1. eNewsletter Sign Up

L.A.-Barstow to Vegas LAB2V 2013 30th Y E A R

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by RAZR, Aug 14, 2013.

1. LittleWan

LittleWan You can do it!

Oddometer:
    hey, does anyone know this guy - rider 502, I think his name is Tony Salazar?

[​IMG]

If you know Tony, please tell him that I'm really sorry but our 32 gig card filled up right before we saw him in Afton Canyon (? not sure of the name. the wash before the water crossing).
    So, we didn't get video of him after all.

:baldy

It sucks! Sorry, dude. :(:
    We still had a blast riding with you!
    At least I got this pic.

Thanks, RAZR, for this thread - we wouldn't have heard about the ride otherwise.
    Had a great time on the LAB2V! It was even better than we expected. :clap
    The hard way was challenging, we got worked!
    Those were some deep sand washes. Whew.

It was a huge disappointment to not make it through Red Rock. :cry
    Got over the boulders, but there was gridlock at the top. Engines off, guys just sitting on their bikes...
    We waited around for about 30 minutes and then decided it wasn't worth it.
    Wanted to get a photo with the showgirls, haha.

We spent an extra day in Vegas, just got home last night. I have some pics and video but it will take a little while to go through it (48 gigs of video).
    We did a crap job of documenting the ride, missed a lot of good stuff.
    The riding was really intense for 2up - couldn't mess with the camera/GoPro too much. :cry

I'll be back when I have some stuff uploaded.

yeah, skip lunch!

We were kicking ourselves for wasting time eating lunch on day 2.
    If we had just done the gas/bike wash and grabbed some water and a cliff bar, we might have made it to Red Rock before the worst gridlock.

Also, be ready to leave at 5:30am. We rolled up at 6 and there was a huge line. Rookie mistake.
    By the time we hit the sand washes they were chewed up by 100+ riders. :puke1
    It made them that much harder.
  2. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    RAZR usually has a RR thread started by now :ddog
  3. Stroker Ace

Stroker Ace Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This was a very unique sensory stimulating experience!!!!
  4. przjohn

przjohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Our CT First Timers Ride Report,

I had to ride the event with an injured foot from a fall last Wednesday at a ORV park named Hungry Valley. I will see the Doctor tomorrow and am hoping for some good words. We have flown in my Nephew to bring the bikes back as I can't drive back across country. I rode all hard sections the first day and took 2 bypasses Saturday with an unbuckled boot that was a shear joy to put on in the morning and even more fun to take off at night. Larry & Tim had to help me on and off the bike and pick it up when I fell. And I always seemed to fall on that side.

Tim had to bail toward the end of the first day as his KTM sheet the bed in a wash. We towed the bike out through 5 miles of sand to I-15. There we found very nice Mexican gentleman who loaded Tim's bike into his well aged mini pick up and took him to Victorville CA and the KTM Dealer there. Larry and I rode the rest of that day and met Tim back in Barstow where he was dropped off by a lovely Blonde KTM Salesperson along with his new 2014 KTM 250 XCFW. His 2012 250 had sucked a valve and was of no use to him for Saturday. Tim rode all hard sections Saturday with Larry.

Iron Man Larry rode all hard sections both days and had only a few get offs. When he and Tim arrived for Red Rock Canyon the organizers had closed the trail because of too many downed riders in the snow. They were turning all the riders back but Larry talked the guy into letting him and Tim through. They got back to Vegas about 4:45 just as dark was approaching. We got our pictures taken with the showgirls and met up after showers in the Mirage for drinks. From there it was back to the Orleans so Larry could thank the guy who let them through, dinner at Mirage and bed by 10:00 PM.

All in all a great ride and one that we anticipate becoming an annual event for us. We learned a lot about the riding out in the desert and really liked it. District 37 did a great job organizing the event and we came away impressed by their efforts.

