Kymco XTown 300i

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by JerryH, Feb 22, 2019.

1. JPopee

JPopee Scooter Crash Test Dummy

Oddometer:

If your near Murphreesboro, I just visited Sloan Motorcycle and ATV last week and they had an XMAX on the showroom.

A used Majesty is great for highway speeds and can now be found in the $1500-2500 range used. There's currently a 2012 BV350 listed for $1750 in Nashville, TN. on Craigslist.
    forkintheroad likes this.
  2. forkintheroad

forkintheroad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What kind of top speed to you get from the Like?
  3. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Like tops out around 60. Performance wise it is not in the same class as the Smax. The Smax was good for 70+. It had better wind protection than the like and more underseat storage. I find the Like more comfortable than the Smax and it's just a smaller, lighter scooter. Both have excellent brakes but the Like also has ABS. Fuel Mileage is similar although that's hard to campare. I consistantly got 80 MPG or better on the Smax. I get 80+ on the Like and have gotten over 100 but I also ride it at lower speeds than I did my Smax. The Like costs less but is also more likely to have reliability issues based on my experience. I had zero issues with the Smax in 5000 miles.

For me, I prefer the Like around town because it's just a lighter, smaller and more nimble scooter. I was able to to take the Smax on out of town trips with my camping gear. I haven't tried that with the Like and probably won't although I do plan on taking some trips without camping gear.
    forkintheroad and DandM like this.
  4. forkintheroad

Oddometer:
    Maybe its just me, or maybe the 2019 model is different but the one i saw at a dealership recently (SMAX) did not seem to have as much space as i had hoped it would. THe storage bin wasn't very deep, compared to my old agility, or the PCX-150. I hear people say the opposite so i dont know why it seemed that way to me.
  5. klaviator

Oddometer:
    The storage bin in the Smax isn't that deep but it's pretty long. I think it's a bit bigger that the one on the Like. You can't put a helmet in it but that is what I use a tailbox for. I was able to put my Helmet, Gloves and light overpants in the tail box and jacket under the seat. I can do the same with the Like but it seems a bit tighter. These aren't maxi scooters and won't hold as much as my Majesty which has more underseat storage and a 56L tailbox which will hold 2 FF helmets. I think you could put a larger Tailbox on the X-town without it looking too big than you could on a smaller scooter. I had a 40L Shad on the Smax but I think a 47L Givi would have looked OK.

My Smax loaded up for a camping trip:

[​IMG]

If touring is something you want to do a lot then the X-town might be a better scooter. If not I would certainly consider the Smax.
    kpinvt, Bar None and forkintheroad like this.
  6. ScooterJon

ScooterJon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Like Klaviator said, the length/width of the Smax storage is amazing. I can fit TWO 12 packs of soda under the seat, something that can’t be done in any other scooter of the same size. My padded jacket also fits under there. I can fit both my 3/4 helmet and full face helmet under the seat (not at the same time), though you have to tilt the helmet just right to use the indentation in the seat bottom. When I took her on a 5 day trip, I had my bookbag, toiletries bag, battery jumper, and some snacks tucked under the seat. My clothes were in a 40L dry bag strapped behind me. She’s an excellent trip scooter for such a small engine. The PCX could never have fit all that under its seat.
  7. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Also, because of the indentation under the seat it's deeper than it looks.
  8. forkintheroad

Oddometer:
    I think I need to give it another look, then.
  9. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    https://www.chandlerpowersports.com/details/new-2019-kymco-x-town-300i-abs/62096352 Dealer now has a non matte black 2019 model. Price has gone up a little, but that is the actual price, not including government fees, like TT&R. It does not have thousands of dollars in additional dealer markup fees like the Japanese models. And they are still willing to give me a decent trade in for my bought new and still like new 2016 Rebel 250. This may be hard to turn down. The Rebel is freeway capable, but has tube type tires, making it dangerous at freeway speeds, and impossible to repair a flat tire on away from home. The X-Town also has a LOT more room for someone my size. It has a 2 year warranty, but there is still the issue of disappearing Kymco dealers, which could make that warranty worthless, and there is also the issue of parts availability. My former SYM HD200 also had a 2 year warranty, but the only SYM dealer in the state went out of business in less than a year after I bought it. Then the SYM forum disappeared. The same thing may happen to Kymco. I'm sure the XMax 300 is a better scooter, but at $2000 more OTD, it is in a completely different league. To me that $2000 means the difference between being able to buy it and not being able to buy it.
  10. minimac

minimac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While your concern about a local dealer being around is legitimate, I wouldn't let it stop me. I am looking at a similar one. I don't think you can beat it for the money.
    ClearwaterBMW likes this.
  11. ClearwaterBMW

ClearwaterBMW The Examiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is still a brand-new one sitting on the floor @ Action Wheelsport in Pinellas Park, FL
    (727) 541-2453
    That's right bought my Like 150i
    ask for DAN.... He's one of the owners and great guy
  12. ScooterJon

