1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Kymco K-Pipe

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by AMAC1680, Feb 19, 2016.

1. downtavern

downtavern Pants Flyer

Oddometer:
    Could you be mistaken on the model? I thought the first year of import to the US was 2016, or is she living abroad? Any detailed info about the failures would be appreciated, so far I'm very happy with the purchase.

Also, very impressive mileage on such a small bike in such a short period of time, was she touring?
  2. downtavern

downtavern Pants Flyer

Oddometer:
    Hey Don, sorry for the late reply!

We have been riding it as much as life will allow, its a great store runner!

I made a rack for it a while back, all steel with a big wooden platform coated in spar varnish... I only have this picture of when we were welding it up (Don't tease, I know I'm a bugger welder) I'll post a pic of the completed setup if I have some time.

K-baby rack.jpg

Cheers!

Nate
    dp064 likes this.
  3. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's beginning to look like the CSC SG250 may be what I am looking for. I want a bike that can be ridden (fairly slowly) on dirt and gravel roads and very smooth trails. I cannot get on and off of a dual sport, even my former XT225, due to the seat height. The SG250 has a much lower seat height, and I saw a youtube video of it with knobby tires being ridden on dirt roads. The SG250 is also carbureted, has a kickstarter, and a centerstand, which would make it possible to fix flat tires while riding alone. There are thousands of miles of dirt roads in my state, and I would love to be able to ride on them again, and also be able to ride on paved roads to get to the dirt roads. The SG250 has a 4 gallon tank that should come in real handy for riding a ways from civilization. It is small, but nowhere nearly as small as a CT70 or a CT90/110. It has a long seat, and I could sit near the back of it, like I had to do with the 1982 Honda Passport I had back in the late '80s.

A CVT scooter won't work because dirt would get into the CVT and destroy it. The drivetrain needs to be completely dirt proof, and a manual transmission and clutch would be very beneficial.
    Nobade and The Virginian like this.
  4. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    This was in the UK. She was commuting to and from work - year-round (so frequently wet and salt exposure in the winter.) I could be mistaken with the mileage, it might have been higher.

EDIT: I just checked with her. The mileage was right but it was only over 12 months. She said it died at least twice per month over the warranty period and not to touch one.

She had THREE new engines and FOUR transmission repairs, exhaust fell off and the mounts vibrated all their threads away. The list goes on and on.
  5. dp064

dp064 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Nice work! Are you staying with just a top box or the full 3 piece luggage?
    Don
  6. dp064

dp064 Adventurer

Oddometer:

@JerryH.. I have a SG that I bought last June and it's got about 2300 miles. It's been an amazing amount of fun.. a bit of a gateway drug, however, as it made me buy a V-Strom a few months ago.
    Don
    The Virginian likes this.
  7. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately I can't get on a V-Strom, otherwise I'd love to have one. If they made dual sport bikes like they did back in the late '70s/early 80s, with a mostly flat seat, I could get on one. The rear part of the seat on my XT225 was several inches higher than the front, and it was that I couldn't swing my leg over. Once on I could flat foot it easily, even with a bend in my knees, but getting on required standing on something. The SG250 has a low flat seat.
  8. dp064

dp064 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Agreed, riding them back to back, the seat height difference is huge.. I really like them both. My only complaint so far is that my SG feels like it has about 3" of rear suspension travel.. it's a little tough on my old age lower back. The bike is light so the power is fine. Seat height is listed as 26" but that number is to the bottom of the seat. I plan to putting the Shinko knobbies on mine to do the same kind if riding you mentioned.
    Don
  9. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I weigh 275, Fifty pounds over the rated capacity. My only close comparison is the SV650 I had, I think the Kpipe is suspended better, I used to bottom out all the time with the SV, and I'm not with the K-pipe...... but maybe the shitty SV suspension taught me to avoid potholes better, and I'm just not hitting em with the Kpipe

fwiw, once I put a decent shock on the SV, and Pirelli MTR60-Corsa tires, it was an awesome gravel road bike
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    dp064 likes this.
  10. dp064

dp064 Adventurer

Oddometer:

@downtavern ..just saw the HiLife! ..your welds get a pass if that one is half way through six!
    Don
    downtavern likes this.
  11. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got her up to 61 today (3/4 mile 5% downgrade)
    dp064 likes this.
  12. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Indicated?
  13. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    What about a Suzuki Van Van? Or a tw200, but I believe the Van Van has a lower seat height. Fuel injected, e-start, Suzuki reliability, and suited perfectly to dirt roads. I had a tee-dub and loved it. Loved it enough to start tw200forum.com.... but the VV looks really Schweet. Either one might work. If you want carbs and a kicker the TW would suit better. If you want style and efi, the VV.

Charles.