L. A. ADVenture Rides

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by NSFW, Mar 5, 2008.

1. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    200 watts, 15 amp mppt controller and 1 deep cycle battery. i also have the aux battery under the front hood which is a back up.

having a small fridge (1-3 amps draw) will allow me to keep frozen vegetables and fruits, juice, milk, eggs and meat for at least a week. plenty of available watts for other uses.

no trailer since towing is limited to 55 mph on most freeways. no one really paying attention to the speed limit.

most likely bumper since i already have a versahauler that i hardly use. which bike......xr400 or monkey, depends where i'm going.
    Davethestick and JAB like this.
  2. THRASHED

THRASHED In your helmet, no-one can hear you sing, I hope.

Oddometer:
    I live in San Dimas. I could find a spot for that time frame.
    daveagl and r0ckrat like this.
  3. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    The desert was open yesterday

[​IMG]
  4. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks to be perfect conditions.. well minus some fun rain puddles. Was going to attend the "Hook n Ladder" ride out there but they canceled the event... so I ended up tinkering with the Africa Twin. Just not the same.
  5. NSFW

Oddometer:
    anyone knows a good welder? normally, i go to Flyte Weld but doubtful if i can bring the bike inside the shop.

i need to add a 1/8 thick stiffener plate to reinforce the xr400 side stand and welded to the frame. i have a millermatic 185 but not very capable when it comes to welding thin wall (bike frame) and afraid i will leave a big hole instead...:rofl

come to my house or i can bring the bike to you. my welder is big and it will be difficult to transport it.

really appreciate finding someone who can help.
    DAVE94LIGHTNING likes this.
  6. HandCanonShootr

HandCanonShootr Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know a great welder, but he is in Venice CA, kinda far for you but PM/text/call, I'll check he is open later this am.
    Another good welder / fabricator in Bell Gardens as well, and you can practice your Spanish with this guy!

Mike B
    NSFW likes this.
  7. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Find a local exhaust shop.

I have all my stuff welded at the muffler shop, he does mig and tig, and is excellent. I tack weld it all in place. Then take it over and have him run the welds
    mikeysduck and NSFW like this.
  8. NSFW

Oddometer:
    mike, thanks. i will try the local muffler shop

morser muffler here in burbank. i had good experiences with them but never crossed my mind until you chimed in. they do an excellent welding job and lots of 5 stars. thanks Colby.

upload_2020-10-27_14-34-59.png
    AZ TOM and villageidiot like this.
  9. S H I F T Y

S H I F T Y Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Joel, I have known the folks at Morse and been a customer for 20+ years. They are great folk and should be able to help you out. Tim is the Owner, Tom is closer to my age... and rides. Or at least he used to. Great guys either way.
    NSFW likes this.
  10. Dirt survivor

Dirt survivor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If your ever in Rosamond look up the Weld shop, great welder and knows motorcycles and off road vehicles.
    NSFW likes this.
  11. DAVE94LIGHTNING

DAVE94LIGHTNING Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2BBA3CA9-59DE-4848-8877-ED37ABFD6C4D.jpg

Where are you located? I’m in the SFV but work weekdays in Burbank. You’ve helped me out before. I can TIG or MIG whatever you need. You can see some of my fabrication stuff on my Instagram @reddogs_fabrication let me know if I can help
  12. NSFW

Oddometer:
    damn.....:bow

i'll start cutting and shape the 1/8" stiffener plates next week.

once done, will let you know a few days in advance. i'm near N. Buena Vista and Glenoaks.

thanks.
    villageidiot and DAVE94LIGHTNING like this.
  13. NSFW

Oddometer:
    damn.....:bow

i'll start cutting and shape the 1/8" stiffener plates next week.

will let you know a few days in advance. i'm near N. Buena Vista and Glenoaks.

thanks.
    villageidiot likes this.
  14. salva_trucha

salva_trucha n00b

Oddometer:
    It Veteran's Day tomorrow and I have the day off! I'm planning on a long ride starting from LA. Thinking either heading to SB to ride East Camino Cielo. If anyone wants to join or have a different route, let me know!
  15. daveagl

daveagl living on borrowed time

Oddometer:
    Thank you and everybody, found a childhood friend that had moved to SD 25 years ago and I had no idea.

life in Mexico is good...

Attached Files:

AZ TOM likes this.
  16. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    Not nearly as exciting of some of the recent posts, but I got some new kit I was keen to try out and headed up to the Sespe Condor Refuge outside of Filmore. I didn't take a lot of pictures, but had a good time nonetheless. The gate that lets you up the last bit of road was open (wasn't earlier this year) so I got to see some new stuff - there are some good longer straights in that part so yo can open it up a little more without fear of plowing into a Jeep. It was pleasantly quiet up at the top... until the insects moved in, so I got moving again. On the way down I tried every side road I could find without a closed gate, but all of them were just small parking lots tucked off the main road. One had an outlet that looked promising, but it dead-ended pretty quick.

Lost track of time and rode home in the dark. The road isn't anything special and gets a decent amount of traffic on the weekends, so you can't really hammer it, but there's nice views to be found. It's the closest dirt I'm aware of to me in T.O., so it's an easy choice when I've only got a couple of hours.

IMG_20201116_110421_891.jpg IMG_20201116_110421_889.jpg Screenshot_20201116-141619_Locus Map.jpg
  17. NSFW

Oddometer:
    nice one Mark. wow, no locked gates!

haven't been to Sespe and hopefully this year.

i like the tail bag set up, and the Enduristan. having the tank bag is convenient but it's taking the space where i should be. thanks to @MrEndo for the tip.
    AllSeasonRider likes this.
  18. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    @NSFW I got the tail bag idea from @GalacticGS - the Enduristan bag is pretty nice and fits on the Perun rack perfectly!
    HandCanonShootr and NSFW like this.
  19. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    Welp, pulled the trigger and just registered for @J Lewis Jimmy Lewis's class Dec 5-6 - Time to break some bad habits!

Anyone else in here going? Gonna rent something a bit lighter than the 690.
  20. NSFW

Oddometer:
    best holiday gift ever!

+ 1 in renting or ....... a smaller bike.

last time (Pahrump Rally) i spoke with Jimmy, he emphasized (again) that he prefers students to show up on small bikes.

Mark, not too late and there are still a lot of 2020s at the dealers. what's so difficult keeping another bike in the stable.
    AllSeasonRider and SlowerThanYou like this.