Kymco K-Pipe

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by AMAC1680, Feb 19, 2016.

1. thederrick106

thederrick106 gone-fishin

Oddometer:
    My wife and I have ridden two up on it a few times, and it doesn't feel like its going to blow apart... Of course that carbureted 125 isn't real sure what to do when its hauling 350#... As long as setting speed records, and catching air isn't your goal I am sure it can carry 300# on a regular basis. It has a pretty stiff suspension. So does the Spade for that matter... Must be a Kymco thing.
  2. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Super 8 also has a stiff suspension. It had no problem hauling my wife and me around. It actually handled two up much better than many of my bigger bikes. I have no idea what the load capacity of my Super 8 is and I don't really care. I'm pretty sure we were over the load capacity.

I just checked the owners manual to see what the load capacity is. Here's what it says:

Dry Weight? Carry heavy - 120.5kg/150kg

:scratch

I'm thinking that means load capacity is 150kg which is 330 lbs. If that's the case we weren't over weight by that much, maybe 20-30 pounds.
    thederrick106 likes this.
  3. ozgnp

ozgnp Half/fast

Oddometer:
    Picked up my Kymco about a week ago. Got about 120 miles on it. Like it a lot. Had been looking for a used small bore dual sport for a while. They're either past their shelf life, or folks are asking stupid high prices for them. My K Pipe was a left over '16. Full 2 year warranty on, and only $1500. Speedo is 3-4 mph optimistic, but had an honest 54 mph with GPS. Not broken in yet, but it will do just fine for my purposes. Will likely add DS tires a bit later. Great deal. Quite pleased with it. And it (co-incidentally) matches our Mini Cooper, and my Bonneville.

Attached Files:

4. jimroid

jimroid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Red and black is always a winner!
    thederrick106 likes this.
  5. thederrick106

Oddometer:
    Get some high bend bars on it, if well feel a lot better especially if your goal is semi dual sport type usage.
  6. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not putting down the K-Pipe, but the best small bore dual sport ever made is the Yamaha XT225. It is rated to carry 400 pounds, and is bullet proof. If you can get on and off of it, it is the way to go. I took mine through all kinds of things that it was not designed for, and it never broke.

I was into the moped scene for several years. I see this as a moped without pedals that should be able to keep up with city traffic, and could be ridden on the shoulder of rural country roads, just like a moped. True 30 mph mopeds are suicide machines in my city.
  7. thederrick106

Oddometer:
    1992 XT225 was my first motorcycle. While I don't have it anymore I remember it well. Its not really a fair or good comparison for the Kymco 125.

I agree, it fits in the moped class more than the dual sport class. Not to mention the XT225 has 100 more CC + more gears.
  8. JerryH

Oddometer:
    Yeah, someone else mentioned using the K-Pipe as a dual sport. I'm concerned it wouldn't support my weight even on smooth pavement. Hit a bump and it might just break in half. Same thing is true of any moped, which is one of the reasons I gave up on them. I gave away the last one I had. But as far as a true dual sport goes, I've had a few, and the XT225 was by far the best of all. Small, cheap, rugged, I did a lot of crazy things on it, and it never broke. I finally had to sell it because I could no longer get on the tall seat. Back in 2001 I rode a KLR650. Back then I could get on it, but could not flat foot it. I sat at stop lights rocking it from side to side, because I couldn't get both feet on the ground at once. But I was in much better condition back then. I still like the K-Pipe, and wouldn't at all mind having one. But I need something that I can get on and off of, and still has at least some dirt road capability. The Honda Trail 90/110 seems to be about it. I checked out a 1996 Honda XR100 (19' front wheel) several months ago, and I fit on it, but there was no easy way to make it street legal.
  9. AMAC1680

AMAC1680 Outdoorsman, advocate, paraplegic

Oddometer:
    Change the tires on a SPADE and you’ll do better as a DS than the K-pipe.
    But again can’t talk about the SPADE here, ruffles feathers for some reason......

