Kymco K-Pipe

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by AMAC1680, Feb 19, 2016.

1. thederrick106

thederrick106 gone-fishin

Oddometer:
    Just a few various marketplace searches show K-pipes here and there in the 1K range used with a few miles on them. If your looking to get one as a "toy" and/ as a second bike I would defiantly look for a used one. I have no doubt they can take miles with proper maintenance... And working on these things is about as easy as it gets. Ether try to find one that has obviously been cared for, and in mint condition with a few thousand miles, or one with less than a thousand that looks like it fell over a few times, like the one I just got.

Being winter in my state helps the buyer big time... All motorcycle prices go back up at least $500 when the snow goes away.

I really think that their style, look, feel, price brings in a buyer, who quickly wants more than what it can offer. I also wouldn't spend more than "trade in" value on these as they obviously don't have much resale value because new ones are only a bit more, and those without cash in hand can just finance it from the dealer.

So far I have been very happy with all my Kymco stuff. I am quickly becoming a fan. Hopefully my older Honda ATV's will never die but if I did need another I would probably take a good hard look at the Kymco stuff, compare and contrast prices etc. Being a Honda guy it might be a tough sell but well worth the look.
  2. thederrick106

Oddometer:
    Anyone know of a tubeless dual sport tire that would fit the K-pipe? I ride a lot on pavement, and would smoke through a trials tire pretty quick if I had to guess.
  3. sjc56

sjc56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wonder how these compare with my 78 XL125?. They have around the same HP, I think the brakes would be a huge improvement, and e start would be nice.
    Here is one new for $1699
    //hartford.craigslist.org/mcd/d/groton-2016-kymco-pipe-pipe-125/6809903327.html
    thederrick106 likes this.
  4. thederrick106

Oddometer:
    I don't think it would really compare to that honda. That XL125 is an old school dual sport with dual rear shocks, and a vertical engine. A better comparison would be any of the honda offerings that have the super cub style motor, which in my opinion, the kymco k-pipe engine is designed after.

My '01 KE100 is more similar (two stroke motor aside) to that older KL than the K-pipe... The K-pipe is more like a moped that is trying to look like a sportbike/ dirtbike kinda thing.

I had a mid 80s XL250R which was twice the bike, motor and suspension wise, that the K-pipe is.

I love my K-pipes but they are a budget minded commuter that doesn't look like a moped (but kinda is), is capable of posted speed limits on level and down hill streets, and is capable of being ridden through the woods. Its very basic, easy to work on, easy to ride, and looks like a neat sportbike dirtbike -ish thing!

If anyone gets one thinking its more than what I have posted so far in this thread then they are setting them selves up for failure. Its good for what it is, but its not a high speed low drag bike, its not a dual sport, its not a dirt bike, its not a sport bike, it just is.
    JerryH and klaviator like this.
  5. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    I noticed you have a Honda Rebel 250. I also have a Rebel 250, and while I really like it, it is extremely cramped, and I wind up sitting on the very back edge of the front seat, which is very uncomfortable. Is the K-Pipe riding position more or less comfortable than the Rebel? I have put over 10,000 miles on pedal mopeds, so I am fairly comfortable with them. The K-Pipe seems to be what a moped really should be, other than it's lack of pedals. I am getting more and more interested in getting one.
  6. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    I sat on one at the dealership when I bought my Buccaneer. It's actually pretty tall, and feels much, much MUCH larger than a 250 rebel.

Charles.
  7. thederrick106

Oddometer:
    Hard to compare to my rebel as it has a completely different stance. I also find the rebel a bit cramped and I am 5'8. I too sit at the back edge of the seat on my rebel and it gets uncomfortable pretty quick. I would say, with taller modified ATV handle bars it does have a more comfortable stance, but I have always preferred the standard bike positioning to a cruiser. I must also add that seat on the Kpipe is not comfortable for long distance treks. About an hour is all I find comfortable on it, as it has a somewhat hard and narrow seat, more like a dirt bike feel. I guess the best I can come up with is: "they are different, both have pro/con." The Kpipe is about the most nimble easy to "throw around" bike I have ever had and enjoyed.
    When I had my first one just over a year ago there was about zero aftermarket for it, and not sure what's out there now so that's also something to think about, if that matters to you. Valve clearance and adjustment is stupid easy, as is pretty much everything else with the bike. Back up kick starter is nice. Just ordered a new aftermarket battery for my new/used Kpipe I just got and it cost me $30 shipped to my door!

