer:
    I don't get the purpose of a FOB. At all.
    minimac and Bar None like this.
  8. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap E-Tarded

Oddometer:
    I can't believe we haven't seen cruise control on a scooter yet. How long will it be before one of those you mentioned adds cruise to separate itself from the competition.
  9. Wdoney

Wdoney Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow! The Gilera GP800 is an impressive Italian scooter. 839cc V Twin, 75 hp, 550 lbs, 125-130 mph top speed. Not something for me but very impressive specs.
  10. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yamaha TMAX has cruise control, so does the new Honda Forza 750
    ClearwaterBMW likes this.
  11. ClearwaterBMW

ClearwaterBMW The Examiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    the Yamaha TMAX with the cruise control is the TECH version which is $15,000 or $6000 more than the AK 550
    adding cruise control with throttle by wire is cheap
    I really don't know why more people don't offer it
    interestingly enough is the new Honda rebel 1100 that has cruise control with and without the DCT for less than $10,000...
    That may not be an appealing package to a lot of people on this aspect of the forum but it is interesting that Honda is doing that and maybe it is a sign of good things to come

Cruise control is a wonderful thing to have on any motorcycle
    the most upsetting thing about the KYM is that the windscreen is only adjustable with a tool which is ridiculous
    there are many $5000 motorcycles that have an adjustable windscreen on the fly
    this is a huge oversight on the part of Kymco
    I'm not sure the price of the Forza 750 but I'm sure it will be north of $12,000
  12. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap E-Tarded

Oddometer:
    That is fantastic news. Which US dealership has those?
  13. BUZZARD II

Oddometer:
    Dranrab is right about the cruise control. If the T-Max or Forza is available here in the spring I would suck one up. I don't care really about the price. I have to sell my H-D because I'm in advanced decrepitude. But I still want to tour long range in comfort.

The big scooters offer that. The Kymco has appeal on many fronts. But the dealer near me has stopped handling them. The next closest has a dismal record of customer service. Thus I lean towards Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki or Beemer. Sadly it looks like the XMax is the biggest available scoot brand new.

I already have Can Am for two up. I want a solo ride with two wheels. Most Maxi's are owned by geezer's. Riders don't age out. Manufacturing gives up.
  14. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, we'll have to see if this becomes available and what price it will be, not doubt it will have cruise control...

https://www.visordown.com/news/new-bikes/new-images-show-how-future-honda-cb1100x-could-look

[​IMG]
    ClearwaterBMW likes this.
  15. Wdoney

Wdoney Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    unfortunately none
  16. DRO4

DRO4 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Could you please elaborate how else would a keyless system would work? What would be the authentication/pairing process with your bike?
  17. ClearwaterBMW

ClearwaterBMW The Examiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    that looks great
    I had my eye on the 2021 NC750X... But they did not give it the good dashboard screen
    and it certainly will not have cruise control even though it is throttle by wire and has the DCT
    it's $10,000 for the DCT version and I think everyone would pay a few hundred dollars more for cruise control
    why they pick and choose who gets it I have no idea
    it would cost them $0.10 to install it in the factory because of all the other pieces of that puzzle already being in place for that particular bike
    appreciate that picture
  18. BUZZARD II

Oddometer:
    Clearwater, I have a '18 NC750X DCT. The engine and transmission are wonderful. The seat once you fix the slope, really allows no moving around. Maybe if you're small enough it could be comfortable. But then the bike would be too tall. Shocks are cheap grade as well.

The scooter version looks like you could spread out and enjoy a long ride.

I'm sorry to be so down on the NC because it has so much to offer in so many ways. As a owner I think of how very good it could be with just a few changes.
  19. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 2020 Vespa GTS300 had a key fob, but you still needed an actual key to insert in the ignition switch. I had read of several people having issues with both the fob and the key. So I never left the garage without my spare key in my pocket.
    My 2010 Lexus RX350 has only a fob not key, it has locked me out of the car once, so I had to go find the other fob to get in.
    I'm not a fan of all this technology, my 2014 Mustang has a key and a fob .
  20. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    My 2004 Toyota Tacoma has a key.

It also has manual transmission, roll up windows, manual seat adjustment, locks and mirrors.

It is almost perfect.

Bill