1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

L. A. ADVenture Rides

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by NSFW, Mar 5, 2008.

1. fudgypup

fudgypup Banned

Oddometer:
    thanks, Tex. I figure between us all we have some good feedback on sleeping bags.
  2. tex_downey

tex_downey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    or lots of complaints.

side note. my girlfriend just told me that she hopes i spend the time away to mature. so im going to spend my with you guys. :clap
  3. xymotic

xymotic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dunno why you'd wanna embarrass all the lesser bikes that aren't a 610.:deal
  4. sopascat

sopascat not much of an adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    oh yeah, hanging out with these guys will help you mature :rolleyes
  5. xymotic

xymotic Long timer

Oddometer:
    hehehe I changed a letter and now it sez manure.:deal :D how manure of me:poser
  6. spafxer

spafxer Long timer

Oddometer:

You want mature, just post her pic for the boys ! :lol3

7. tex_downey

tex_downey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No pic im not that dumb. :deal
  8. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Old Angry White Guy (OAWG)

Oddometer:
    We can help you manure. Trust us. She will never bother you again. :rofl
  9. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:

the 690 will eat them all (with the exception of the xrr and klx)......:dg

i think it boils down to dr650 vs xl650. love to do a test ride on both of them, of course in stock condition.
  10. spafxer

spafxer Long timer

Oddometer:

I find the permit process to be a pain in the ass. Not a big deal, but I have to ask permission to go into the public forest... Oh well..

Everone has to call the Ojai Ranger station seperately, talk to the right guy give him the model of bike, license, your name and mailing address. They leave the pass in a mail box out front since they are only open on week days.

You also have to have a fire permit (no fires permitted at this time though) and Adventure Pass. The AP is the only thing that costs anything (I had one so I forget how much).

Access to the Nordhoff Ridge is only available through Rose Valley. It was a total of about 25 miles of jeep roads, 3 different roads to ride on. Two end in dead ends (unless you call the sweet single track a rideable trail. Hikers and horses only) and the third has a locked gate near Sisar Rd. in the upper Ojai area.

The view is outstanding. Lights of Santa Paula, Oxnard, and Ventura. The Channel Islands feel close by. There are about 3 decent camp areas. No view, Rose Valley view, and Channel Islands view :clap Saw only one other camper, 2 hunters, 2 deer, and 2 other trucks leaving the area. This was on Labor Day weekend !

Very few trees so no shade, hot, dry, and dusty.

I thought the permit allowed access up the 33 on another road too, but I forgot to ask the Ranger about that. Yes we did see the Ranger when we were at the gate about 3 pm on Saturday. She looked over our permits pretty closely.

So, since it's close and has a great view, it's ok to ride. The Carrizo Plain is much nicer other than an extra 130 miles round trip to get there. :cry

11. NSFW

Oddometer:

yeah!....lots of local 40something riders who bought small bikes just turned 16.....:rofl
  12. xymotic

xymotic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Til it breaks and leaves you stranded. Oh, yeah and it's FOUR THOUSAND more than a 630.

And sorry, but I'm not so sure about eating em all either, the 610/630 transmission is sublime. It will keep up pretty good down low & in the dirt, and when you hit the highway @ 80+ it will destroy a 690.
  13. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fixed.

It's still the monkey, not the banana that makes the real difference.
  14. NSFW

Oddometer:
    someone i know paid $7K otd for a brand new 2010 610....:huh

monkees had been in orbit but never a banana........i'm starting to believe it.
  15. jamin_mathis

jamin_mathis Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think all of those bikes have there own merits (even the KLR) but if Honda has saved the tooling for the XRR and could get a plate on it, it would be an easy choice (for me any how)

I don't think comparing them in stock condition would be the way to go cuz we all know that a show room duel sport would be moded about 20 mins after it left the show room floor. I think we should factor in the must do mods. I think in stock form the XRL & DR have a little more than a 100 mile range.
  16. jamin_mathis

jamin_mathis Long timer

Oddometer:

Ain't that the truth... but some one one should be the banana
    Sommelier don't you think?
  17. Off Limits

Off Limits Banned

Oddometer:
    When my dr was stock it would go on reserve at 11O miles. The suspension is junk stock for my 220 pound fat ass. Only mods I've done to my 09 is the pro cycle suspension package fron and rear which is worth it's weight in gold, Skid plate tightened with red lock tite so it's never ever coming off, and the ims 4.9 gallon tank which will get me 200 miles.... Barely. Motor , jetting and exhaust remain bone stock as I like the stealthy ness of it as I pass people so not to scare them too much. Oh yea, little windshield makes a huge difference on the road and also dropping 1 tooth on the counter shaft for offroad. Also I get about 3500 miles from my 606s which I got balanced after putting rim locks and that makes a big difference too. Is that a lot if mods? Lol I'm drunk! But seriously, it's dead reliable and I've got 8500 miles on it so far in almost 2 years. So Tex if you go low tech get a dr , Its got an oil cooler. Xrl runs hot. I wanted a ktm 690 but they wanted 11k. I paid 10k for my rhino so I thought it was a jip. Dr was 5500 otd. 117 a month zero down and 260 a year for full coverage insurance.
  18. xymotic

xymotic Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 610 is unrideable stock. Well, I guess some folks ride them restricted, but man oh man take off the cat and lose the carb BS and the bike explodes! (in a good way :poser)
  19. jamin_mathis

jamin_mathis Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure if our talking to me or not but all of these bikes are quirked to get passed the EPA as I understand it.
  20. IntrepidRunner

IntrepidRunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great news. Let's plan on a L.A. Weekend Ride there on Oct. 29.

A few comments:

• A call to the ranger at (805) 646-4348 within 14 days of the ride is necessary to request a pass. Since only 20 passes per day are available, its best to call around Oct. 15.
    • Where is a nearby staging area for us to unload at?
    • An Adventure Pass is $5.00, and only needed when stopped in the park. I say it is a good idea to buy one and have it handy.