L.A.-Barstow to Vegas LAB2V 2014 Fri Nov 28 and Sat. Nov 29

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by RAZR, Sep 8, 2014.

1. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
    look back 1 page:deal
  2. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite

Dang.. didn't see you

I was always late as I worked the sweep crew.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. RAZR

Oddometer:
    this is my 7th LAB2V and it is my favorite organized dual sport event.
    and every year is different than the last.
    2 years on a KLR 650. 4 years on a KTM 525 EXC. this year on a brand spankin new KTM 500 EXC with only 250 miles which I've now tripled. :lol3
    also, each year, riding partners change. either cuz they have a family and kids. or their job. or the bike. etc.

this year I was excited. new bike. totally rules.

Day 1
    powered by Starbucks
    [​IMG]
    get there early and get in line for GPS and meet up with my riding partner, Paul DirtRider (whom I rode with in 2012 but his 2008 450 EXCR had no oil [his mechanic f$&@ked up]and blew up 5 miles out of Palmdale on the power line road:shock:) (but he borrowed his buddies 525 for Day 2 that year) back to this year, he had his bike all rebuilt ready to ride.

outside Palmdale
    [​IMG]

we got out on the trail first and it stayed that way until after Ridgecrest where he got eaten alive in a deep bike eating rain rut and broke his wrist in 10 places. :cry
    luckily we were just about 100 yards from the 395 and his girlfriend was driving chase truck. after loading him up in the truck, I hit the trail with only 3 riders in front after our trail drama.
    my ride was dust free all day.
    I had a good get off in a corner through the deep truck whoops right before Barstow that I had thought I broke my wrist or fingers but just a good sprain of my left ring finger. nothing a Vicodin can't fix.:freaky

[​IMG]

got in to Barstow and hung out with the Boy Scouts and CA Stu in the parking lot straightening out my tweaked front end.

[​IMG]

all is good.
    then onto DiNapolis for some carb loading. and beer. and ice cream.:beer
    [​IMG]

Day 2
    riding solo. tired. coffee injection.

[​IMG]

out front dust free. not much to say but I was in a good clip. almost felt like I was the only one on this ride. it was kinda eerie. after gas at Rasor Road (let's just call that my road:lol3)
    I was now in the with other riders.
    but again, taking the hard way after check in, the 2way section with the Easy Route was BS, thanks BLM.
    after that there was only 3 tracks along the hard way past the old Ford in the dez.

[​IMG]

so I'm not sure how many folks rode the hard ways into Sandy Valley.:dunno
    Dumont Dunes was fun.
    then the hard section into Sandy Valley was a blast!
    ate a delicious black bean burger (THANKS SANDY VALLEY!!!) I hooked up with Gil for the final stretch through Red Rock. the dirt route that went into the dry river bed was a nice touch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

up and over Red Rock and in to Vegas for ice cold PBR's in the parking lot with a couple pretty girls in feathers. :pimp

[​IMG]

thank you to all the District 37 committee members and volunteers. a big thank you to Kieth for all your help. this event runs smooth because of you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 3
    Sleep. Drink. Repeat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the man with the plan
    [​IMG]

Who's Your Daddy
    [​IMG]
  4. RAZR

Oddometer:
    I have a ton of GoPro video that I'll edit this week. :deal
  5. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great weekend of riding.

Killer dust in the mornings till people got spread out a bit, after that it was great riding.

I showed up by myself and by chance hooked up w/ the guy that parked next to me. Turned out to be a great guy and a good rider, about my pace and speed. He's not on ADV but should be pretty soon. We ended up being riding buddies for the next three days.

Mike:
    [​IMG]

Isaac:
    [​IMG]

Me:
    [​IMG]

Only one I got w/ Ben:
    [​IMG]

Day-1: 211 miles. Hard loop all the way.
    Day-2: 194 miles. Hard loop cutoff (got us ahead of the crowds and out of the dust)
    Day-3: 300 miles. Death Valley ride back w/ Isaac, Ben & Mike.

The event is very well run. I can only imagine the man hours that go into something like this with the number of people and the distances covered. Kudos to D-37 for a fantastic job.

D-1: Lots of sand, washes and whoops, then in the afternoon fantastic single track by the Husky Monument.

Palmdale Supercycles before the start:
    [​IMG]

Desert Single track:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

D-2: Mike & I did some creative routing and got ahead of the mob then had the desert dust free and all to ourselves. Great two tracks in the morning. Lunch, bike wash and refuel in Sand Valley. Red Rocks into Vegas in the afternoon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got stuck in a nasty wash before Red Rocks:
    [​IMG]

End of the line here. We had to get the big thumpers turned around 180 to get out and up on the flat ground:
    [​IMG]

Out of the nasty and onto some nice two tracks:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lunch and bike wash in Sand Valley:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Up by Red Rocks:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

D-3: I probably had more fun on the 300 mile ride back through DV than on the B2V. The scenery is stunning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Did some sight seeing:
    [​IMG]

Quick break after a tough climb:
    [​IMG]

The 690 could almost do a buck on this trail:
    [​IMG]

Endless space:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More sight seeing
    [​IMG]

Goler Wash:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Swung by the Trona Pinnacles then high tailed via dirt roads it to Palmdale since it was getting late.