Oddometer:
    I was seriously considering one as well but after my visit to Red Embers Cycles in Daytona Beach, now I’m not so sure. They sell Vespa/Kymco. Cycletrader listed them having lots of Kymcos, including one blue Xtown. I went to their store and they only had a few Super8s. When I inquired about the Xtown, the guy said, “oh we don’t keep many Kymcos anymore as we are distancing ourselves from them”. He said as the shop mechanic, he used to think the Kymco 125cc motor was the best bang for the buck but recently their reliability has tanked and they aren’t standing behind their warranty, thus why they stopped stocking them. He told me recently they sold a brand new 50cc Kymco and it came back not long after with a blown motor. The piston had partially melted and he had never seen anything like that catastrophic failure before. Knowing it was under warranty, the shop gave him a brand new scooter and attempted to fix it under warranty. Kymco refused the repair despite the shop pointing out it was well within the 1 year warranty. He said Kymco has a new CEO and she is only concerned about the numbers, not quality. Quite disturbing....combine this info with others on here saying Kymco has been disappearing from other areas, it just doesn’t bode well for their product.
  13. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    that guy is a moron or horribly misinformed
    kymco is the 2nd best scooter seller in europe
    that jerk said that... because profits are higher on Vespas
    don't ever shop there again
    kymco makes quality scooters.
    everyone here knows that
    thanks for calling out the folks from Ember... they have ulterior motives, undoubtedly or just ignorant of the facts
    do you really believe that?
    do you REALLY believe that when BMW, until recently, had ALL of its scooter motors made by Kymco?
    how sad
    forkintheroad likes this.
  14. ScooterJon

Oddometer:
    Yes, I do believe what he said. He was the mechanic for the store and deals with warranty repairs. The store still sells Kymco so it wouldn’t make sense to bad mouth them unless there is truth to it. If they aren’t honoring warranty repairs, then buyers do need to beware and I believe he was being sincere in his concerns. There’s been a lot of talk elsewhere about dealers dropping Kymco and this could very well be why. Kymco has also changed management recently, which he mentioned as the core of its problems.
  15. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    I'm fairly sure his words are not the prevailing thoughts of people all over the world who sell their products. this is where the internet is at its worst where people with unfounded opinions can change the minds of the masses. I've been around this forum for a long time and I'm sad to see this thread go this direction. I did an incredible amount of research before deciding to buy my kymco and I beg you to dig a little bit deeper and not listen to the rants and raves of one single mechanic in one location. spend some time on YouTube looking at the thousands of kymco's being sold in Thailand etc. I appreciate your contributions here but if I were you I'd look for a different place to spend your money or you can perhaps take what I've said with a grain of salt even though Kymco has sold more scooters at 150ccs and above than every other company but one on the face of the Earth last year. which should tell you that the thoughts of your friend in Daytona are misguided, misinformed, and completely wrong.

Now, let's get back to less argumentative discourse and put this behind us.
  16. ScooterJon

Oddometer:
    Not being argumentative. I was sharing the opinion of someone who sells and works on them. If someone in the industry has become concerned, then it warrants attention. If you choose to not believe him for whatever reason, that’s your prerogative but let’s not be childish and call someone a moron because you don’t agree with him. The fact he WORKS on them gives his opinion more credence then a non owner like me. Does it mean they are all junk? NO....just means perhaps you should make sure you have a good dealer before taking the plunge.

As for digging deeper, there is literally no one in here that has bought an Xtown and it’s been out for 2 years now. No owner reviews in the US makes it difficult to determine if they are reliable and if any problems are quickly taken care of. I do however keep up on the Like 150 forum, and it hasn’t been trouble free. While owners tend to like them overall, Klaviator has been quick to point out that his Like has had numerous problems and numerous trips to the dealer. Thankfully he has a good dealer. Orlando area doesn’t unfortunately and that plays into my fear of trusting Kymco with my money. I still may look at the Xtown as it’s priced nice and looks good, but what I heard today did give me pause.
  17. 9MCatDaddy

9MCatDaddy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looked at them all for my GF and we happily recently purchased a 2011 29 Horsepower Downtown liking several key features missing from other scooters. Good Under seat storage and ability to mount a full size windshield. Love the almost motorcycle sized tires and fuel injection. Goes pretty well anywhere ya want it to!

Attached Files:

forkintheroad and minimac like this.
  18. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    This is where the Internet is horrible
    I'm not an argumentative person, and I apologize. I just happen to love my particular scooter.... And I did a lot of research to buy
    the company is infinitely more respected than most others in Europe and Asia for a reason
    we don't live in a scooter country, unfortunately, and I'm sorry that there were horrible responses from the company regarding that particular issue in Daytona
    I would like to see more of them sold in this country
    surely the company would be out of business if this with the way they were doing business all over the world and not be the second largest seller of large cc scooters worldwide
    I hope that you have a great day and please, I apologize for the argumentative nature of my post
    please don't spend money on what you don't think is worth it to you, and I pray that if something happens to my Like 150i is taking care of in a respectful manner
    I am loving my Yamaha XMAX 300 as well... But I did purchase the five year limited warranty, even if that doesn't make financial sense to most people
    Again, have a great day and I do apologize
    please post your experiences with your scooter with pictures and wonderful stories about how it has major life better because mine certainly make mine better
  19. CROSSBOLT

CROSSBOLT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They certainly are not my words concerning Kymco quality but "moron" accurately describes the used to be "mechanic" at that dealer. My recommendation also is to distance oneself from this dealer and its resident moron or at least use them very cautiously for minor accessories.
  20. ScooterJon

Oddometer:
    Oh, I agree about wanting to see more scooters sold. The options have dwindled so much recently. I love my Smax but I’d like to also own a midsize scooter to more easily allow long distance trips. Money being a concern, only the Xtown and the Xmax are possibilities. But finding them nearby is difficult. Vespas, Burgmans and BMWs are too expensive. Honda left the market. My short height makes fitting bikes a constant problem. It’s frustrating to say the least. I’m mad at myself for buying the wrong motorcycle last year and now can’t get rid of it. You would think a Honda bike would be easier to sell. WRONG. The market is so small for bikes now that it’s about impossible to sell them. The dealer I bought my bike from offered me less then half what I paid for it 9 months ago with only 500 miles on it. Ridiculous...anyway, just venting. Scooters are where it’s at and I just don’t get why more aren’t sold.