L. A. ADVenture Rides

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by NSFW, Mar 5, 2008.

1. HandCanonShootr

HandCanonShootr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good tire choice Emmi. I'm always amazed how little gas my "Halfrica Twin" uses, Wilde (prev.owner) was only filling up every other time I gassed up my S10, while ride & camping together last year.
    And I can pick her up! Time for a skidplate, RR works well...

Mike B
  2. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    mike, come and join us this weekend in Pahrump.

where's wilde?
  3. HandCanonShootr

Oddometer:
    Wilde never bought another bike after selling me the Halfrica Twin, thought he had a line on a Big GS, but it fizzled, no more riding/camping buddy for me!

Pahrump is attractive, have applied for permission..:doh

Will be in touch, Great that you are back after an Excellent trip!
    Mike B
  4. HandCanonShootr

Oddometer:
    Sorry Joel, have a previous commitment gotta miss this time...

Mike B
  5. mikeysduck

mikeysduck Slow Ride to Nowhere

Oddometer:
    So. Cal. Norton Club ride, at Hansen Dam, this Sunday. All bikes invited. You can see some cool old stuff. The ride starts around 10AM. Good gawking starts around @ 8AM.
    NSFW and Honda-50 like this.
  6. emmi

emmi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Went up to cleghorn today. Feeling good. Bike felt good. Sending it up offshoot after offshoot. "What's the worst that can happen" right?

BLAMO! A rock that I mistook for a "baby head" turned out to be loose. Got seesawed by the front wheel and went straight into my oil pan.

20191103_134213.jpg

Before the "shoulda skidplated". The bike is still kinda fresh so the aftermarket companies haven't really offered anything readily available yet. I COULD have paid a premium and shipped one overseas but "what was the worse that could've happened"? Lol.

Consolation prize: look at this view where I broke down! Admired that for a bit while thinking of things to do to do.
    IMG_20191103_133313_428.jpg

Babied it off, topped off gas (and oil) at the gas station then made it to work with the slightest thoughts of my rear tire constantly getting coated with drops of oil.

20191103_153236.jpg

Here's that bad boy before prep. (Drained the oil, filed everything, sanded everything)
    20191103_171247.jpg

After the jb weld. Super ghetto but it's working! #goodtimes
    AZ TOM, advFord, villageidiot and 6 others like this.
  7. PukaWai

PukaWai Long timer

Oddometer:
    That'll buff right out...:D
    emmi likes this.
  8. HandCanonShootr

Oddometer:
    Been there, different bike, Twice.
    (and I don't mean that trail)

Mike B
  9. mikeysduck

Oddometer:
    Re The Norton club ride. Lots of people. So many cool bikes. These were some of the rare finds.
    IMG_1257.jpg IMG_1260.jpg IMG_1263.jpg IMG_1262.jpg
    AZ TOM, Honda-50, BrockEvan and 4 others like this.
  10. TemeculaTim

TemeculaTim Timiteo Viejo

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

:thumb...Man...if that bike could only talk. I bet its seen a lot of cool places :beer
  11. Honda-50

Honda-50 Vet Lurker

Oddometer:
    Where's Leno?
    Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 4.21.41 PM.png
    thecoldman and BrockEvan like this.
  12. NSFW

Oddometer:
    nice fix there emmi. yes, i carry JB weld all the time. on my G650X Country, i have half/liter of oil stashed in the tool box.
    emmi likes this.
  13. mikeysduck

Oddometer:
    IMG_1264.jpg
    Honda-50, AZ TOM, Pbro63 and 6 others like this.
  14. NSFW

Oddometer:
    nice.

always glad to see Leno and his love for the sports. he's garage is a few miles from my house. i see him on Glenoaks several times and never on the same vehicle.
  15. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    Hey L.A. Adventure Riders ...

Many of you here have ridden the famous LAB2V Dual Sport ride but many of you have likely only heard about it and thought, "one day, I'm doing that ride." If you've been on the fence or maybe thought you may not be up to 2 days of riding across the Mojave desert, this will be a great year to do it.

• This year's regular route is very Big Bike friendly and there will also be some ADVENTURE RIDER options in a couple of areas.
    • For you hard core guys, the HARD WAY routes offer some challenge to keep you standing on the pegs both days.

Just yesterday I rode the Day 1 route on my 950 along with another inmate on his 1190 and I can say any and all skill level riders will have a great ride this year.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/la-barstow-vegas-2019-registration-65075525649?ref=ebtn
  16. TBickell

TBickell And away we GO !!

Oddometer:
    I just dragged my 1200GS down to Arizona from Montana for some winter riding and was going to head over to the mountains of So Cal to visit some very familiar turns. Heading up to Running Springs and over to Wrightwood and was going to do about half of the Crest highway. I've checked Cal Trans and other than the usual "no big ass truck warning" there is nothing posted. Weather is on the warm side so that's good and no snow yet but wondering if there's anything to note on the east side of things. It's been two years since I've been up there and some of the pavement was getting a little hacked up. I see that Newcombs was having a Norton fest last weekend. I'll be there on Weds. 13th with two others. Then heading to Big Bear for the night. A little Joshua Treee NP on the way back. Please chime in if you know anything..
  17. NSFW

Oddometer:
    good call in doing the Crest on a weekday and it's 50+ miles of twisties. keep an eye on falling rocks and debris on the road. Caltrans normally sweep the highway in the morning from what i remember. make sure you gas up before heading up, though there's a gas station in Wrightwood. also a few good restaurants in town.

good chance you're familiar with Lone Pine Canyon, if not...https://goo.gl/maps/goraoHAGBHhnHEmY8

Newcomb's or not, there's plenty of high-speed sweeper west of it, all good fun.

if you still have time, Mt. Baldy and the Glendora Ridge Road, East Fork are great moto roads.

here's current road closures: https://dpw.lacounty.gov/roadclosures/

from Big Bear on your way to JT, have lunch at Pioneer Town.

https://goo.gl/maps/ePDJYBYQhoB1vk569

enjoy the SoCal riding and weather.
    TBickell likes this.
  18. BiggieFalls

BiggieFalls b00b

Oddometer:
    Came across this motivational video for all the current and past LC8 riders out there.
    slogger likes this.
  19. NSFW

Oddometer:
    i missed Oso Loco including little Wan. their Ride Reports are the best among the best.

the legacy of the LC8 would have gone farther but KTM killed it......:scratch
    slogger likes this.
  20. NSFW

Oddometer: