L.A. Barstow to Vegas 2010

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by RAZR, Sep 5, 2010.

1. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    You read my mind...
    [​IMG]

That's right, I was the unfortunate Hard Luck winner this year...
    Here was the slight dip I hit while passing somebody on the left in the dust. The only bump in this road for 4 miles... but... speed kills baby...

[​IMG]
    I'm lucky to not have crashed or been seriously hurt..
    More later, night... You can see my bike way down the road 100 yards on the left, that's how far it went as the tire melted into the fender before it stopped!
  2. dad2bike

dad2bike Retired! Cranky Old Fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    At 29.9 MPH it takes a long time to stop something that big. :eek1

We came by as you were walking back to see what you hit. Now I understand that dazed look on your face.
    Funny how all the BMW reps where nowhere to be found at the banquet. :lol3

I wish you luck with getting all that resolved. Really glad you didn't become a statistic. Had that happened on pavement you would have been picked up with a shovel. :huh
  3. GalacticGS

GalacticGS Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had a fantastic ride! Everyone needs to experience that ride through Red Rock at the end of Day 2. It's the highlight of the ride, although it's all good. Surprised this ride doesn't attract even more inmates than it does. As RAZR says, it's up there for the ride of the year.

Definitely sorry to hear about Rhinoeater...That just sucks!

And bad luck for TBarstow and Snooker. Snooker drove out from Colorado for this ride - bummer. But he's gota plaque and a story from the event.

I'll post the few pics I took over the next day or so...

It was great to see some of the inmates again. Hopefully meet up with you in DV if not sooner...
  4. BootDragger

BootDragger Motorcycles are the perfect antidote!

Oddometer:
    Wow.... Lots of carnage this year. Hopefully most of it is to the bikes. :deal
  5. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:

hi larry, you did it!....congrats, same with all the participants..:clap

sorry to hear billy's accident and other's carnage.
  6. snooker

Oddometer:
    Amen to that brother! I feel like a lucky man (I've getting back into this sport and starting to accumulate all the cool safety gear they have now - won't be putting off buying a pressure suit any more! :eek1

Funny thing is that it was the most straight and stable stoppage you could imagine! I never touched the ground and no head shake. I think the speed (and of course bike weight and 19/17 wheels) actually helped stabilize the stopping, and even on the street it would have done the same thing if in a straight line, except more quickly due to better traction. My knobbies melted the inner fender plastic and threw molten rubber all over.

I feel very lucky to not have been SERIOUSLY hurt and yeah the plaque is cool :freaky . Next time I'll understand what a "Dual Sport" ride means here in D37 and bring my XR400 :lol3

Thanks Larry for being a great ride buddy and thanks TBarstow for coming to pick me up and provide my Negra Modelo attitude adjustment! Here's a funny picture... They said there were only 10 BMW's and I think only 2 G650X bikes and they both BROKE! (Tim's XChallenge and my low rider XCountry:)

[​IMG]

I've got a local Nevada former BMW racer helping me work with BMW as it is an 07 and 3 months out of warranty. At LEAST 20 intelligent riders feel this should not happen period and it is a scary thing and no major company could afford to ignore something like this. I don't pound on this bike, and it's only been on serious off road journeys about 10 days in its life!
  7. GalacticGS

GalacticGS Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:

Too bad you missed it this year Joel. You could have applied those Jimmy Lewis techniques in a practical riding situation. Hopefully you make it next year. See you sometime in the near future...
  8. snooker

Oddometer:
    Anybody have this info? I'm staying today in Vegas and want to stop by if he is in Vegas? Where is he? I might call Paul Flanders or ??
  9. airborndad

airborndad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Copied from L.A. Weekend ride thread:

Wheres Billy??

<HR style="COLOR: #575757" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Hey guys,

I waited , on the ground with what I thought was a few broken ribs, i just could not move.........So I activated 911 on my spot and waited, no sweep crew, and no response for 3 long agonizing ff hours......So I musstered every bit of addreniline to get to the hyway. 20 miles dirt and 20 miles to Baker

Long story short rupterd spleen, ruputerd liver and 2 broken ribs.

F..k spot !!!!

