L. A. ADVenture Rides

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by NSFW, Mar 5, 2008.

1. HBSURFDAD

HBSURFDAD Oops, Sorry Supporter

Oddometer:
    @AllSeasonRider

"The Jimmy" has a ton of rental bikes as well, you can ride a 2 stroke 1 day and a 250 enduro on another. A girl who took the class when I did had a different bike for every session. She ended up getting a 350 exc a few weeks after the class. Great class (my first ride on my 701, literally). I want to go again now that I understand what he was talking about.
    breakdirt916, AllSeasonRider and NSFW like this.
  2. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    I hear it's all balance ...

funny story, yesterday was resetting the sag on my 500 after getting some suspension work done. While setting the "race sag" wondered how long I could balance on the pegs. I was able to get to 28 alligators before :muutt
  3. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    I'd love a 350 or 500, but the money isn't the hard part - I'm too far from any place to really use, and I don't have a truck to haul it there. Starts getting really expensive!

If you show up I'm gonna make you sign a "No Shit Flinging (literally)" waiver.

Did it go something like,
    "Alligator.
    Alligator.
    Alligator.
    Alligator.
    Alligator.
    Alligator.
    Alligator.
    Alligator.
    Alligator.
    Alligator.
    Alligator.
    Alligator.
    Alligator.
    Alligator.
    Alligator.
    Alligator.
    Alligator.
    Alligator.
    Alligator.
    Alligator.
    Alligatoralligatalligatalligalligalligallallahhh!!!"
  4. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    Class done!

First off, it's just a good time. I knew they fed you lunch, but wasn't expecting dinner Saturday night as well with a bonfire. And hell, you're spending two days riding around the desert with a bunch of good people. Caught an INCREDIBLE sunset on the playa Sunday evening - the clouds just came in perfect to set the sky on fire.

The class is a mixture of lectures, instruction, debate, drills, and demos. Thrown in was a little of Jimmy showing off and some friendly competition between him and some of the more talented riders, which was fun to see. There's a certain 'play it by ear' vibe through much of the class - sometimes in the moment it can feel a little annoying, but on review you're listening to some very talented riders and so it's all worth hearing and seeing. The nice part is the curriculum gets tailored to the class a bit - I had mentioned having a hard time through rocks and boulders Saturday night, and Sunday we did a little drill through some which Heather told me was due to my comments, so that was really nice.

I ended up on a 350 EXC, and immediately noted just how similar it felt to my 690 in many ways - this was first dirt bike I had ridden since I was about 14 years old (and I did't ride that much, then). But... the shorter gearing, lighter weight, and tons more traction from real dirt tires aired down made a noticeable difference. Really gave me confidence to try some things I might not have on my own bike. I was surprised how well I did with the balance drills on the first day - I had been practicing some on my own before the class and was getting frustrated with how poorly I was doing, but something just clicked that morning. A lot of the information wasn't new for me having seen Jimmy's demos at n00bs and Pahrump a few times, but being able to really practice the techniques and be critiqued in real time was super helpful. I got much more comfortable with turns, using my arms less and my feet more (though there's plenty of work to still do), got much more comfortable in sand and rocks, and more confident that I can get myself going again if I get stuck in a weird situation.

I don't follow much racing, but Andrew Short was there with his Factory Yamaha 450 rally bike. He did a few drills with us on the lakebed. He also did a few laps with us on the sand circuit - watching him throw that big thing around in there was really something to see up close.

I asked one of the helpers what he thought about me taking the class again on my 690, and he thought it taking it again on a small bike would way more beneficial. I think I can see where he's coming from.

Anyway, highly recommended and can't wait to try putting this stuff into practice.

Also, now I want an EXC... don't tell my wife.
    r0ckrat, cal08, jalapoj and 13 others like this.
  5. aanichols

aanichols Racer at heart

Oddometer:
    Xmas is coming....get your wife a 350.......let us know how that works out :nomystery
  6. HBSURFDAD

Oddometer:

Stoked for you, The Jimmy and his crew are a great bunch of people. Andrew Short was a nice bonus!

350's don't take up much space, and think of the money you will save on dirt tires over ADV tires, it will practically pay for itself!
    NSFW and AllSeasonRider like this.
  7. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    The problem is my wife and I share a single car, and I live far enough away from any dirt riding that I'd need a way to haul a 350/500 there... so buying a dirt bike means buying a truck... and that starts getting expensive!