AMAC
  10. thederrick106

Oddometer:
    I love my spade, but its suspension is way to stiff to anything more than smooth dirt roads IMHO. I could ride it on rough dirt roads, I could also ride a hard tail on rough dirt roads, but would end up really sore the next day.
  11. ZigzagguzzI

ZigzagguzzI Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Who uses moped anymore.?
  12. JerryH

Oddometer:
    Have you been living under a rock?
    https://www.mopedarmy.com/

I've owned 7 of them since 2000. I was invited to join the local Moped Army branch, but they were all a LOT younger than me, the only thing we had in common was mopeds. Mopeds are not "used" They are played with. There are a huge number of moped enthusiasts in the U.S. I got my first moped in 1977, at age 18. I already had a motorcycle, but mopeds looked like a ton of fun (they are, out of town) and were dirt cheap at the time. Outside city limits, they can be ridden on the shoulders of any road but a freeway, and there are thousands on miles of such roads in my state. I'd still have one if they made one that was rated for my weight. I was about 50 pounds lighter back in '77. It's a real blast buzzing along the shoulders at 30 mph.
  13. ZigzagguzzI

Oddometer:
    I was referring to those who use the term moped when the vehicle was a scooter. The florida gran prix riders used to have a moped class at some races.
  14. JerryH

Oddometer:
    There are still a number of moped races put on by various moped clubs across the country. You can modify the engine all you want, the only real restriction is that they must still have functional pedals. I've never done it, but it is a bit tricky. You have to make sure the left pedal is up on left turns and the right pedal is up on right turns. They usually race on Kart tracks.
  15. ZigzagguzzI

Oddometer:
    Yea, the pedal thing seemed to be a problem, they were fun to watch, kinda slowmotion racing.
  16. thederrick106

Oddometer:
    Well, sold my 2001 KE100 today. Time to start thinking about some dual sport tires for my K-pipe.

On the front tire it says 2.75. The rear says 3.5. They are 17" wheels.

I still need to do a bit more research and or calculations to see what will or wont work but I found one website that says its stock metric sizes are: Front 120/70-17. Rear 130/70-17.

I want to stay with tubeless.

So if those tire sizes are correct I am thinking a Shinko 705 120/70-17 for the front...

https://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/motorcycle-tires/shinko-705-motorcycle-tire/p/19697

Possibly a Shinko 705 130/80-17 for the rear, which will be 1" taller than stock. Or a Kenda K784 big block 130/80-17 for the rear The Kenda is a bit more expensive but I like the way it looks and I wouldn't mind a bit more aggressive tire in the rear.

https://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/motorcycle-tires/kenda-k784-big-block-motorcycle-tire/p/37873

On the flip size will the more aggressive big block tire suck to much HP from the already lacking CC count on the K-pipe when on the road? The matching Shinko set might be the better way to go, an it is cheaper. I have time to think about it, as I am no rush.
  17. thederrick106

Oddometer:
    Of course I found a tire conversion chart that listed the following:

80/90 = 2.5/2.75
    90/90 = 2.75/3

100/90 = 3.25/3.5
    110/90 = 3.75/4

Maybe some of you old school moped guys can point me in the right direction on tire size and understanding the conversion.
  18. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope, that'd be the TW200! :D

Though I might be partial. I did start the forum, after all...

Charles.
    JerryH and forkintheroad like this.
  19. JerryH

Oddometer:
    I personally love the TW200, and would to have one, especially if it had tubeless tires. In my condition I seriously doubt my ability to repair a flat tire by myself out in the middle of nowhere on a TW200. My XT225 had a centerstand made by a member here who no longer makes them. Also it had skinny tires that looked like they would be easier to get on and off the rim. I kept it till I could literally no longer get on it without standing on something. I also believe the TW is more dirt oriented. It's fat tires would make it better off road, but it would no longer be as good on pavement. I wish Yamaha would put tubeless wheels on it like they did with the Super Tenere. I would probably buy one if they did.
  20. downtavern

downtavern Pants Flyer

Oddometer:
    Any updates?

I just put a deposit down on a NOS 2017 model in white.

Pretty stoked as I've always loved riding the honda horizontals like the C100 and ct90!
    The Virginian likes this.