L.A. Area eMTB rides

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Todd157k, May 7, 2020.

1. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Even though ADVrider is motorcycles, Adventure riding can be pedal-assisted too.

Now that several people on here have emtb's, thought we could get together for a few rides.
  2. Todd157k

Oddometer:
    I'm picking up a Haibike this weekend. Going full suspension and sending my hard-tail to my son-in-law. Let me know when you guys have time and we'll set something up. Also, @Bravo Zulu is into emtb and he's out by you @rider914. I guess his bike got mushed last week but he'll be back up to riding very soon.
  3. Shodan2

Shodan2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm down for bicycle rides in general. In fact I spend more time on my bicycle than on the KTM in the profile pic.
    Good for exploring areas off the beaten path as well and can certainly access areas unaccessable by a road car!

It's not a e-bike, but a regular road-cyclocross one I've outfitted for light touring (day trips), and have the gear for "heavy" (overnight/camping) touring as well, although I don't enjoy hauling all that on a bicycle.
  4. rider914

rider914 Agnostic Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats Todd :clap ... and thanks for starting this thread :thumb

Add @pvt joker to the list :nod

I am a hack mtn biker, no idea what i'm doing, goofy gear, and probly lots of bad technique :baby
    ... but the emtb sure is fun and gets me out pedaling more instead of sitting on the couch cuz climbing kicks my ass :pep

Got my sites on doing upper SART (if open?) from South Fork to Angelus Oaks in near future, hopefully before too hot and dry.

-M
  5. Todd157k

Oddometer:
    I'm right there with ya Matt. John asked me "what bike did ya get?".

I told him "the kind for pussies with big aspirations".

Riding with friends is riding with friends. (and you'll impress the chit out of us when you're at the top of the hill before us) :lol2

This was exactly 1 year ago with John at Santa's Village Sky Park. Had a BLAST!!
    Like all my videos.. they're looong and laborious so skip through or be prepared for a nap.

breakdirt916 and NSFW like this.
  6. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    Haibike, I’m jealous. Going to hopefully look at a Trek Powerfly 5 tomorrow.
    NSFW likes this.
  7. Todd157k

Oddometer:
    Nice bike Sue but in that price range, you can easily get full suspension. All you'll need is one mild trail and you'll have second thoughts about a hard tail.
    Almost all the full suspension bikes have 'lockouts' on the shocks for street riding or climbing.
    breakdirt916 likes this.
  8. Todd157k

Oddometer:
    BTW... all peeps.. I'm sure everyone is familiar with the battles of ebikes on bicycle trails and in National parks. If you could just take a min and jot down a few words to support the ebike usuage in National Parks it would greatly help the community. I drew a parallel to restricting electric wheelchairs too.

ya, so I've never been really eloquent in speech writing.

https://www.regulations.gov/searchResults?rpp=25&po=0&s=1024-AE61&fp=true&ns=true

I had to "attach" a file before it would go through so I made a PDF of my statement and attached it.

and if you feel like a real activist... (copied from an ebike forum)

if you want to be able to ride an Ebike on public lands in the U.S., please write or post a comment to be heard within the next month! Four major regulations have been proposed which, as written, would give the authority to ban Ebikes on federal lands to local officials with management responsibilities. State and local rules tend to follow the federal rules. In federal regulations, the number of comments posted on any issue really matters! There are already many comments posted by opponents of Ebikes, so it is important for this community to speak up, be heard, and to spread the word. US Dept of the Interior Secretary Order 3376 ( https://on.doi.gov/3c7dS5j ) was intended to provide rules to advance Ebike access to public lands. Unfortunately the regulatory language that has been proposed allows continued discrimination against Ebikes, and once these regulations are final they will be very difficult to change. My own view is that wherever other bicycles are allowed, Ebikes should be allowed too. But that is not what the proposed rules say. The four agencies that need to hear from you are the National Park Service ( https://www.regulations.gov/document...2020-0001-0001 ) , the Bureau of Land Management ( https://www.regulations.gov/document...2020-0001-0001 ) , the Bureau of Reclamation ( https://www.regulations.gov/document...2020-0001-0001 ) , and the Fish and Wildlife Service ( https://www.regulations.gov/document...2019-0109-0001 ). Commenting is easy -- go use the links here, and be heard today!
  9. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    The 2019 hard tails are marked down right now to almost affordable. My one and only mountain bike years ago was a hard tail, I don’t think they even had full suspension then :lol3. Anything other bikes worth looking at?
  10. Todd157k

