Kymco RevoNEX

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by T.S.Zarathustra, Nov 28, 2019.

1. T.S.Zarathustra

T.S.Zarathustra Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. ctromley

ctromley Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would be Very Interested in this, if not for the 6 speed gearbox. Not wanting to open that can-of-worms discussion again, I personally think it's a waste of valuable battery space. Though I am curious about how they do it without a clutch, and what that means for gearbox life. (Then again, if you're shifting through the gears all the time, you clearly do not understand how an EM is not like an ICEM. Shifting all the time through gears is just plain silly.)

And then there's the artificial noise. If you can turn it off or disable it, no harm no foul. If it's always there, this bike is for fantasy riders. That's not me. For me a motorcycle is a tool, not a cartoon ride or attention-getting device.

Hopefully Kymco will provide more info soon. More likely they'll drag it out to generate speculation and 'buzz', another sort of game-playing I have no interest in.

If anyone here buys one, maybe we can put to rest all the speculation about improved performance or efficiency that a gearbox is supposed to provide with some properly-gathered hard data.
  3. woodsrider-boyd

woodsrider-boyd Wow, these guys are fast

Oddometer:
    I'm with you on the gears vs no gears on an e-motorcycles. Prior to taking a ride on an Alta I was convinced having a clutch and gears were necessary. One test ride on an Alta and I realized there was no need and the negatives outweighed the benefits.

And artificial noise? Really? Wow. That is embarrassing.

This Kymco looks interesting though.
  4. T.S.Zarathustra

Oddometer:
    Artificial noise is about to be legal requirement in EU countries. Without it the bike fails inspection and is not road legal. In other countries you can probably turn it off.
    Gears. I've mentioned few times that it will give you better acceleration, and higher speed, with better efficiency, and therefore better range. Some people refuse to believe that is the case. :D
    I usually only use the clutch when stationary. When riding I change gears by putting pressure on the lever and flip the throttle. Technique I learned while drag racing. Once you get feeling for it it's very easy to do. Flipping the throttle can be done in software. Since electric motors don't idle, you of course don't need clutch when stationary.
  5. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    There is a good reason why cordless drills have a two speed gear box ; )
    DRjoe and T.S.Zarathustra like this.
  6. T.S.Zarathustra

Oddometer:
    Shh. You'll burst some peoples precious bubble. :lol3
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  7. magnussonh

magnussonh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very ugly, otherwise not bad. Having owned couple of very reliable Kymco scooters I like the brand.
    T.S.Zarathustra likes this.
  8. T.S.Zarathustra

Oddometer:
    I have to agree with you. The Peacock tail treatment, which leaves your back covered in crap when you ride in the rain (to try to prevent that they have made the licence plate holder, and the turn signals, part of the unsprung weight. That setup tends to break parts and lose license plates). The apparently randomly glued on bits, with hardly any smooth lines. I know it is fashionable, especially on naked bikes, but I think only its mother would call pretty.
    There are things I like. Like the frame, which is refreshing change from the cheap triangulate steel pipe frames that are popular. The adjustable upside down Öhlin forks. The Brembo dual front disk brakes. The traction control. The ABS. The selectable power curves. The gearbox (Leave it in low gear when in town, or in a hurry. Gear up when you're covering distances, or accelerating slowly. Or let it shift automatically).
    I hope it's comfortable to sit on. Like the Zero S, and DS, where the seating triangle fits me nicecly, while the Zero SR does not.