Im in Vegas at University Medical Center that specialize in trama cases

Minimum 3 days in here, But the memories will be PRICELESS!!!

And did I say F..K spot

Rhinoeater
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
  10. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
    driving home now.
    almost at Palmdale to pick up my van then drive to L.A.

previous years have seen more injuries, but this year was up there too.

we stopped to talk to a guy that broke his ankle on Day 1 at around 4:00. sun sets around 4:30 in the hills.:huh
    his buddy was going to get their truck.
    we saw him the next morning eating breakfast.:thumb he was "okay".

end of Day 2, two riders collided head on on a pavement section. :dunno

saw a guy in a leg brace at the banquet.

I haven't heard of anybody else.

I'll post up pics later and videos in the not-so-near future (I filled a 32GB card :whoa)
  11. Earl999

Earl999 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First of all congrats for not getting hurt, that's THE most important thing!

I had an engine rebuild paid for by the mfger even after it was out of warranty by 3 months! I had a main crank journal bearing go out on me and I took the bike to the dealer and called the mfger's number and requested a tech advisor to show up.

I downloaded the NTHSA forms for a formal complaint and filled it out in advance of my chat with the tech rep. I explained to him that I did not abuse the bike, wore the engine in properly, and that the tear results would validate my claim. I also explained to him that I was going to file the NTHSA forms, as I viewed the failure as an extreme safety issue and did not want any other riders to experience what I did!

The tech rep asked that I hold off on the forms and let him assess the failure. He called me after the tear down and agreed that the top end showed no signs of abuse and that the failure was due to poor workmanship and that Kawi would pay for the fix!

Mfgers hate recalls and will usually fix your bike to avoid any unnecessary bad press. If BMW refuses to fix your bike, there's always media consumer advocates like 7 On Your Side, etc. Big companies HATE negative press, believe me!

Good luck with your bike!
  12. snooker

Oddometer:
    I just called Univ. Med. Ctr. in Vegas:
    1800 W Charleston Blvd, Las Vegas, NV<nobr> (702) 383-2000</nobr><nobr>

Rhino's room does not have a phone in it but they are working on it. He is in the Trauma center still.
    I don't think I should post his last name as I don't know him personally but he is under William for first name.

I'm going over there as I am the guy who should be in the Hospital as well, pay my respects as I'm staying in Vegas today.

-matt
    </nobr>
  13. snooker

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the posts guys. I really want to see Tim's LOOP video, RAZR! :eek1

Last night at the podium I meant to ask exactly WHO I was passing on the left side in the massive dust right when I hit that dip. I was 1 wheel ahead of him then just slowly faded back, he looked back but had no clue anything was wrong. Just wondered who it was so I could talk to him... If it is YOU, just PM me, no worries!

My kid (ok 30 years ago) used to use the sole of his shoe to stop his BMX bike with no rear brake - just jam it in there against the tire - well that's why it was such a slow stop, kinda reminds me of mine - you should see the inner plastic fender... and that was a NEW D606!
  14. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Home finally. Dropped off Spafixr in Camarillo and back here in the OC. Lotsa bikes at Cook's today.

Just watched my looping video. Now I know why my big ass skid plate is a little dented on the right side. Still not looking forward to sorting out the shift shaft mess.

Waiting on youtube.
  15. RAZR

Oddometer:
    ditto

and

ditto
  16. RAZR

Oddometer:
    Tim, i totally forgot to get video or pics of the broken shifter shaft:huh

i needed THAT to END the video.

oh well, you'll like what i threw together.:deal

:thumb
  17. RAZR

Oddometer:
    <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/l6fY3U9LEfM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/l6fY3U9LEfM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
  18. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:

That was some good video. Especially my remount and reverse ride down the hill. I will one-up you with my raw clip of looping it from my perspective.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="1280" height="750" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8tG8-CWcaEQ?hd=1" frameborder="0"></iframe>

I need to grab a still of my bike catching some air.
  19. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    dammmmmn, that was crazy! glad you're ok tim.

that was really unexpected and strange...:eek1
  20. JeffS77

JeffS77 cheap bastard

Oddometer:
    great videos....never a good feeling when you see your bike airborn coming back at ya :eek1