Kymco Like 150i

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by pnw, Mar 28, 2018.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's about 10 MPH slower than an Smax. I miss the extra performance of the Smax but I'm more comfortable on the Like and it's much lighter and feels more like a small scooter.
  2. Wolfeboats

Wolfeboats Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My speedo and my Garmin GPS agree exactly. On a flat road with me sitting up (5'10") it will hit 60 but it takes awhile.
  3. Dylangerfour

Dylangerfour n00b

Oddometer:
    Has anyone had an issue with the speedometer not working?
    I just got my Like last Saturday and put just under 200 miles on it when suddenly the speedometer stopped working.
    I parked for 5 minutes after a 20 minute ride and when I started back up the speed stayed at 0.
    The ABS light is now constantly on too.
    I'm hoping for a known fix so I don't have to take it back to the dealer.
  4. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The ABS light comes on each time you start it, and goes out once you get moving around 10 mph or so. For whatever reason the speedometer quit working is probably why the ABS light won't go out. I don't recall hearing of anyone having speedo issues, I guess you have looked to see if the cable/wire coming off the front wheel is still there?
  5. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I think there was someone else with Speedo/ABS issues but I don't remember what the fix was. I don't even know which wheel has the input for the speedo but probably the speed sensor for that wheel goes to both the speedo and ABS. I'm guessing it's the front wheel. Either the speed sensor is bad, the magnetic ring on the front wheel cracked or the wiring to the speed sensor is loose.......or maybe even a fault in the ECU. Regardless, you will need to take it to the dealer for troubleshooting. If you are lucky your dealer will have the proper cable to read the codes in the ECU.
  6. Dylangerfour

Dylangerfour n00b

Oddometer:
    Yeah - both wires are intact (at least as far as I can tell) and connect to the front wheel. I called the dealership to see if there was any kind of fix I could try myself, but they said they had to work on it because it's digital (I have the Noodle version). They're going to call me when the part arrives at their store. I may get a mount to put my phone on in the meantime. I really hate that I'm missing out on some great riding days. It's been excellent other than this issue.
  7. JPopee

JPopee Scooter Crash Test Dummy

Oddometer:
    I had the speedo issue. Since it was under warranty, I took it back to Max Motorsports and let Matthew diagnose it. My ABS also was not working properly and was addressed as well. Good luck w/ yours. Mine works great now.
  8. laujenm

laujenm n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello. Been looking at getting a PCX but saw today a 150 abs on Facebook today. 2018 with 16 miles. He is selling for $1950. It’s inspected till next July (Pennsylvania inspection). I’m intrigued. Would save some money. Would need to test drive it of course. So I guess my questions are - is that a good price? Based on Kelley blue book it’s $100 under retail, but of course I wouldn’t have to pay all the standard dealer fees etc. And, do I need to check for any recalls etc.? Thank you!
    The Virginian likes this.
  9. Gandude

Gandude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello,

I think a PCX is different style of scooter than the Like. A Like is more retro, I have been enjoying mine for the short trips around town.

There is a recall for most 2018's regarding the fuel pump. Check with a dealer near you and see if the VIN on this scoot was completed.
  10. Wolfeboats

Wolfeboats Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's not much more than half the price of a new one with fees and taxes. Sounds like a great deal of it's not banged up. Less than half the cost of a new PCX with just front wheel ABS.
  11. StephanN

StephanN n00b

Oddometer:
    Just did a similar class in New Orleans Louisiana offered by Harley. It was a great 3 days with lots of riding and teaching. A lot of fundamentals where covered and I benefited tremendously from it. Got my license this morning and now looking at scooters. In particular the Kymco Like 150.
    klaviator and The Virginian like this.
  12. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stephan,

Welcome to ADV and Battle Scooters and congratulations on the acquisition of you license! We sure hope you participate here in Battle Scooters and you will find loads of help here should you need any.

Eric
    CashCow and MYUMPH like this.
  13. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Update on my Like. I just returned from a trip to the NC mountains where I rode around 700 miles in 3 days. I was riding with a group of scooters, all but one of them 250cc and up. We rode twisty and often steep mountain roads. Some were smooth, some were rough and we even did some dirt roads.

