1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Kyocera 2 Verizon vs ATT for GPS navigation without cell service

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by tomasv, Nov 12, 2019.

1. tomasv

tomasv Check the Czech!

Oddometer:
    Hi, I found info that I was not able to confirm so I am wondering if anyone can confirm please:

1) When using the ATT version and there is no SIM, it takes long time (above 5 minutes) to get lock-in on satellites as the phone first tries to find towers and triangulate. In addition, this is the case every time the phone is turned on as it does not save the last location for satellite lookup (unlike Garmin devices)

2) When using Verizon the satellite lock is almost immediate, i.e. the same as Garmin or any other device without a data plan to get a triangulation from cell towers.

Can anyone please confirm or deny any of these, please?

Thank you
  2. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    I have the AT&T Kyocera Duraforce Pro without a sim card. Satellite lock is usually a minute or less
    wbbnm likes this.
  3. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    I have the AT&T DFPro, with SIM card satellite acquisition is immediate. I would not think the gps operation without the card would matter, many folks use the DFPro without a card.
  4. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    1 change location settings to "GPS only" from "high accuracy". the "high accuracy"is a lie, and only there to make users think it's more reliable/better, but it's real purpose is to relay positional info to google. "GPS only" will be more accurate, faster, and reliable.
    2 check settings there also
  5. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think mine is a little slower that my Garmin Montana to lock. But it is rarely an issue. I suspect lockup time is related to how much you have moved since you last used a navigation app.
    And lockup seems slower indoors where satellite signals are degraded.