Kymco XTown 300i

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by JerryH, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Blue&Yellow

Blue&Yellow but orange inside...

Oddometer:
    2 valve head isn't necessarily a bad thing in a scooter. Generally speaking 2 valve = more bottom end torque, 4 valve = more top end power. So if you want a relaxed easy to drive character 2 valve is actually a pretty sensible choice.
  2. CROSSBOLT

CROSSBOLT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This has convinced me that my love for what I have is well placed! Kymco had a real winner in the DT300i and could have made some refinements and allowed the model to mature more but opted for the "IT'S NEW!" promotion instead. Boo-hoo!
    Trucker jay likes this.
  3. Moat

Moat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just think of the XTown as a really nice, full-featured, well priced 200-250cc scooter (with very generous underseat storage, apparently). The lower power output should result in a long-lasting, under-stressed powerplant. Nothing wrong with that at all - if it fits the use profile/expectations.

I like it, and would certainly consider one closely if I was in the market for such a scooter (i.e. - pretty much covers all of the bases except extended freeway use - which I avoid like the plague anyhow).

Very nice scoot, bbfugitive! :smooch Keep us filled in on how it's working out for ya', if you get the time.

Bob
    bbfugitive likes this.
  4. ddarkone7

ddarkone7 yamaha xmax 300

Oddometer:
    I wish the scooter world in Texas know how good the Downtown 300 is, because I've been trying to sell mines since 2016, with no luck.
    CROSSBOLT likes this.
  5. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  6. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    The 2019 pic from USA site.
    So is that rear abs or just a speedo sensor?

2649964003.jpg
  7. CROSSBOLT

Oddometer:
    The worst thing about Kymco is their inability to get ANYTHING right in print: owner, service manuals are the worst.
  8. Trucker jay

Trucker jay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Worst thing about Kymco is there in a race with R.E, Motto Guzzle to have the least dealerships.
    minimac, kpinvt and CROSSBOLT like this.
  9. CROSSBOLT

Oddometer:
    You have that right!
  10. forkintheroad

forkintheroad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just curious what people's OTD price on these have tended to be. I used to have an Agility 125 and I liked the quality of it. I miss the storage of scooters.
  11. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    4 valves can be tuned for more low end and more top end. They are also more expensive. The X-town has a 2 valve motor to keep the price down.
    CROSSBOLT likes this.
  12. CROSSBOLT

Oddometer:
    Th
    That is what makes NO SENSE to me they go to all the trouble to gear up a "new" machine after the Downtown matured in production quite well, needing a few improvements like more leg room for big Americans. The performance was quite respectable for a wannabee maxi-scooter and the mileage great giving a comfortable 200 miles with ample reserve to the 3.4 gallon tank. I get keeping the price down but retooling for a new machine? How about a different approach to "new" by improving something that works well. Unlike the pot-luck DISASTERS of the 500's with hard starting and cams eroding like sand. I know, I know! NIH = Not Invented Here! Kymco and Kymco USA are definitely hearing impaired.
  13. Nevada

Nevada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Utah Valley, Utah, USA - unless out riding.
    The likely reason for the change was government regulations. Odds are the old engine in the Downtown wasn't able to pass Euro 4 and couldn't be made to do so... or perhaps some other jurisdiction is the culprit.
  14. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
  15. BigBaloo

BigBaloo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kymco did exactly that when they introduced the Downtown 350 as the successor to the Downtown 300.

The X-town 300 is a different market segment altogether and is an old model.
    It was originally titled "Agility Maxi" when announced way back in 2014.
    Agility is Kymco code for bargain basement.

Kymco's US importers have chosen to bring the cheapo model to the USA, the upmarket Downtown 350 remains available elsewhere.
    CROSSBOLT likes this.
  16. klaviator

Oddometer:
    The DT was/is a more expensive scooter than the X town. Expensive scooters just aren't selling in the USA except for Vespa.
    forkintheroad and CROSSBOLT like this.
  17. forkintheroad

Oddometer:
    I actually like the idea of Xtown 300 as the upgrade to the Agility. I had an Agility and it was a very good scooter for what it was: a cheap way to get around town and cost less new then the local Genuine dealer wanted for a used Buddy 125. It was no frills but did everything I required of it and came with a 2 year warranty. For about twice the price of the Agility you get twice the scooter or more in the Xtown.

Kymco USA had too many models for dealers that weren't willing to give up much floor space to them, and my suspicion is they can sell more $4k Xtown (this is the 3rd time I've had to correct myself when i typed Xmax) then the Downtowns and Myroads that would have sat for years. Americans never developed a love affair for the Maxi scooter and with the Burgman gone, there just aren't many left. Most people don't buy scooters and those that do aren't generally buying on performance. They'll never take their machine past 75 or so passing on a freeway, and even then they won't be on the freeway for more than a few exits, which Xtown seems perfect for. In person, it looks impressive to me.

Also, besides Agility and Super 8/9, Xtown is the only product name Kymco has that doesn't sound goofy. :D (Bet and Win, Like, People, Yup, Dink, Grand Dink (!), Movie etc)
    Moat and klaviator like this.
  18. klaviator

Oddometer:
    The X-town is a lot of scooter for the money. You can probably buy one of these for around the same OTD price as a PCX or Smax. From a marketing perspective I think Kymco has a winner in the X town. Sure the DT350 is a better scooter but I doubt it would sell here since it would likely be around 2K more than the X-town.
    CROSSBOLT likes this.
  19. forkintheroad

Oddometer:
    I'm right now on the fence between Xtown, PCX, and Smax. Xmax is still unobtanium around here, and as much as I like it, I don't need the performance. The thing I liked about Xtown was the gigantic Forza level of storage, and, as always, the warranty. The downside, I'm worried if another Kymco dealership dries up I'm left with an unsupported orphan.
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Tough decision. I bought a Like 150i about 10 months ago. The nearest dealer for me is 110 miles away just south of Birmingham. Chattanooga and Nashville are only a little farther away but I'm pretty confident that Max motorsports is here to stay.

As for your decision, the Smax has performance pretty close to the X town but it's a smaller scooter. I haven't heard that much about the latest PCX. I never considered the PCX because of the brakes among other things but they made some changes to the latest model.