I really wish someone just made a slick 2-speed rear hub for my 690, or it came with a 7 speed transmission or something. I know I can put whatever gearing I want on the 690, but I still generally have to ride it from here to there and I don't want it screaming down the freeway for hours at 7 grand haha
  8. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    swapping a countershaft sprocket is all of 10 mins. and minimal chain adjustment.
    jalapoj, atpalmer and AllSeasonRider like this.
  9. HBSURFDAD

Oddometer:
    @AllSeasonRider, that is what we were talking about in Pahrump. I swap between a 14 and a 16 front, as Todd says, about a 10 min swap. Or, if your car has a hitch mount option with a 500lb tongue rating use a hitch rack. A cheap alternative for hauling a smaller bike. We can solve this additional bike option for you.....................................
    AllSeasonRider likes this.
  10. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:

the best advice ever heard for a long time.....:D

and don't be cheap Mark, get the 2021 model

congrats Mark on taking the class......$$ well spent....:y0!

how much is the JL class now? $800 is my guess.

nice to have a small bike for learning and riding mostly dirt. now that you have learned the fundamentals, you can apply most of them on the 690.
    AllSeasonRider and breakdirt916 like this.
  11. breakdirt916

breakdirt916 CA PLATED 94 YZ250 2-STROKE

Oddometer:
    dang I need that class...planning it next year

agreed, JL training applied to the 690, geared for 13/15 front sprocket swap

it's a hassle, but $160/day if you're itchy for a stock 350 training day...30 mins ride to Rowher from Santa Clarita on Sierra Highway.
  12. isaac004

isaac004 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just need this @AllSeasonRider. Fits in the trunk of a Neon. From my first trip to noobs in 2010 :)
    F5BDEF92-51EA-4C85-8B99-0C8104F0E0BF.jpeg
  13. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    I still remember shaking my head in disbelief the fist time I saw your "trailer in a bag"

Hope all is well with you Mr. West, been too long.
  14. isaac004

isaac004 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will say I’ve towed a range from a light CR250 to a pig of a R1100GS (close to 600 lbs) at 80mph and it’s rock solid, no stability issues whatsoever.

Indeed Todd, been a while! Life has me busy with a 2 yr old and another one due next month!!!! Gotta start saving for some little electric bikes!
  15. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    good for you, congrats. my wife isn't happy about the investment I made for my grandson ... she kind of has a point in that he's only 8 months old.
    [​IMG]
  16. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    I remember talking about swapping the front, but always assumed it was an 'at home' job based on the process for my big street bikes. For context, there's nothing special about how to do it on my Ducati, but that nut is at like 140 ft lbs, so you need some special tools to get that kind of leverage and prevent the rear wheel from turning. I just looked up the spec for a 690 - 60 ft lbs. You can almost do that with your fingers! Would be easy to do at the campsite.

It looks like a 16/49 is about the same as the stock 15/46. If I drop to a 14T front that gives me some better slow speed for sure. A 52T rear is obviously better still and only looks to give up about 300 RPM on the freeway, so that could still work.

Yup, $800, plus $300 for the rental. And get this... my work chips in $500 a year for stuff like this!

Ah, thanks for that!

I was thinking something more like this:
    [​IMG]

That's a 690 towing an E-XC!
    boyfester, AZ TOM and breakdirt916 like this.
  17. isaac004

isaac004 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice! I’m building a good foundation...at 2, I have to run to keep up with him on his strider bike!
    The original TIAB that I have in my photo isn’t made anymore, but this looks similar to a few current reincarnations of it. Solid!
  18. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:
    Nova racing wide ratio gearbox :lol3
    But there’s no saving from burning up the knobbies on the highway...
  19. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    The reality is I'm happy 98% of the time with the stock ratio, so swapping to a smaller CS sprocket would probably only be needed a handful of times a year - Pahrump, n00bs, maybe a couple others depending on the route and group I'm with.

The PO put a D.I.D. VT2 chain with a clip master on my 690 right before I bought it, and I've put 6k miles or so on it... needless to say, it's under-chained (VT2 is only rated for 500cc, and clip masters are only appropriate for field repairs, in my mind). About to pull the trigger on a new VX3 chain, 14 and 16 CS sprockets, and I think a 49 or 50 rear sprocket. 49 gives me the stock ratio, and a 50 only increases the freeway revs by ~100 rpm.

@HBSURFDAD - What rear are you running? Was it a 52?
  20. HBSURFDAD

Oddometer:
    I am running a 51 with a 14 and a 16. With the tall gears you like I would just math out your current ADV set up to work with a 16 (add 3 to the back), and then run the 14 when you need it. Lab2v got a little buzzy with the 14 but I was really glad I had it day 2, lots of time in the middle gears in a good rpm range. Maybe a 49 for your rear (only odd rear cogs, old superstition). 16/49 is roughly 1 tooth “slower” than stock, but gives you pretty good enduro gearing with a 14. 16/51 is all day Adv riding including freeway.

As reference I spent the first 18 months at 15/51 and was happy almost everywhere, the 14/16 choices just make the ends of the spectrum much better.

Pretty easy to swap, the nut size is the same as the rear axel.