Kymco K-Pipe

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by AMAC1680, Feb 19, 2016.

1. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    I went down and looked at one and sat on it. It is not factory rated for my 240 pounds plus gear and cargo. I would feel ok with it on the road, But I have scooters for the road. I was looking at the K-Pipe as more of a dirt road bike. I decided it might not hold up on dirt roads with all that weight on it. I think the CT90 and CT110 would be better for that. But they have a much more cramped riding position and tube type tires. I think the K-Pipe would be a really fun ride on the street. It has a very comfortable riding position, at least for me. Being a 2017, I'd check to see if the shift pattern has been updated. Even the 2019 has neutral at the bottom. I think the first ones had a completely reversed pattern. There are a couple of great video reviews on YouTube on them by a guy named Dodge Rider. He just bought one and intends to modify it.
  2. downtavern

downtavern Pants Flyer

Oddometer:
    I have been following Dodge Rider, he's a very good reviewer when it comes to describing the riding experience.

As for the shift pattern, it still is the same and I'm ok with that, I'd actually prefer the heel toe shifter that came on the 2016 as it is more Cub like.

Our plan (me and my wife) is if we like this one and think it's suitable for our application then we'll pick up a matching bike and modify both of them.

The Application: long range touring.

I'm a little dubious of the subframe holding up to a few months worth of gear so I have an idea for reinforcing it, there are lots of ways it could be triangulated to the engine mount area and I have access to a machine shop to make that happen.

I've also considered cutting the back end off and constructing a whole new subframe with integrated racks.

A new handlebar is probably in the works as well with some heated grips and a windshield.

I know the seat sucks, I'll be hacking that up.

For the motor, I'm not sure I want to touch it because of the warranty... but its hard to resist with aftermarket parts being so cheap.

Any suggestions from owners about other glaring issues or improvements that could be made is appreciated.

Personally, this seems like a very good platform for this application (I love the honda style horizontals, so simple to work on) needing only some simple mostly bolt on modifications to be similar in capability to a ct90.

That being said, please poke holes in this assessment!
  3. downtavern

downtavern Pants Flyer

Oddometer:
    Update

Went down to Hall's in Trussville AL (outside Burmingham) on Friday to pick up the K-pipe, they had it assembled and paperwork was fast and painless. Sadly, I didn't take any pictures of it on the carrier behind the Dodge Charger, but lets just say ground clearance was an issue!
    0.JPG
    saw this guy at the gas station on the way home, we helped him back to the bush.
    f1.JPG f2.JPG
    Took it for a 10 mile spin that night.
    1.JPG
    The next day (Saturday) I did some breaking in riding around with friends in the Knoxville area before things became to congested because of the game.

Afterwards, I did the first oil change at a friends house, clock showed 29.4 miles.
    2.JPG
    Sunday My wife , myself and two great friends went for a ride in the country and finished it off with Cruze Farm pizza and ice cream, we could barely ride home because our bellies were so full!
    r1.jpg r2.jpg
    Wife pizza face omitted for personal safety, look at this guy instead.
    P1.jpg Happy Ice Cream Wife.
    I1.jpg
    We are very pleased with the K-pipe, it reminds me of late 90s-00s hondas quality wise (besides decals) and rides a lot like a S90/c110/s65. Its breaking in very nicely, I saw 62 indicated yesterday and it gets stronger with every ride.

My wife absolutely loves it, which is good considering this one is hers! I'm happy with it as well barring the few flaws I pointed out in a previous post. I see a second one in our future, I think these will fit our purposes quite nicely.

Big thanks to my buddy Dan ( guy next to pizza face wife, also xr400 dude) for riding down to Bama and helping me load up the K-pipe!

Also, Thanks Jake for your sexy scooter modeling.

Oh, and wife did the 91.8 mile oil change yesterday, easy peasy.

Nate

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      548.5 KB
      Views:
    klaviator and jimroid like this.
  4. downtavern

downtavern Pants Flyer

Oddometer:
    FBA9D883-D77D-496F-8E5C-5245AA0DACAF.jpeg
    Dan shared this, that carrier is MAYBE 2 inches off the ground.
  5. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would love to trade my Rebel for a K-Pipe if only it would support my weight. there is a dealer close by that has 3 or 4 in stock and takes trades. The K-Pipe fits me a lot better than the Rebel. The difference is the Rebel is freeway capable but very cramped. It also has tube type tires. I could ride the K-Pipe on all the local roads, and even up into the mountains on a non freeway road that has a right lane for slow traffic. I have ridden mopeds and my manual shift Stella scooter up there several times. I quit riding mopeds because I got too heavy for them. I had to seriously over inflate the tires and put motorcycle shocks on the rear to keep the rear fender from hitting the back tire. I'm going back to have another look at the K-Pipe.

I see you have it on a hitch rack on a Dodge Charger. I have a Mercury Grand Marquis. It should fit fine on that. Where did you get the rack?

Why did you cover your wife's face while you were eating pizza, but not in the next picture where it looks like she is earing an ice cream cone?