So I now have over 4600 miles on my Like. Most of you read about the issues I had early on but on this trip it ran flawlessly. I was consistently getting 90+ MPG. That's much better than the 70 MPG I got the first thousand miles or so. I guess it needed to break in.

The handling and brakes were great. I still wish it had a bit more power as it struggles going up steep hills. On one super steep hill I could only go 25MPH. At least I was able to run away from the guy on the Buddy 125:D

Despite some rough roads the ride, which seemed pretty harsh when new, was not bad. I think the suspension loosened up some and the City Grip tire on the rear also helps. The OEM rear tire was worn out in 1700 miles. This City Grip has 2900 miles on it and I'm pretty sure it's good for at least 3000 more.

A few pictures from my recent ride:

On top of Mt Mitchell.

[​IMG]

Group picture. Bikes ranged from 125 to 650cc.

[​IMG]

Gravel road riding.

[​IMG]

Playing sport bike.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cornering clearance is decent but I did scrape a couple of times in the curves.

For more details of my recent trip, my ride report is here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/full...the-rocket-city.647784/page-118#post-38254195
    egret, CashCow, RobG. and 5 others like this.
  14. laujenm

laujenm n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I’m looking at the scoot this weekend. That price is $1000 less then what they are going for at dealers near me. With only 16 miles on it it seems like a great deal. I need to drive it to be sure. Been also looking at the Smax. My concern is that if I get the Like will I regret it and all I wish I would’ve gotten the S max or the PCX. So much cheaper however.
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    The Like is a 60 MPH scooter. If you don't need to go faster than that you will like it. The Smax is a 70+ MPH scooter. If you want to be able to ride those speeds you might just regret not buying an Smax. I had an Smax for around one year/5000 miles. I do miss the extra performance of the Smax but overall I like the Like better. It just feels more like a small lightweight scooter while the Smax felt and performed more like a 250 than a 150. Size and weight wise it was also closer to a 250 than a 150.

In the end they are both great scooters and I'm sure you would enjoy either one.
    CashCow and The Virginian like this.
  16. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    Klaviator and I swapped scooters for a few miles on the Blue Ridge Parkway up to Mt. Mitchell.

I found it to be a fine machine, feeling much like my three Vespa GTs.

Not quite as fast and lighter, it handled well and felt great.

I recommend the Like to anyone looking for a small scooter.

Bill
    Bueller, MYUMPH and klaviator like this.
  17. Gandude

Gandude Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Go with what feels good and provides for your needs. The Lke is a great scooter and from what I hear, so is the S-Max. I do know you will be happy with whatever you get, scooters have a way of doing that to you :)
    klaviator likes this.
  18. StephanN

StephanN n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks Eric. I pick up my new Like 150 tomorrow morning. Super excited to drive it
  19. StephanN

StephanN n00b

Oddometer:
    It has been a lot of fun riding the scooter. I ended up looking at several including the buddy 170i, Like 150 and Lance Havana Classic 200i. The buddy felt to small for me, my knees where continually hitting the handlebars which was bummer. Leaving the Havana 200i and the Like 150. Both where comfortable but I ended up liking the Like150i more. So far its been great and having been driving quite a bit. Can’t wait for the cooler weather as its been 93+ for the last 2 weeks.
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    4938 miles on my Like. It was time for another oil change getting ready for another trip. I figured while I was at it I'd check the air filter.

WHAT A PITA!!

To get to the filter you have to remove the pet carrier as the two top screws holding the cover on must be accessed from the inside.

That's not what made it a PITA. There are a bunch of nice looking bolts holding the filter itself. They didn't want to go back on. I got some of them on but there were three that just wouldn't go back on. I ended up going through my miscellaneous bolts bin and finding three the correct size and used them. The bolts looked nice but the machining is off or something.

The filter itself was not that dirty. I'd say 8-10,000 miles would be a more reasonable interval unless you ride in exceptionally dusty conditions. I think the owners manual says every 1000 miles or something ridiculous like that. If it had been easier to access I'd have left it in but I went ahead and put in a new one while I had it apart. I'd say it took me two hours to change the oil and air filter.

Other than the Air Filter being a PITA to change I have been happy with the way the scooter has been performing. After a disappointing 70 MPGs the first thousand miles or so I have been getting high 80s and 90s lately.