Kymco K-Pipe

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by AMAC1680, Feb 19, 2016.

1. downtavern

downtavern Pants Flyer

Oddometer:
    I cut the mounting posts down with a standard pipe cutter but anything would do, they're "steel" but not much stronger than the pot metal variety.
    dp064 likes this.
  2. dp064

dp064 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. downtavern

downtavern Pants Flyer

Oddometer:
    Honestly, nothing, the motor is so choked up with the little carb it just can't make enough power to get past around 60mph on flat ground. Downhill I saw 70 with the original gearing but that was an outlier ( on the blueridge parkway, downhill, full tuck).

I'm definitely planning on carb and cam next, I think there's a little more to be had from this motor.
  4. dp064

dp064 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Gotcha.. I'm planning on going up a tooth on my 250 hoping to pick up 3 to 5 mph across the board but primarily concerned with middle cruise.
    I'm looking forward to updates on the engine.
    Don
  5. downtavern

downtavern Pants Flyer

Oddometer:
    I was up to something yesterday,
    IMG_20201008_173631581.jpg
    results will be discussed soon.
    ZigzagguzzI, The Virginian and dp064 like this.
  6. deep6blue

deep6blue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok. So what are you up to ?
  7. downtavern

downtavern Pants Flyer

Oddometer:
    So, my wife was out of town for a few weeks and I decided this would be the best time for me to undertake some K-pipe related projects.

This is where I left off last time...
    KbabyEmptyHead.jpg

After confirming a few measurements with another K-pipe owner, I decided to take a risk and order a cam that in theory should fit... http://dratv.com/stli15ca.html
    KbabyCams.jpg

This is a cam out of the lifan 150, It has about the same specs as one of DRATV's performance cams but also has the Decomp thingy still on it for easy kickin.

Install was extremely straight forward, the horizontal engines are some of the easiest to disassemble and modify, between beers this took under an hour.

Oh, and what led me to the cam swap was something I had done the previous week that didn't yield the performance enhancement I was looking for, I installed a knock off Mik-china carb and intake.
    KBabyCarb1.jpg

And in the process removed a lot of emissions crap that wouldn't work without the stock intake and air box.
    KBabyJunk.jpg

So here's my take on these to mods as I let my morning coffee settle in:

1. Carb and Intake. This one was a mixed bag. Upon comparing the aftermarket components to the stock choker, you would think this would unleash the Beast! The stock intake chokes down to a few millimeters smaller that the head and has a very restrictive bend right after the carb, which is also a tiny little choker of a thing. Enter the Mik-china carb, the intake ID matches the carb and the head, has a much less acute radius and the new carb has a much bigger hole in it! Sounds great! But in the end it was only part of the solution. After installing this on an other wise stock motor and getting it tuned in I only saw a very modest bump in performance in the mid range and a very annoying bump in induction noise. It seems something else was choking it up, enter the...

2. Cam. This was a gamble, there isn't much info on the K-pipe motor beyond it being some variant of a horizontal clone, which there are many. Thankfully everything fit up just fine and I now suspect this is a rebadged Lifan motor. Anyway, this is what this bike should have had from the factory. This made the carb totally worth while, the bike has more power all over the place, especially in the mid range and up top. It revs out cleanly to "redline" and idles perfectly. instead of feeling like I'm always banging around gears to wheeze out of corners, I can just roll on the throttle. The bump in mid range punch has really made this a much more pleasant bike.

Now, do I recommend these two very cheap mods? Yes, but if I did it again I'd go for a real Mikuni, the knock off has been very fiddly.

Did this unleash earth shattering performance? No, but it did make an extremely anemic bike much more rideable and a lot more fun under 45mph.

So that's my morning coffee take on messing with the K-pipe.

Wife Approved and that's all that really matters.
    WifeApproved.jpg

Attached Files:

8. deep6blue

deep6blue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That’s awesome. Thanks for the update.
    dp064 likes this.
  9. downtavern

downtavern Pants Flyer

Oddometer:
    For around $80 I think these two mods are totally worth doing (I've spent far more on far less) as long as you're ok with the induction noises.

It does sound much better after the cam, less bubble machine, more dirt bike.
    dp064 likes this.