L.A. Barstow to Vegas 2010

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by RAZR, Sep 5, 2010.

1. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
  2. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
  3. Chipperdoo2

Chipperdoo2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got home late last night, checking in this am from work-yeah it sucks to be back-

Was curious if your pics & story made it online yet-what was I thinking!

Like I told you out on the trail- You are one lucky guy, I know you already know this.

I still can't believe the extent of that failure, doesn't make me feel warm & cozy about my BMW's! (that's why I took the XR400)

PS-Get some upper body armor! Sounds like you'll be looking for some from reading your posts
  4. farrington300

farrington300 No wait....What?

Oddometer:
    Anyone want to sell me their day one roll chart? Also, I am looking for the GPS tracks for both days.

My brother and I are going to head back out and do the parts of this ride that are open. :clap
  5. liorsmotoride

liorsmotoride Lior's moto ride

Oddometer:
    Razr you did good job here nice to read:clap
  6. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    Just got back to Colorado last night, will post a new thread to follow about my broken swingarm as I am taking it in to BMW today. I am fairly certain it is a manufacturing defect in what appears to be a void/irregularity in the casting, on the bottom side (high stress area) of both side arms. About 10 experienced guys (ok not metallurgists) have felt the same way...

The reason I went on this ride is I lost my consulting contract 2 weeks ago and I have a job interview tomorrow so I'm gonna be focused on that until this weekend...

Yes I'll be looking at armor. However!!!!!!!!! Bill's injury to his "gut" area hitting the bars is not covered by pressure suits that I have seen, so in his case I don't think it would have helped. Aren't most pressure suits open below the rib cage area????

ON A POSITIVE NOTE - GOOD NEWS !!!

I've been talking to Bill on my drive home and on Tues his wife was driving him home so he is OUT OF THE WOODS !!!! :clap :freaky :clap

The hospital told him he had a "golden hour" in which his ruptured spleen/liver would either bleed to death or heal its rupture. In that hour you are not supposed to exert yourself. What I learned from Bill was that for the first 1/2 hour after the sweep guys went buy and didn't see him ('cuz he was down over the edge a bit) he just laid there. Then he got up and kicked his bike over somehow and forced himself to head for I-15 on other roads. After awhile he COLLAPSED and that time he laid there for 2 1/2 hours while Spot 911 was activated. Then the BLM guy came along.

They told him that his laying there is what saved his life. Holy SH*****T Batman!

Now somebody that knows/cares about Spot should investigate why the Sheriff called his wife and said a chopper was dispatched but nothing happened. And why his wife had to drive him from Baker and not an air dispatch.

My daughter is a firefighter and paramedic and lands air flight for life choppers on I-25 here, she cannot believe somebody could drop the ball like that in our age of communication everywhere...

WTF happened???? signing out for now... glad to be alive and glad Billy is... :norton

-matt
  7. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear things are looking up for Rhinoeater.
    I worked w/ Rescue 3 for 2 years at District 37 desert events. There was often frustration regarding emergency response times considering we gave pinpoint locations that included GPS coordinates. Some agencies didn't want to acknowledge the coordinates given, while others used different datum (I think that is the word) than we did.
    SPOT is largely relying on GPS. They (SPOT) did make contact(s) and that is certainly better than nothing in my opinion.
    Add to the mix, a short time ago emergency agencies didn't even know what SPOT was when they received a call from them.
    Shame on the BLM civil servant. :puke1

Billy, I live in Reseda and if I can help you guys out let me know.
  8. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
    ditto what JohnGil said.

i'm in Silver Lake (east Hollywood) and can swing by whenever you need help of just to drink a beer with your vicodin.:evil
  9. Ben99r1

Ben99r1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear the news. Welcome home Billy
  10. GalacticGS

GalacticGS Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad you made it back home safely Matt. Hope BMW takes care of that little swingarm problem. It was great riding with you while it lasted...:lol3

Thanks for the update on Rhinoeater. Sure hope recovery goes well.

BTW - Did you go karting in Vegas?
  11. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and love

Oddometer:
    Crazy stuff, good thing he's on the mend.:thumb

A kidney belt will give you a bit of protection on your guts...

I have an EVS ballistic jersey that has shoulder, elbow, and chest armor as well as a kidney belt sewn onto it.

[​IMG]
    EVS-BJ2 is the part#...

I went over the bars on day 2 and got a shiner, but at least I got a free set of riding gear for my trouble. :D

Thanks
    CA Stu
  12. Earl999

Earl999 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Matt, take close up high resolution photos of the shear zones with a date stamp to document and baseline the "as failed" condition.

If you hand the swing arm over without any documented evidence, BMW can always claim there was no metallurical flaw (inclusion, etc), and deny any workmanship/material flaw claim.

