L. A. ADVenture Rides

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by NSFW, Mar 5, 2008.

1. the_captain

the_captain Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah that’s right over the hill from me. Do you guys work M - F? If so, maybe we could plan next Saturday or Sunday? I’m also free tomorrow
    dunerat and E-luke like this.
  2. E-luke

E-luke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I work from home for myself, but tomorrow is packed... I’d be down for next weekend?!

Will stay tuned.
    dunerat and the_captain like this.
  3. the_captain

the_captain Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok, I might be free Tuesday as well but let’s plan on next weekend. PS, I’m not afraid to drop the bike. I’ve crash bars and all that stuff and I pushed it pretty hard at Motoventures and dumped it a bunch of times, even over the handlebars twice. Not that I’m trying to kill myself but these bikes are made for it and I welcome the dirt, grime and scratches.
  4. E-luke

E-luke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Acceptance is the key;) good attitude! Let’s go have some fun! Next weekend sounds like the best — let’s see who else is in and organize accordingly!
    dunerat likes this.
  5. the_captain

the_captain Adventurer

Oddometer:
    One hitch, silly me, I forgot I have my daughter till 530 on Saturday so it will have to be Sunday.
  6. emmi

emmi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Battery died on the way down but pretty good stoke session with my boii @Davethestick at hungry valley svra. Been curious about checking out the trails going up to Frazier Mtn but never wanted to attempt it solo. Definitely a skill builder for sure.

7. BiggieFalls

BiggieFalls b00b

Oddometer:
    This is a good visual demonstration of what counter steering is about and some of the other physics happening when we ride. (Start at 19 minute mark.)
    Skootz Kabootz likes this.
  8. Skootz Kabootz

Skootz Kabootz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That entire lecture was fascinating!!
    BiggieFalls likes this.
  9. dunerat

dunerat WTF? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sunday could work for me as well.... I’ll keep an eye on this thread
  10. DannyG

DannyG I have the waypoint. Supporter

Oddometer:
    if i get my bike back by then, i'm in.
  11. the_captain

the_captain Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Goddamn it. I’m an idiot again. It’s Father’s Day next weekend. The following two weeks it’s vacation. I’m going to try and go to Hungry Valley sometime during the week though. Sorry for all the confusion. I really want to be part of the community and find a group to ride with.
    thecoldman likes this.
  12. Davethestick

Davethestick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With a 1200gs you're not going to find much riding that's very enjoyable out at Gorman in my opinion. Its alot of Sand and whoops unless you climb up into the hills. Can you pick up the 600lb bike on an off camber hill by yourself? If not you're probably staying at the lower elevations. If you can't pick up the bike by yourself, Hungry Valley is going to be pretty quiet during the weekdays and the chances of finding help may be a little slim.

What kind of riding are you looking to do, you haven't really mentioned it. @AZ TOM mentioned the high desert because there is a wide variety of riding from dry lakebeds to single track trails. If you're completely new to dirt, check out El Mirage lakebed which is an OHV area = park services will be around during the week if you need assistance. Its close, easy to get to and you can make a nice day trip out there through the San Gabriel mountains. As the name indicates, there is a 5+mile lake bed to play around on and some nice hills to climb when you boost your experience.
    There is also Soggy dry lake bed or Cuddyback lake bed outside of Kramer Junction. I don't believe there are any services at these locations though. Its starting to get hot out there so the high desert is looking less appealing.

There's also Rowher flats which you may be interested in as well. There are a couple of nice dirt fire roads and its well-trafficked during the week.
  13. dunerat

Oddometer:
    Fathers day......fathers “day” :nod

I kid.....plenty more days to ride but weather is going to turn... hot:knary
  14. dunerat

Oddometer:
    What happened to the new bike?
  15. DannyG

Oddometer:
    i don't know... parked the bike at gas station, couldn't start it again. bike has 91 miles, hopefully its not a lemon. i talked to KTM NA, according to them dealer deactivated transport mod. bike is going to the dealer tomorrow.
    the 75 miles i did get to ride was fun:lol3
  16. dunerat

Oddometer:
    Your good Danny it’s something simple.....
    DannyG likes this.
  17. DannyG

Oddometer:
    i do like the feeling on the bike, reminded me the 950SE. same light feeling with crazy HP.
    dunerat likes this.
  18. pandamanprod

pandamanprod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll heed the call - going to head out this coming weekend Sat or Sun OR BOTH! Just need to get my suspension installed - bike is resprung - I'm eager to see how much I love or hate it! Power in Numbers - up for anything!
    E-luke and breakdirt916 like this.
  19. pandamanprod

pandamanprod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Woah woah! Badass! Was that Tejon Trail by chance? Do you recall a GPS point where you started climbing? Also - are you on a Beta five hundy? Update - you are. I can read.
    Davethestick likes this.
  20. emmi

emmi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Uhh. going up was the Frazier Trail. Going down, the only trail designation was 121 until we found the Tejon trail and took that back to gorman to finish the loop. I gotta run through my videos again for confirmation. The only memory ingrained in my head was "we're about to scout a trail that said most difficult on it. its about to get exciting". LOL

I wish i read the manual for my bike but i'll try n pull the breadcrump tracks from my voyager.

*EDIT** just confirmed its 121
    Davethestick likes this.