1. Livestream Today at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

L.A. Barstow to Vegas 2010

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by RAZR, Sep 5, 2010.

1. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    sorry that was bad of me, John. It's just that I can't get that image out of my head of a data nerd at work saying:

... "the data you gave me are inaccurate!"

I was like "WTF dude?" and then I googled "data vs datum" - sheesh!
  2. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    Nerd :evil
  3. snooker

Oddometer:
    BMW is offering me half price on parts and no discount on labor, for my broken swingarm that is 5 months out of the 3-year warranty (and 6000 miles on the bike).

HERE is my post, in the G650 XCountry thread.

I am disappointed in them, I think a swingarm is a safety issue and I did not abuse it.
  4. spafxer

spafxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's just another typical BMW response. Never seen that before..... :norton

I joined the BMW fold about 5 years ago. R1150RT and K1200GT , seems like every model has problems, rushed to market without proper testing.

If it were something that was high tech and new to the market I would have some understanding but what I see failing are rear drives, chains, wheel bearings, swing arms, batteries, and other items that have been around since the wheel was invented :evil I see a pattern of source the cheapest product here.

I will not consider the purchase of any new BMW product from here on ...

:ear
  5. SUMTROUBLE

SUMTROUBLE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ARE YOU KIDDING?? That isn't the end of it I hope.. I remember seeing that on the photo's at the banquet. Jon and I first thought "hope the guy on that bike is okay"
  6. snooker

Oddometer:
    No I'm not kidding. Unless I get a new contact to a more sympathetic BMW person with influence, I'll prolly be buying a used swingarm I have access to and installing it myself. It's just not right to be able to break a swingarm like this, IMHO.

Read my link to the XCountry thread if you want to see the whole story.
  7. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
    or part out that piece of shit bike:evil

that's fucked up they aren't taking the responsibility on this. :ddog
  8. Earl999

Earl999 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Amazing!

I would contact BMW and ask to speak to a higher level authority and let him/her know that you are VERY dissatisfied with their initial response AND that you will be filing a formal NHTSA complaint requesting a full investigation and potential recall to prevent injury or harm to fellow riders who own that model!

Also, ask BMW to return the broken swing arm, so you can have NHTSA experts analyze it!

That'll get their attention!
  9. airborndad

airborndad Long timer

Oddometer:
    + 1

Besides it's still yours, you own it and it would also make a pretty COOL LA B to V souvenir
  10. snooker

Oddometer:
    I already told the team leader at BMW NA customer service that I would be filing it with NHTSA, not a threat but to inform/protect other owners. No meaningful comment from them.

Still posturing on how to proceed.

Swingarm for sale: $1000. Makes a really cool LAB2V trophy! :lol3
  11. spafxer

spafxer Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. Earl999

Earl999 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^ WOW!

Snooker, please follow through with the NHTSA and make it painful for the Beemer bastards!

Might consider contacting a consumer advocate group or local TV station consumer advocate.
  13. snooker

Oddometer:
    Wow! I *just* heard about the same story from Txx Pxxxxx, the guy who sold me my Wilbers shock. He used to be a BMW service manager and worked a lot on warranty decisions at the dealership he was in.

Have you heard about the "warranty index" that each dealer has - which if it is good because they have a good service record, then they have more privileges in giving warranty extensions - used to be they could extend the warranty up to 6 mos. for 100% parts and labor and further pro-rated to a year - all without getting approval from "above". I don't know if BMW still has this policy but this just pisses me off even more!

This bike has 8-9" of travel and is marketed as "excellent road-going qualities combined with off-road assets typical of an Enduro" - yet now they say is not designed to go off road, only smooth dirt roads (like the one it faile on)? The OEM shock was crap by design and despite my complaining, they would not replace it while it was under warranty unless it had an obvious failure - yet I was supposed to stage a sit-in at the dealer until they relented and did just that? And the high performance (read: proper preload and compression damping and spring rate) Wilbers shock I spent $1000 on is supposedly suspect?

It's all BS and short sighted. They've already lost 5 new and existing customers since yesterday that I know of, on the XCountry thread.
    :kboom gotta chill out :jkam
  14. rhinoeater

rhinoeater Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    F..K That Razr

I GOT NARCO AND OXY??????? does that go with beer ???

F Ya!!!!!!

15. snooker

Oddometer:
    Full details in the G650 XCountry thread I posted HERE, but I have accepted BMW NA's 2nd offer: that BMW will pay for the parts necessary to replace the swingarm, and I will pay for the labor at a BMW dealership. I have answered a lot more questions in that post, so if you are really interested then please check it out.

Case closed! (or let's say I'm burned out from research, emails, phone calls and typing here on ADV!).

Thanks guys... see you next year at the LAB2V on my BMW G650 XCountry! [​IMG] I'll be the guy ACTUALLY riding 29.9 mph in the tortoise zones....

... ok stop laughing now! :rofl
  16. Kiethco

Kiethco Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Snooker, future riders appreciate that. I'm glad you had a great time on the ride. I was happy to meet you in Vegas, i wish it wouldn't have been a conversation about that swingarm, I'm happy to see BMW support ADV riders and customers after the sale.