1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

L. A. ADVenture Rides

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by NSFW, Mar 5, 2008.

1. sito

sito Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. M1Jeep

M1Jeep Long timer

Oddometer:
    FYYFF and I will be doing a nite ride Friday up Cleghorn to Arrowhead to Holcomb and setup camp. Leaving Long Beach area by 8pm.

Anyone else up for a nite ride up is welcomed to join us. :ear

Sat a.m. head to pioneertown without camping gear. :deal
  3. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. tahoeacr

tahoeacr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sent you a pm.
  5. NSFW

Oddometer:
    BIG BEAR RIDE:

rich, since you guys are riding you on friday, i suggest camp at crab flats. that's halfway between big bear and lake arrowhead. wait for us there and on our way to pioneer town.

SAWMILL NIGHT RIDE:

if you guys want to move it to 6:30 pm next friday that's good too.
  6. Ben99r1

Ben99r1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think my bike will be done by the big bear camp out. I need a bike, Who wants to loan me one? My valves and cylinder will go out next Tues. They should not be back till the 3rd week of September some time. Ben
  7. tex_downey

tex_downey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im in the same boat. ben, Im going to go to Sandiego to look at a bike tomorrow. even if if look ok i cant get it till early next week. who wants a free trip to San Diego next week? :lol3
  8. Ben99r1

Ben99r1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What kind of bike is it? Ben
  9. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Old Angry White Guy (OAWG)

Oddometer:
    I bet it is a F650 DAKAR. :evil
  10. NSFW

Oddometer:
    haski 610 @ $4k................:eek1

tex, i know the owner of this bike and he's gviing it away (almost).

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722862

[​IMG]
  11. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
  12. Earl999

Earl999 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Having owned a 610SM and an XR650L, I prefer my XRL.

I hated life when adjusting the valves on the 610, the spec is .002" intake & exhaust and there's way too much disassembly needed to get to the tappets. A sheet of paper is .003", so that gives you an idea what you need to do to get the .002" spot on 4 times with limited access space!

I didn't have any major issues with my 610SM, but it did take some work to get the suspension dialed in, the forks and shock didn't "move" much when I first bought it. I had to do a lot of tuning to get the "plush" feel that I prefer. Husky parts are available, but not many a/m parts, this was one of the reasons I sold my 610SM. The main reason was that I found my XRL could do what my Husky could, but not vice versa, and I don't care to own redundant capability bikes.

Overall, my XRL has been terrific! I have no compliants, a/m parts are plentiful, and I can adjust the valves in 30
    minutes!
  13. tex_downey

Oddometer:
    would love the husky, but the thig is when i get back to iowa i have no hills, or places to use it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawkeye_Point :puke1

yeah im on my way out now to look at that Daker. i dont think the price is to bad and it may be a nice bike. i just hope i make it.
  14. Ben99r1

Ben99r1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Am pretty happy with the L. I have added everything that I think it needs to make it rt for me. My only complain is the gap between 1st and 2nd gear. Ill fix that one day with a shorter 2nd gear.
  15. xymotic

xymotic Long timer

Oddometer:
    lol, they work pretty good on the street:deal

ANd it'll get you to the hills pdq.

And Earl, not sure it's really fair to compare capabilities of a sm to a xrl. the TE has more suspension, and when dialed in, the suspension (and every other part) is better than the honda's.

Also, what to you weigh? It is true that the 610's are made for a 210# 6'5" Swedish guy. Even at 185 I had to have the suspension worked on/resprung. The valves are kind of a PITA, but I've never had to move them.
  16. jamin_mathis

jamin_mathis Long timer

Oddometer:
    On the L, Lord knows I love XR's but the L is a 20 year old design.
    Down sides are....
    They all seem to burn oil I've been told this by more than one Honda tech but I heard that this is common with all air cooled big bores.
    That 1st-2nd gap Ben was talking about drives me up the wall on single track but then again this bike not really meant to be a woods bike.
    They run very hot when ridden slow on technical trails or traffic I find that by 1000 miles the oil is done so I change it.
    It's kind of a tight riding compartment for anyone tall enough to not tippy toe it but that's because it has more ground clearance/travel than most of the other bikes in its class but on days longer than 300 miles I find myself wishing I could stretch my legs a bit more.

If you got to own one bike and you don't have a ton of money to throw at a bike, it's a good bike but I'm not quite as in love with it as earl is.
  17. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    hell

Biggie should buy it as a back up,,,,his only has 25,000 miles....:lol3.....

XRL is a fine bike..but...not even in the same category as 610....Xymo has tried to kill his (and himself) and I think we all know the bike has come out of it better....:lol3
  18. M1Jeep

M1Jeep Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, Crab Flats is also a nice camp. FYYFF and I will setup camp there Friday night. We will wait for all the Saturday pp's to arrive, setup camp, then bone out to Pioneertown for lunch and beverages. :beer

Who's IN on this shindig? :ear

IN LIST:
    1. sito
    2. h8chains
    3. FYYFF
    4. M1Jeep
    5. ?

I'm out fellas, I wouldn't be able to be at the rendezvous spot in time. I will be working on bike prep for the Big Bear weekend ride. Have a fun and safe ride.

-Rich
  19. tex_downey

Oddometer:
    Im in, if i can get to San Diego this week end to pick up the bike.

but could someone who knows fill me in on the plans for the coming weeks. and what rides i need to get the ADV pass for.
  20. scorpion

scorpion Two arm bandit

Oddometer:
    Anyone thinking if riding the high dez Sunday conditions will be prime.
    Cool weather no dust :ricky