With all that said, for me at least, and all my "small" bikes I don't think it matters which one I am on, after about an hour I start to get uncomfortable.
    JerryH likes this.
  8. thederrick106

Oddometer:
    Much taller, much lighter, and much slower! LOL!
    ChopperCharles likes this.
  9. JerryH

Oddometer:
    I went down to a local hole in the wall mom and pop Kymco dealer a couple weeks ago to look at the K-Pipe, and they had a couple of Spades. I got on one. It feels a LOT bigger than it really is. You would never know from the seat that it has 12" wheels. It has a very solid substantial feel the K-Pipe lacks, and is much roomier than the Grom. I just watched a video on YouTube about a guy that did a Saddlesore 1000 on one, and made it. Something else to think about.
  10. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Monkey bike is also pretty roomy but the Spade costs less and is probably a bit faster.
  11. AMAC1680

AMAC1680 Outdoorsman, advocate, paraplegic

Oddometer:
    I like my spade, small lite but feels big. 5 speed trans drags me to 70 mph gps .
    But it’s more about wheelies, stoppies and other hooligan behavior........

Ok,can’t talk about the spade anymore, not allowed on this page as it a motorcycle.........
    Not my call.

AMAC
  12. thederrick106

Oddometer:
    I agree 100%. It has a very solid "feel." But it is more motorcycle than scooter, where the K-pipe is almost more moped than motorcycle.
    AMAC1680 and klaviator like this.
  13. thederrick106

Oddometer:
    I am very happy with my space.
  14. Jetstreamer

Jetstreamer Sandlapper Brapper

Oddometer:
  15. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20 miles from where I'm sitting right now.
  16. thederrick106

Oddometer:
    Well, slowly getting my K-pipe 125 up and running. Just waiting on a set of mirrors I ordered on Amazon then I can go get it inspected... I want to put a few hundred miles on it then do the valve clearance.
    Added high bend ATV bars that I had to cut down a bit so all the controls would reach. Also added the Tusk hand guards, I really like their looks. I did a bit of sanding and flat back paining on the rear side panels just below the seat. I also removed most of the stickers for a simple look. I added some front mix matched signal lights. I hate them being different from the rear but I also like the way the rear fit on the back fender. Maybe at some point I will just stick some cheap LED ones all the way around it.

IMG_20190423_184752.jpg

IMG_20190423_184810.jpg
    IMG_20190423_184817.jpg
    IMG_20190423_184823.jpg
    IMG_20190423_184834.jpg
    IMG_20190423_184847.jpg

Attached Files:

The Virginian, MYUMPH and klaviator like this.
  17. JerryH

Oddometer:
    I had a ton of Tusk stuff on my XT225. Do you happen to know what the weight capacity on the K-Pipe is? It feels a bit flimsy to me, but I rode mopeds for a long time, and I had a Honda Metropolitan 50cc that had a 270 pound weight limit, while the Yamaha Vino and C3 50cc weight limit is only 170 pounds.

I may get an actual moped for dirt road use. They are chain drive and have no parts that dirt could damage. A Tomos or Puch 2 speed should work fine. Yes they have tube type tires, but they have centerstands and use what basically amount to 20" bicycle tires. Super easy to change.
  18. thederrick106

Oddometer:
    I would have to look up what the "official" weight cap is... All I know is I am a solid 230+ all geared up, and the K-pipe feels pretty solid to me.

My bikes for comparison: 17 Ruckus. 18 Spade. 07 Rebel 250. 01 KE100. Plus I just got a non suspension Mega Moto 212 mini bike! (for use at post apocalyptic festivals.)
  19. JerryH

Oddometer:
    I finally found an online copy of the K-Pipe owners manual. Max weight capacity is 233 pounds. So I don't need to consider that one anymore.
  20. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jerry, you know those weight capacities are set by lawyers not engineers. I'm sure that in Asia they put a family of 4 on this bike and it doesn't collapse.