Kymco XTown 300i

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by JerryH, Feb 22, 2019.

1. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anybody know anything about the new Kymco XTown 300? A local dealer has one OTD for $4100, and better yet, he is willing to give me a decent trade for one of my current bikes. It's a Kymco, so I'm pretty sure it is a decent scooter. I know it is made in China, but so are the BMWs. In fact they are mostly made by Kymco.
  2. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jerry, I rode a 300 and 400 Kymco at the big m/c show in Columbus, Ohio last year. Being new bikes with very few miles, the brakes on the 300 were not good. Maybe with more miles and a proper break-in, they would improve. The seat didn't fit my butt right, but that's a personal thing. I would try to get a test ride if possible.
    The problem was, I rode the 400, and it was an amazing scooter! Great brakes, great seat.
    The quality looked good on both scooters.
  3. Trucker jay

Trucker jay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The motor is not the same as in the 300 downtown or people 300. I believe it has a 2 valve head instead of 4 valve head.
  4. LoloPD

LoloPD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a straight choice between the Kymco300 Xtown and the Yamaha XMAX300, the Kymco being $350 cheaper. The were both remarkably similar specifications, but at the end of the day it was the Yamaha engine quality that won the day for me.......even though i had to wait 9 weeks for delivery!
    EDIT......sorry I miscalculated. The price difference was about $750
  5. JerryH

Oddometer:
    Around here there is about a $3500 difference between the XMax and the XTown. $4100 is OTD for the XTown. The XMax is $5600, plus a $400 destination fee, plus dealer fees, tax, title, and registration. And a Yamaha dealer would offer me several hundred less for my trade. I would actually prefer the two valve motor because it's 2 less valves to deal with. As long as it will handle freeway speeds, that's all it needs to do.
  6. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have looked at and sat on the Xtown. It seems like a nice scooter and I wouldn't be concerned about the quality. From reviews I have read the performance of the Xtown is considerably less that the Xmax. According to rviews the Xtown is about topped out at highway speeds while the Xmax has power to spare. Here's a review:https://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/kymco/2018-kymco-x-town-300i-ar179023.html

According to this review the top speed is 75MPH. That's about the same as a Burgman 200.
  7. AMAC1680

AMAC1680 Outdoorsman, advocate, paraplegic

Oddometer:
    and about the same as my RV200.
    It’s a shame they discontinued the motor in the downtown. That scoot would do 90.

AMAC
    CROSSBOLT likes this.
  8. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Jerry what color the blue or gray? My dealer has a blue one and the seat is mainly black, but the rear corner panels are burgundy. Doesn't look like it belongs on the blue one. I asked the sales guy and his response was "you get what you get with Kymco" and probably during assembly they just "grabbed what was close by". I think it would look better on the gray one. Another gripe I had was the seat has 1 gas shock mounted on the right side that limits how far it can raise up, and when its closed, it makes the seat sit very crooked by pushing up on that 1 side. Just a cosmetic thing though, and to me the seat felt great. Overall I really liked it and asked if they would consider a trade for my GW250, but they never got back with me. It does have your tubeless tires and a center stand, but comes with EFI! How are you gonna live with that Jerry?
    klaviator likes this.
  9. JerryH

Oddometer:
    It's a matte black 2019 model. I don't like the color, and I don't like the maxi scooter look. But I see it more as a transportation appliance that could take me places farther away than any of my current scooters could. But, if it tops out at 75 mph, it wouldn't do me much good. I saw YouTube videos where it topped out at 85 mph, I guess it has a really optimistic speedometer. My former HD200 would hit 75, and I've gotten 73 out of my Vespa GT200. I thought a 300 would do better than that. I've been told a Majesty 400 would hit 100. I doubt it. But it should do better than 75. I guess I'm stuck with a used Majesty if I want to ride a scooter on the freeway without it being at WOT.
  10. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Majesty is good for 90+ on level ground but I have seen 100+ with a tail wind or down hill.
  11. Trucker jay