If it ever came to that, that's when you take the photos to a University or consulting metallurgist and get their expert input and fight it out with a consumer adovcate, etc.

We take SEM (Scanning Electron Microscope) images and look at the grain boundries for clues to develop fracture mechanics scenarios (and models) for our structural failures.

Good luck.
  13. snooker

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that advice. Yes I took a lot of hi res photos and preserved the surface area on all pieces. I already had a retired metallurgist I know from 30 years at HP look at it. He is a professional and said he cannot make a determination without an ultrasonic bath cleaning and a SEM image analysis.

He did say that the dark colored corner areas on the lower (high stressed) side of both sides of both swingarms "had a granular composition that was inconsistent with the surrounding areas" (this was looking through a magnifying loop held to his eye). He also said by looking at all pieces that it was a "catastrophic" failure (broke instantly) as opposed to partially breaking over time that would show up as areas of worn down metal from rubbing.

I've handed it off to the dealer now who has somebody from higher up in BMW coming to look at it. The dealer frankly cares little about any forensics or investigation of this issue overall, he told me point blank he only cares about how/if my bike will be repaired. I am interested in both. I mean how will I know or anyone else with this swingarm know (or even feel) that they have a bike they can trust?

I am strongly considering asking that they give me a swingarm that has been inspected by ultrasonic methods and to be given the inspection report. Considering this part is out of manufacture (I assume) I would still think BMW has this resource if they cared to go to the trouble to use it. DO you think this is outrageous?

Upon others' suggestions I have searched the NHTSA.gov database and wow there is a lot of information there but I don't see anything about a swingarm....
  14. Earl999

Earl999 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome!

CT scanning or even a real time X ray is far superior to ultrasonic testing to look for metallurgical flaws in a new swing arm.

I wish I could help you with the SEM images, but I don't think ours is large enough to fit a swingarm in, so it would have to be cut down to fit the vac chamber. And I would have to sneak it in, and see if my lab contact would SEM it?

I was the one who recommended the HTSHA complaint, and that's still an option if BMW doesn't come through for you! If that happened on the freeway, that would've been a seriously ugly experience! :eek1

I've read that some single cylinder BMW engines are built by Kymco in Taiwan, as is the new '11 Husky TC450 engine.

Do you have any idea where the swingarm is made? Did you see any stamps, etc on the swing arm?
  15. snooker

Oddometer:
    Yes I remember talking to you (in the jacket with the old MS Racing patches on it :) Thanks for the info.

Word on the street is conflicting but I think this '07 650 motor is assembled by Rotax in Austria and the '09 is by Loncin in China (not Kymco in Taiwan). Although most people have said the '09 feels smoother and may shift better, and there are no serious complaints about the '09 motor compared to the '07.

I didn't inspect the entire swingarm but the parts I can see don't have any origin markings. I'll wait and see what BMW says, hopefully Monday.
  16. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:

They will say you are crazy, and they've never seen this before. Then they will cover it under goodwill.

That's my prediction.
  17. snooker

Oddometer:
    did you know that "datum" is singular and "data" is plural... but only serious nerds or statisticians ever say things like:

"Only that one datum is correct while the rest of the data are incorrect." sheesh!

ok maybe Spock would say that (but he *is* a serious nerd too :lol3)
  18. snooker

Oddometer:
    Thanks, new riding buddy! It was great leading you with my new GPS toy, I hate riding in dust not being able to see the GPS and all...

BMW has my bike now and I'm getting impatient as to their decision but I gave them info and have not blasted them too much so I'm giving them a chance to just to the right thing. I hope John Gil is correct...

I stayed in Vegas all day Sunday to avoid the blizzards in UT and CO, went to see Rhino which turned into a huge deal I never imagined... THEN to cap the day off I DID go to Pole Position and treated myself to a $75 evening of as many rounds of high energy electric go karting as I could stand! Normally about $25 for 1 session, I think I had about 10 sessions over 2 hours until I couldn't stand it anymore and couldn't get any faster.

That place rocks and I suggest next year - EVERYBODY go there after the banquet - it is only a block north of Orleans, on the side street on the east side, across from the Palms.

The karts went like 40-50 mph on the straight, but the torquey electric powerband and small diam tires made for no hold barred power sliding and LOTS of safe fun. I needed more people of my own inexperience there (like YOU!) as the local 14 year old ringers just wiped the track with my ass!

good stuff.. -matt

p.s. The Rhino saga has moved over to THIS THREAD... and I still haven't made a thread dedicated to my swingarm, waiting for BMW first and if they don't accept their manufacturing defect responsibility, there WILL be a thread "My BMW G650X Swingarm Snapped in Half!"
  19. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:

Are you schoolin' me here? in public?

I'm so ashamed.:cry
  20. M1Jeep

M1Jeep Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn! Get well Billy, I will say a prayer for you! I wish you a safe and speedy recovery.

-Rich