1. Livestream NOW at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

L.A. Barstow to Vegas 2010

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by RAZR, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Luv2putt

Luv2putt RETIRED!!

Oddometer:
    RAZR, you're in the wrong business. You should be a cameraman in Hollywood! Don't miss your calling! Your video's KICK A$$:thumb
  2. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    Just got back. 891 miles for the long weekend.

I'm beat. The brokeback beemer did well.
  3. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    My internet connection here at home is down. Just did some video from the sand wash on Day 1.

Joel & Duy will need adult supervision and a signed release waiver prior to viewing.
  4. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
  5. tbarstow

Oddometer:
    Back up!

Joel & Duy - send me your waivers before watching this.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="1280" height="750" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WdSTBbgVqWE?hd=1" frameborder="0"></iframe>
  6. tbarstow

Oddometer:
    Day 1, out near El Mirage.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="1280" height="750" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZbYxaLancEM?hd=1" frameborder="0"></iframe>
  7. SUMTROUBLE

SUMTROUBLE Adventurer

Oddometer:

Razor I must have been right behind you.. Was it the guy on the KTM? (odd place to fall)

I talked to one of his buddies near the fence line after coming out of the hills.. He must have sat there well into the night.. BBUURRR!!!

Can anyone tell me what was said on those two plaques on the top of the mountain? i went buy so fast and the trail was a lil thin to turn around LOL
  8. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    Umm... RHINOEATER, fer chrissake!
  9. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    Ok I went to see Billy at Univ. Med. Ctr in Vegas. About 3 o'clock today. I figured I'd just stop by... 'cuz like I said it could have been me in the hospital after my swingarm broke.

Anyhow I was surprised since his wife was there but not a single other dirt biker had stopped by, of course we all realize everybody headed back early to beat the traffic, I was just expecting a quick hello since I didn't even know him. Anyhow Billy is in rough shape physically (but his head is ok) and was in dire need of info, he really wanted to go to the dinner, of course there was no way. He was so happy to see me, I showed him my Hard Luck plaque as I thought he was getting one too for medical issues (right? I didn't really listen last night).

The thing is he wants desperately to get the facts straight on what really happened so I told him I would try to post what he told me:

His KTM quit running and he stopped to work on it. He was over on the Hard section before Baker, about half way across it, at the point farthest away from the freeway. He had his carb completely off the bike as the 2 cables were detached or somehow not moving the slide at all and the bike would not run. I think some buddies were with him but then decided to go ahead. The sweep came by and waited, he got it fixed finally and the sweep told him to go ahead and they waited awhile.

So now he's making the fatal decision (just like I did) to push it and go faster to catch his buddies. He was in a sand wash and looked down just a sec to see his GPS when he went down a small embankment and crashed hard - he showed me his trashed Garmin 76, broken screen etc. At this point he is laying there in great pain in his gut and broken ribs, and cannot get up but is laying on the ground. Then he hears the sweep go by and of course he could not be seen or heard from where he is.

So he makes himself get up and (e-start broken) finally kicks it over somehow, running on adrenaline. He decided to zigzag on other roads to go straight to I-15, but he has to put his feet on the ground and barely move.

<Added this section later 12/6/10 for clarity: He goes a short ways and collapses and lays there 2 1/2 hours, during which he says he reluctantly pushed SPOT 911 after awhile, which the full set of log data shows first occurred at 10:56 am. After this time the BLM person appears. So the next section should be updated with this information.>
    At this point he thinks he is gonna die (his words), his is bleeding internally but doesn't know it, just feels like something is seriously wrong. Now at some point a BLM ranger comes by in a vehicle. This I believe is just AFTER he finally decided to activate his SPOT 911. That is why he is 4 miles off the course, he felt like nobody is coming to save him so he is trying to move. The BLM guy said he was not allowed to take him in his vehicle despite Billy's pleads. So I'm not sure but I'm thinking the BLM guy contacted the D37 people but did not have coordinates.

So Billy follows the BLM guy (who has NO GPS !?), zig-zagging to find a way to cross the RR tracks with the steep embankment as Billy can barely move the bike at all. Now his Spot indicates he is moving - Not sure what that triggers.

Ok so they get to I-15 and he leaves the BLM guy and STARTS DRIVING DOWN THE FREEWAY, ABOUT TO PASS OUT LITERALLY :eek1. Weaving in and out of traffic and makes it to Baker checkpoint.

Meanwhile, all they knew about Spot is that his wife is driving from Barstow and gets a call from the Sheriff who says he was contacted by Spot and that they are sending in a chopper (but not from Vegas, from the other direction). No such chopper was seen. They assume the Sheriff was told the GPS location, and informed others of the situation to be rescued, but they don't know what fell through.

Ok back to Baker. SO he literally about falls off his bike and how do you think he got to Vegas? Air lift? Ambulance? NO, his wife DROVE him! I don't know how this happened but doesn't sound like there was much communication from BLM to Medical responders in the area (or to the D37 team??).

They get to the nearest Vegas hospital and were told he is in too critical condition so an ambulance took him to Univ. Med. Ctr. to the Trauma unit.

He has a ruptured spleen and a ruptured liver and 2 broken ribs. I stayed with him a couple of hours and as of 5pm he is waiting and hoping the bleeding has stopped. He is still in Trauma as there is a surgical unit right there in case emergency surgery is needed. This is some serious internal Sh*t.

I'm not commenting on Spot myself, Billy is understandably upset, he just pushed a button and hoped but had to self rescue eventually.

Give him some ADV love people! I know he will read it eventually. I hope I relayed your story correctly Billy... Get through this and get out of the trauma center soon I hope man... I promised you I'd post it so there it is...

-matt
  10. tbarstow

Oddometer:
    Day 1, after Kramer Junction. Hard way to Husky Monument.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="1280" height="750" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Dh3PwvaIocw?hd=1" frameborder="0"></iframe>
  11. rubezahl

rubezahl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good to meet and ride with you, John. Hopefully, we can put something together in the future.

PB
  12. GalacticGS

GalacticGS Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Day 2 Photo...

[​IMG]
  13. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    Galactic TE?
  14. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:

:thumb thanks matt for the update. i hope everything goes well for you billy!

:dunno

cheater larry........:lol3
  15. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:

ummm that was before i heard.:csm
  16. RAZR

Oddometer:
    my thoughts are out to you rhinoeater.

sorry to hear about your injury and the SPOT B.S. and the BLM B.S.

keep us updated on your recovery and return to the L.A. area.
  17. GalacticGS

GalacticGS Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    A GS in wolf's clothing...

Just looks like a TE

:ricky

I have a feeling that taking the GS through Red rock would have been a bit more challenging...
  18. RAZR

Oddometer:
  19. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    Nice swingarm, dude. :puke1

[​IMG]
  20. Rhino-1

Rhino-1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    In-Fooking-Credible! WTF was the BLM guy thinking? So WTF are they out there for? In case someone picks an endangered fooking weed? :dunno Or doesn't have a parking permit?

I know that the rules probably state that a BLM officer cannot have a passenger in his vehicle, but I'm sure that they don't mean to apply this to such dire extenuating circumstances-- Rhinoeater's life was literally in the balance, fer fooks sake!!

To all you others, looks like you all had a blast! Razr, as always, your vids rock! :clap