Oddometer:
    It's 275 cc with 22 or 23 horsepower kinda duplicates your Veaspa without looking good doing it
  12. minimac

minimac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jerry, my old Majesty, with 36K miles will still top out at an actual 95 on the interstate. That's where I, not the bike topped out. It will run a comfortable 75-80 all day. The ride can be a little rough on bad roads, but that's easily cured with softer shocks and lighter fork oil. It's a better handling bike than the comparable Burgman, and a whole lot less on the used market.The extended maintenance schedule is better than almost anything else out there. The belt is good for an honest 20K (manual say 12K)and still be in spec. The valves are checked at 26K-mine were fine. Next check is at 50k. If it seems a little high in the saddle for you, I have a ̶c̶h̶e̶a̶p̶ inexpensive fix for that. I know you don't like the Maxi look, but the wind and weather protection is very good.
    Alexander B likes this.
  13. 87112

87112 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You most likely will have to pay a shop to firm up that xtown 300 seat, its painful squishy. So add at least 250 to the 4100 OTD, for that price I rather get a used Xmax or Forza.
  14. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pick up a used BV350. It looks more sporty, has some of the best performance you’ll find in a mid size scooter, over 30 hp, under 400 lbs dry, comfortable seat, nearly neutral ergos and has similar service intervals to the Yamaha. They are out there with or without ABS depending on the year you buy. Perfect for you!
    Wentwest and tastroman like this.
  15. bbfugitive

bbfugitive n00b

Oddometer:
    I have owned the x-town for about 2 months. 4100 OTD is a great price, I paid more. Factors that influenced my purchase were the dealer was much closer than any other; at 300cc the price/performance seemed unmatched by Piaggio, Yamaha, Honda, Lance, Suzuki; 85% of my riding is 15 to 20 min daily commutes in good weather when I don't need to pick up my kids or groceries and some me time on weekends. Sure I wanted a bike that was faster and more comfortable on the interstate but I will rarely ride it there. Looking at larger cc Scooters and smaller displacement motorcycles provided too many choices and didn't seem to increase my joy for 85% of the riding I would do.

At WOT the bike does 76 on the speedo on the flat roads of S. Flo. I've seen 80 on the highway maybe it was the wind or a decline, but the bike always gets up to 76 pretty quickly.

At 65 and above there is a vibration that I've read about in some reviews. It bothered me at first especially because I haven't ridden much since the 90s, but it really doesn't anymore. This is not a bike you will do more than a few quick exits on the highways, hence the name Cross Town.

The Yamaha dealer is about 8 miles farther from me, but if it was closer, in hindsight I would seriously consider the X-Max. It has larger wheels and a little more power, and the engine vibration at top end are apparently better managed. And I'm still waiting on a bracket from Shad that needed to be imported from Spain so I can mount the Shad passenger backrest that I bought from Amazon UK. IOW, the accessory market for the Kymco is pretty light.

But I am extremely happy with the X-Town. It reminds me so much of my starter motorcycle, 1982ish Honda 450.

Let us know what you get!

Attached Files:

16. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like the wheels on your xtown.
    bbfugitive likes this.
  17. ScooterJon

ScooterJon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's surprisingly slow in top speed for such a big motor! I routinely see an indicated 78-83 on my 155cc Yamaha Smax depending on conditions. The Xtown is a decent looking bike, but it's a shame the performance is so compromised.
  18. Trucker jay

Oddometer:
    276 cc 2 valve head just 23 horsepower. Kymco cheaped out on the engine and then really rounded the number up in the name.
  19. AMAC1680

AMAC1680 Outdoorsman, advocate, paraplegic

Oddometer:
    That’s what it was a price point move. The 300cc near 30hp motor in the old DT300 was a great motor. Too bad it’s gone.

AMAC
    CROSSBOLT likes this.
  20. Trucker jay

Oddometer:
    Yeah hanging on to my gti 300, but it's not going to be replaced by another Kymco when that time comes around. To bad that the people didn't sell better.
    CROSSBOLT likes this.