Oddometer:
    You may find the "affordable" bikes are completely sold out right now. It's been crazy since the shut down. EVERYONE is out getting bikes (along with at-home gym equipment and flowbee hair cutting system). Look at some of the 2019 mid drive models. Haibike, Specialized, and Giant (John might be able to get a little price break on Giant) are all good bikes. I'm NO expert on ebikes but PLEASE stay away from the Chinese junk on ebay/craigslist.
  11. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    Definitely no junk, I’m only looking at brands I’m familiar with that are sold relatively close to here for warrant/repair issues. We have a Jax Bikes store in town and the carry Trek so that’s where I’m starting (except I have to drive to San Clemente tomorrow to test ride a 2019, the 2018 was sold).
  12. Shodan2

Shodan2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In fact, I wasn't... Didn't think e-bike useage was prohibited there. Personally I'm not affected but... to prohibit e-bikes on trails in a forest is so... un-libertarian :-(
    Maybe the authorities ara afraid that where they allow e-bikes, then electric motorcycles follow suit, and before long - the trails are owned by 100kw e-ATVs rolling out of Tesla Cybertrucks :-D
    Todd157k likes this.
  13. rider914

rider914 Agnostic Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got mine from https://ebikecyclery.com/ in San Dimas on a blck friday sale last year. OTD was less than 50% of MSRP.
    They are a small shop, but Hector (?) was very nice to deal with. He has some leftover deals on their website and CL now. Might be limited to size and stock on hand. Might have deals not listed. Call to find out.

I think this was the initial reaction, but also think it must change over time. I can see where an e-moto (like my dad's Sur-Ron) would not mix well with mtbs on an mtb trail, but I don't see a conflict (other than maybe egos) between mtb and emtbs. Of course, a hard-core pedal pusher would probably see no conflict between ATVs/UTVs on a single-track moto trail :dunno

I think a couple years ago the trail network around Big Bear said no emtbs. Anybody know currrent status?

There is a small network of trails above Wrightwood (not including PCT) that I always thought were hiking only, but it seems they are used and maintained by local mtb and emtb riders.

-M
  14. Todd157k

Oddometer:
    That's why they have classifications on ebikes. So they don't get in the "small electric motorcycle" group. Class 1 bikes are limited to 20mph. It's not that tough to pedal a regular bike to 20mph. Of course, like any other sport, you only need a few dipchits to "chip" the motor and do 40mph down the trail into grandma.

Just got a call from Fly Rides in San Diego, the bike shop getting me my new bike.. not going to be there til next week. THEN, they called back and said I can pick it up tomorrow. Turns out they do have one but for another customer. The other customer said they can wait til next week for the bike and I can have theirs. Saweeeet. I'll have to get that other customer a bottle of wine or something.
    Little Bike and Shodan2 like this.
  15. headstaller

headstaller Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Subscribed.
    My Giant Explore E+ is no way suited ...

@browneye is strictly on bicycle now.
    Todd157k likes this.
  16. Todd157k

Oddometer:
    I see a LOT of beer on these upcoming rides. Who's going to be holding them while we "got this"????

I guess I'll volunteer. :y0!
  17. aanichols

aanichols Racer at heart

Oddometer:
    You guys are peeking my interest now. Looks like they have a few options. Which Haibike should I look at?

Todd, which one are you getting.
  18. pvt joker

pvt joker Latebird

Oddometer:
    Could be describing me.

A great way to celebrate my bikes' Bday

IMG_6757.JPG
    headstaller and villageidiot like this.
  19. Todd157k

Oddometer:
    I'm getting the FullSeven 9.0. It's pretty much identical to the AllMtn with 10mm less suspension (150mm vs 160mm). The AllMtn is a step up from mine, and then the Xduro with 180mm suspension and yami 80nm motor is the next step from there. The Downhill has 200mm suspension however it's more suited for.. downhill. From what I've read on it, it's not great going uphill or trail riding.

I really stretched my budget for this bike. I just couldn't wrap my head around paying more for an ebike than I did for my KTM 300
    villageidiot and pvt joker like this.
  20. Todd157k

Oddometer:
    That's sweet!!!
    villageidiot likes this.