1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

L. A. ADVenture Rides

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by NSFW, Mar 5, 2008.

1. fudgypup

fudgypup Banned

Oddometer:
    Has anyone heard of NEMO equipment? They make some great tents and stuff. They're getting into making sleeping bags and I entered their contest to be a product tester. To win I just need my friends to vote for my video where I do a mock product review.

I know. It's one of those annoying pleas to "vote for my video!" you get from your neighbor but it's their dopey kid or dog doing something "adorable." In this case, at least it's a product we all use and aren't shy with giving feedback on.

So do me a solid and vote for my video It's a vid I did reviewing some Crocs Trailbreak sandals.

Should I win, think of all the free stuff I'll be handing out.
  2. tex_downey

tex_downey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    free stuff im in, cant ride anyway my bike is a goner :cry black smoke when i throttle up and white when i let off. :eek1

take that Cali air.

and as you guys love to give out your thoughts for free there is a f650gs in San Diego on the classifieds, i think i need to cut back on my off road its just costing me to much. i just want a bike to make it home and do some camping and a few two tracks here and there.
  3. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    `....excellent as usual Jamin, good edit.
  4. Earl999

Earl999 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WOW, awesome pix and vid Jamin!

That ride must've been SPECTACULAR!

Other than the rear flat, any issues with the XRL?

Just curious how much oil was consumed on the trip, ~1000 miles?
  5. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:

jm will be the next george lucas...:clap

bring on the rest jamin....:lurk

any link to a rr?
  6. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Old Angry White Guy (OAWG)

Oddometer:
    I keep reading the add. Everything I have read says it is respectable on the street, good on the fire roads, meh on the single track. I like the looks of the bike, if I wasn't loking for an XRL I would have pulled the trigger on the GS.
  7. NSFW

Oddometer:
    eric, great sandals and nice vid, but sorry i don't have a fb account.

i know, a portion of my paycheck is dedicated to adv riding.....:wink: without camping, it's not adv riding.

been driving the 2000 chevy since it was new.....:D
  8. IntrepidRunner

IntrepidRunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good move. Please post what it's like. We're considering scheduling a L.A. Weekend Ride on Nordhoff Ridge October 29.
  9. NSFW

Oddometer:

from what i've seen, the dr650 is on top of the economical bikes.
  10. jamin_mathis

jamin_mathis Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had way to many flats, I put on my best used 606 before the trip and I kept getting flats but I could not find the cause... I started to doubt my mechanical ability and took it to a shop and they couldn't find any thing wrong other than the tire was passed it prime. On the next flat I found a 1/2 slice in the tire I think the tube was rubbing inside the gap left by the slice until it poked a hole... I put a patch over the slice on the inside of the tire and on the tube where the tube meet the slice and that was good 350 miles of interstate so I think that was the cause.

As for oil it used a little more than a quart in about 1500 miles of hard riding it's almost like having a 2 stroke:lol3.....:cry. This bike is on it's 3rd top end and 2nd head it has always consumed oil at this rate weather it was the factory, a shop or me who built the motor. So I've given up on this bike as a big trip bike. My XR600r hardly burns oil at all and that is almost the same motor so I just don't get it I must have got a lemon or I'm doing the break in wrong, I don't know.

My writing skills are poop so this is as close as I get to a RR but Mark was on this ride and stayed 4 or 5 more days than I could and his RR skills are top notch so with in a week or 2 I'm sure he will post up a great RR with lots of great photos.

I can tell you this there was the following Challenges.

A broke down truck that added 500 miles to Marks ride and 1000 to mine cuz I had to ride back to it.
    Many Many flats on my bike.
    A oil line that was knocked lose by hitting a rock
    A hole poked in a stator cover that was patched with quick steel on the trail
    A dirt noob who got in over his head on one particular trail (Sorry about that Jim)
    A broken shifter shaft on a bike that requires splitting the case to fix.:cry
    A back up KLR
    Blumpkin jokes
    And lots of great riding and scenery.
  11. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Old Angry White Guy (OAWG)

Oddometer:
    I was reading different material, it said that the xrl was the best choice if you wanted a dirt birk to ride on the street. I have the Honda bug. I can find then for $3k or less, the katooms seem to be going for $5-6K. After I get the xrl and I see how much I ride and where I will be riding, I expect that some :bert will be in my future.
  12. Ben99r1

Ben99r1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The xrl is a pretty good bike on the dirt. It just needs some new springs for the size of the rider. I am near 35-40 miles on the motor. I am just starting to burn oil. I am burning about 4 to 6 oz every 300 miles of DS riding. I am going to open up the motor and see what I need to fix it? It does not cost much to own and maintain. Buy one ride for a awhile if you don't like you should be able to get your money back for it. Ben
  13. Fishyhead

Fishyhead Eremikophobic

Oddometer:
    I often wish I bought an XRL.
  14. NSFW

Oddometer:

DAMN.....what a rough ride............but the truth is, it just make you better in dealing the next hardship.

bob, the xrl is a good bike, but if that coolade is burning inside you, skip the intemediary bike....go orange and get over the anxiety attack.

i like my xr400, but the thought of riding an exc has been killing me. watching the PPs, it seems they are better riders and having more fun. got myself one and sheez, it put a smile on my face. still love my xr400 though.
  15. Rev Kiecker

Rev Kiecker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I believe the count was 8. No one else has a single flat during the CO portion of the ride.

I'm in MN now and heading to WI in a couple days. Afterwards I'm riding back to LA via mostly dirt I hope. I have a flight to Baja for a couple weeks and if I have time then (sounding not likely) I'll begin editing photos and reporting. If not it'll be after I'm back mid Oct. I didn't bring a computer with on this trip. But a great ride it's been thus far. :evil

I had the chance to ride Jamin's XL through part of the Timberline Trail. In a really rocky bouldery section that I struggled a bit on the X I was able to wheelie his bike past others on the single track. The low gearing was awesome on the XL. I hadn't realized how much more dirt his bike is compared to mine. It was a ton of fun to ride although I bet I was more comfortable on the pavement then he was.
  16. Earl999

Earl999 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jamin, just curious if you've rejetted and/or have done Dave's carb mods on your XRL?

Also, what type and weight of oil do you use? My XRL's oil consumption rate is low with full auto syn 10W-40.

Duy, I love my XRL, it's a versatile bike that serves my "ride to" needs well. A few mods like rejetting, bash plate, hand guards, heavy duty shift lever & pegs, stiffer fork springs and fork brace really transforms the bike into a much more capable intermediate DS bike.

However, I can see a lighter weight "truck to" Beta in my future. :D
  17. tex_downey

Oddometer:
    dont worry Eric i have a FaceBook and i voted for you.
  18. jamin_mathis

jamin_mathis Long timer

Oddometer:
    @Earl

Yep Dave's mod my jetting is 58/162.... I think... and I pull the silencer and snorkel
    10w 40 castorl motorcycle oil

I'm going to try and make a oil cooler for it, I ride it to hard for what it is.
  19. jamin_mathis

jamin_mathis Long timer

Oddometer:
    We should get together all the duel sports in the 650 range and do a buyers guided video, compare the

XRL
    KLR
    DR
    X chalenge
    KTM 690
    TE610/630

And maybe even throw in plated
    XRR
    and KLX
  20. tex_downey

Oddometer:
    a buyer guide would be a good thing. iv been looking for a guide like that. just my KLR side might be a bit tainted right now.