On a side note, Stu, we never hooked up for that beer at The Orleans so I guess I'll have to make it back next year! :1drink

Happy Holidays to all the great folks we met out West and hope to see you all again next Thanksgiving.
  5. SoKal

SoKal Rider

Oddometer:
    Intense for 2up that is putting mildly we passed back and forth a few times on Day 2. Now that I see some of your ride reports it makes a little more sence. I did wonder how you stay on is it a tandem skydiving rig or relly big velcro sewn into your riding jackets :lol3
  6. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and love

Oddometer:
    Nice report, and look forward to next year John! :beer
    I was too pooped to party Saturday. :snore

PS Hope the foot ain't too serious!
  7. takeastep

takeastep n00b

Oddometer:
  8. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
    I figure we could just add our Ride Reports to this thread.:deal :dunno

unless you guys want a separate thread for the Ride Reports. :ear

Little Wan, I should've asked what your screen names were. we met at the gas station in Silver Lakes on Day 1.

I have the beat up 525 and my buddy 1224R was on his brand spanking new 500 EXC... second ride on that bike . :clap

I'll work on a Ride Report of my own. I haven't even started to upload the video card. :1drink
  9. hillarywu

hillarywu Banned

Oddometer:
  10. LittleWan

LittleWan You can do it!

Oddometer:
    Hi!

We were just watching our video from the morning rock climb - and Matt said, "I think that's rider 502!"
    So, we blew it for the afton canyon footage, but have video of you on the rocks (including your 2nd run :thumb)
    I got a pic, too. :D

[​IMG]

Aw, I just hope I wasn't in anyone's way going up the rocks.
    I tried to walk on the far left where there was no line...
    Sounds like our riding groups were on the same schedule, I think we turned around on red rock a little after 3pm, too.

Tell Eric I hope we passed him with good manners!
    We *may* have been having too much fun in some sections...:shog

Thanks, hope to see you guys out there too!
    We didn't know a single person on this ride (met our "buddy" about 2 minutes before leaving on day 1), but it was a hoot.

:rofl

my arms were killing me after this ride! I got some serious air on some of those whoops. :eek1
    poor BigWan was regretting the "velcro" at one point - we crashed and I pretty much rode him into the ground. :cry :lol3

Hi RAZR,
    oh yeah, I remember! I handed you the tong-thingies at the veggie platter (at the reception) too.
    I'm super shy and I suck at meeting people, sorry!

Whatever you guys want to do for the ride reports is fine with me.
    I have some boring stuff that will only be interesting to the people who already read our RRs, so I'll probably tack that onto the end of my Oso report.

But I'll have some pics and screen captures to post here or in your RR thread.
    As mentioned, we didn't know anyone on this ride, so I'll just pick the ones with the most riders.
    and ones that show the trail.
    Don't expect much, I take shitty photos. :deal

Matt's trying to sift through our footage now.
    48 gb = too much freaking video.
    :cry
  11. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    Hey LittleWan, reading these posts I put a couple sightings together. I saw you guys twice on Saturday. I pulled off after the first big sand river run waiting for my buddy and heard you coming. I thought, "holy shit, those guys are hauling ass. BigWan is a hell of a rider!
  12. LittleWan

LittleWan You can do it!

Oddometer:
    Thanks, bigtodd!
    As you know (I see you have a GS), big bikes need a LOT of momentum to get through the sand...
    He has to be on the gas in those washes, 'cause as soon as we slow down we start crashing! :lol3

Those 30mph tortoise zones were killing us. :cry
  13. Chilipepper

Chilipepper Baja wannabe

Oddometer:
    Fantastic ride and great weather. The D37 people really put together a great event!

Did all the hard sections, tore a fuel line on my rear tank on day one and that took awhile to sort out. Zero flats though.

I got to do the RR canyon. Fantastic ride up and over. But I got to the Orleans before the showgirls came :cry. So I got a pic of me and my wife standing with them

I know it's a one in a million but my gopro got knocked off in a crash after aryton sp? Canyon on day 2. If anyone found it could you let me know?

Cheers
  14. HAPPYTRAILSINC

HAPPYTRAILSINC single track rider

Oddometer:

RAZR-keep it here so we don't have to go look for it somewhere else:huh

you guys may see his video in a few months:rofl

wish I was there in red rock to :eek1:eek1 the carnage :lol3:lol3 looked like fun :evil
  15. MikkeM

MikkeM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did Day 2 only, great conditions! Hardly any dust after the last few dry years, and the moisture made it a lot easier to ride through the washes, I though.

