Kymco Like 150i

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by pnw, Mar 28, 2018.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a very good dealer with a good tech that is much better than I am at working on my scooter. The problem is that it's 110 miles away. I still do my own routine servicing but I'm not fixing things that are covered by the warranty or the electronic stuff which is over my head.

As for the Like, maybe in a year or so they will work out the bugs since this is a new model. Overall Kymco seems to make pretty good stuff.
    The Virginian likes this.
  2. av8erdunn

av8erdunn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How does the 200 compare in reliability?
  3. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I haven't heard of any issues with the 200 but it's not as good of a scooter as the 150i. The 200 has less power, more cramped seating position and I don't think it has ABS. It has a 163cc 2 valve motor compared to the 150cc 4 valve on the 150i. It also has less electronic stuff to break. You could probably find one for a good price.
  4. CROSSBOLT

CROSSBOLT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Kymco EFI systems are pretty basic therefore easily diagnosed. Most problems are not EFI related and ordinary diagnostic procedures with simple tools will find the causes. I bought a Kymco analyzer tool early 2013 and have yet to seriously use it! It has been used to force a dealer in another state to honor the warranty! I think that is your biggest worry. Is your dealer and his techs really capable of honoring the two year warranty?
  5. klaviator

Oddometer:
    The problem was that the Like 150i uses totally different cables from earlier models to plug in and read the error codes on the ECUs and there were none of those cables in the USA. My dealer may be the only dealer in the country that currently has the equipment to diagnose problems with the Like 150i but I'm sure that other dealers will be getting the proper cables and equipment. The tech at Max Motorsports is a real scooter guy who used to run his own scooter business. At many dealers the techs are mostly working on motorcycles and ATVs and aren't that familiar with scooters. I think the sales, service and parts departments at Max are all top notch and would highly recommend them to anyone interested in any of the brands they sell.
    maydaymike likes this.
  6. av8erdunn

Oddometer:
    That’s the thing, no one around here rides or works on scooters. They aren’t manly enough!! It’s gotta have a clutch and make a lot of noise.
  7. CROSSBOLT

Oddometer:
    Where is Max?
  8. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Pelham, just south of Birmingham.
    CROSSBOLT likes this.
  9. Wolfeboats

Wolfeboats Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mines been perfect, have about 1350 miles on it so far.
    klaviator likes this.
  10. gitder

gitder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No issues on the one I have at 1000 miles.
  11. CROSSBOLT

Oddometer:
    I may have to ride down there and check them out...I really marvel at them changing the connections! Different cables...
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
    There are a lot of cool toys to see at Max. They have a lot of scooters in the showroom, Vespa, Piaggio and Kymco. They also carry KTM, Husqvarna, Suzuki and I think some brand of electric trials bikes.
    CROSSBOLT likes this.
  13. JPopee

JPopee Scooter Crash Test Dummy

Oddometer:
    Been off the forum for a while but since I got my Like back, I haven't had any problems with it. It's very enjoyable to ride. Actually, I've got the scooter bug so bad now, I went and bought two other scooters. A 2016 Lance Cali Classic 200I and a 2009 SYM RV 250 along with the People 50 2T I had previously bought. But that's for another thread....
    klaviator and MYUMPH like this.
  14. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Like has been fine as well, with the exception of one air filter housing bolt that fell out, and that was after I picked it up from the dealer and the fuel pump recall and 600 mile service was done. Don't know if it had been removed at the time of service, and not tightened back up, or just coincidently fell out, but I replaced it and put some Blue Loctite on the new bolt and it has stayed tight. The nuts that hold the exhaust header to the eng would become a little loose occasionally, but now that I have over 1,300 miles on it, they seem to have finally stayed put. On my last ride a couple weeks ago, while enjoying some easy pace, back road riding with essentially no WOT, I got 110 MPG. Overall I would rate it as an excellent machine, especially for the price. I think Kymco makes quality units for themselves, as well as for many other big name brands. It seems that Kymco USA is having management issues from what I've been told, and all of the "good" people left, and some lady is in charge. Not sure which happened first, but hopefully they can get it sorted out soon.
    klaviator likes this.
  15. S/W

S/W Long timer

Oddometer:
    Experienced mechanics can work on motorcycles or scooters, it doesn't matter !! It is nice to have access to the service manuals .
  16. av8erdunn

Oddometer:
    Yes but if you don’t have the right tools for the job you can’t do it. They need the software, cables or whatever it takes to work on the new ones.
    CROSSBOLT likes this.
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    CRAP!!!!!!

Broke down again!!

[​IMG]
  18. klaviator

Oddometer:
    So what's the one thing that is easy to fix on the side of the road???
  19. =retread=

=retread= more MPG

Oddometer:
    putting in gas cause you ran out!!!
  20. Trucker jay

Trucker jay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Loose spark plug cap I hope your that lucky
    kpinvt likes this.