[​IMG]

Sandy Valley took a long time, must've been 30 minutes for gas and another 15 for wash.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The gas guy was topping off tanks so that took a bit more time, but turns out I used it, as my riding partner was in last group through RedRock and I was in the last group turned back!
  16. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    First of all, the D37 folks do an amazing job of putting this ride together. The amount of work put in by so many volunteers is just unbelievable. Standing ovation to all of them.

Not planning on doing much of a ride report so will just post up a quick summary, we rode at a pace that didn't have me taking any pics. Stopped only for gas and check points.

My good friend Gerd Kolbenschlag came down from Portland with his new to him KTM 620. We planned to roll out of the Palmdale start about 7:00. We got off a little late as it was cold and Gerd's 620 is a kick start bike that does not seem to like the cold.

The riding conditions couldn't have been much better, cool not cold, dark and heavy top dirt with not one bit of dust. That had all the early departures hauling ass. Parts of the course looked like a Super Moto race, with 10-12 bikes railing turns one after the other.

At about the 40 mile point I got a bad wobble in the rear wheel. Thought it was a flat but the tire was ok. Rolled on and the wobble was intermittent. A couple miles later after a big jump, the wobble is now very serious and the chain is hitting my boot ... sprocket side rear wheel bearing is gone. Limped back to a road crossing and 2 guys with a truck offered to take me back to Palmdale. The guys at Palmdale Supercycle got me back together with some new bearings but had to jimmie rig a spacer. Got back on the bike about an hour later and headed back for the course. Took the bail out after 395 and went straight to Barstow.

Saturday Gerd and I were out and rolling by 6:15, we had both decided to bypass the Hard Ways and be at Red Rock early and have lots of energy. Gassing up in Baker ran into Charles and Jimmy and Charles pointed out a significant oil leak on my 525. There was a little drip coming from the counter shaft. Bought some oil in case I needed to top off somewhere. Off we went and got to Sandy Valley at 10:00. Me, Gerd and one other guy were the only ones there and couldn't get gas until 11:00. We convinced the guy to gas us up and we were off. Left a big puddle of oil though. We were at Red Rock by 11:45 to find snow and ice ... lots of ice.

Gerd stalled the 620 a couple of times and then dropped it in a nasty icy boulder field. The 620 decided it no longer wanted to kick over. About a third of the way through Red Rock, we turned around and took the easy route into Vegas [​IMG]

Riding the street into Vegas I was now a streaming fountain of oil. Oil is covering everything including my rear brake (no longer working) and Gerd who is still following me. But we rolled in slightly after 2:00.

Gerd and I at the start in Palmdale

[​IMG]

Gerd at beginning of Red Rock

[​IMG]

Happy to be in early but disappointed for not doing Red Rock

[​IMG]

Beers and Cigars

[​IMG]

Why doesn't my rear brake work?

[​IMG]

Our plan was to ride back to Palmdale on a more or less direct route to Palmdale but bike is spitting oil, Gerd's 620 has turned into a 20 kick nightmare and Rich has a hole in his radiator. Chito Pstor and his Pilipinas Dual Sport team to the rescue ... the 3 of us had a comfy ride back.

[​IMG]

Can't wait till next year!
  17. notmybikemodelname

notmybikemodelname KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer:
    Don't count on seeing it until this time next year.....:freaky

All that carnage just looked like more rocks to ride over to me.....:clap
  18. Blue Man

Blue Man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not sure if everyone knew of the auto vs ped on Main St Barstow Friday night, but Cal Bottom 87 years young died after being run over by a car while crossing the street to get dinner. He was the oldest rider, rider #1, and rode all 30 District 37 Dual Sport LaB2V rides, roost in peace and Vaya Con Dios.
  19. Rman237

Rman237 Ride Rural Texas

Oddometer:
    Wow, terrible news. My group sat with him and his wife at breakfast in the hotel lobby in Barstow last year, what a cool guy he was. Indeed, Roost In Peace Cal. :cry
  20. dzrtracin

dzrtracin возьми

Oddometer:
    As of today I have a hall pass for next year:freaky