[​IMG]
  6. kevin2735

kevin2735 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This ride really kicked my ass. My first time at this ride, I went into this a with a little ignorance and came out very humbled. Halfway through day two, I had already crashed four times in the sand, lost my tools, my riding partners went through three tubes and one tire, bent handlebars, broken hand guards, and possibly a fractured hand. We bailed out in Baker. That said I had a great time, met some great people, learned a lot, and look forward to hitting it again next year. :clap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCeOlkojcqQ

LOST & FOUND

I was hoping someone or one of the sweeps may have picked up my tool bag. It was lost on Day 1 somewhere in the first half of the day before Jawbone I think. It is black nylon bag with red lettering. It contained metric tools, a KTM tire wrench, a rear tube for 140 size tire, and three large CO2 canisters. I'll pay for return shipping and some sort of service fee / reward if it was found. PM me if you have info to send.

Thanks,

Kevin
  7. kilroywashere

kilroywashere Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here are some of my pictures, LINK: http://imgur.com/a/2UTzJ

I had a blast. A big thank you to all the fun enthusiastic organizers, volunteers, and riders.
    This is definitely one of the best rides all year!

[​IMG]

These little guys are bulletproof haha!
    [​IMG]
  8. CafeRacer

CafeRacer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What a great time.

I didn't really want to do this ride but this was on my buddy's moto bucket list. Actually, this ride was probably the entirety of his moto bucket list... and I was best man at his wedding so I figured we had to do this.

I'm a retired club road racing hack who has done 47 laps around motocross tracks. He's a commuter who has crashed an FZ1 at Laguna Seca in the rain and once rebuilt a BMW R65.

To make matters worse, I was on a DR650 and he was on a KLR650 that I originally bought from an inmate for $1500.

We packed our best guess at what we'd need and rode our big singles from our homes in LA to Palmdale.

Day One was much harder than we thought. We figured out the whole, "navigation" thing thanks to those awesome roll charts and our shiny new Garmins. What we didn't figure out so fast were those sand whoops on that section just after Checkpoint One.

Then there was that rocky section just after Ridgecrest. My DR kept taking naps.

[​IMG]

(like you, I also don't know why I'm not on the smooth section of trail just to the left of my line)

After about 110 miles of dirt, we bailed out onto 395 and headed to Barstow for some surprisingly good Mexican at the restaurant in the Quality Inn.

The next day, we made the decision to slab to Baker and have the whole day to to the 100 miles or so of dirt left on the way to Vegas.

The weather was warming up and we had wide, smooth poweline roads the whole way. Until we hit those sections of 18" deep powedery sand.

Yeah, those sucked.

We quickly figured out that the trick was to turn on the stupid and just pin it while 400 lbs of over-fueled motorcycle dances underneath you as if you're a drunk girl seeking attention at Saddle Ranch.

It didn't feel TOO dangerous but Grant later told me that we passed a motorcycle that was broken in half somewhere along the route.

After lunch in Sandy Valley, we headed out on that dirt road and missed the turn 3.4 miles in that everyone else missed. We got separated here. Apparently only a few of us blew passed the turn. Some of us didn't. Some of us went back and looked for the others. Some of us went back to the turn and headed into the riverbed. Others of us continued down the road. No matter.

I ended up in the riverbed alone and making progress like I was Abe Simpson. Do we have a consensus on if that section was mis-labeled easy? It was fucking hard. It was also only a mere 9 (!) miles. Going as fast as I could, I think I covered it in about 4 days.

[​IMG]

I made it into the Orleans at about 2:10pm alone. My DR made it unscathed except for the front fender which came home taped to the rear. The KLR showed up 30 minutes later having lost only a few bolts and one saddle bag.

[​IMG]

It was a really cool two days.

:freaky
  9. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    Awesome!:clap
  10. RAZR

Oddometer:

i think this guy might have it
    [​IMG]

looks like you got into it with him earlier in the day
    [​IMG]
  11. BenTravelin

BenTravelin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great meeting you and Mike last weekend! Really bummed that I had to cut out and miss most of DV, but I was exhausted and had about 7 hours of riding/driving ahead of me. We'll have to get out there again!
  12. kevin2735

kevin2735 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you sure it wasn't this guy?!

[​IMG]
  13. RAZR

Oddometer:
    nope.

he never lived in the desert.:deal
  14. RAZR

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DXH7GdPkc5Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  15. JeffS77

JeffS77 cheap bastard

Oddometer:
    Awesome ... Didn't realize you were on this site :clap thanks for the link
  16. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer:
    Appreciated the "CORE 4 Kids" plug in the LAB2V registration packets........hope to see many of you folks at the fundraiser in January.....

[​IMG]
  17. Chipperdoo2

Chipperdoo2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed watching Razor from this perspective!
    Loved the sound effects too!
    Razor-I've been watching your LAB2V RR vids for years, I came out West in '10&'11 for this ride & LOVED IT. We never met but I look forward to your vids to get my fix every year since.
    You had me laughing after your spill, you looked like a Harley rider leaving the bar with your outriggers out!
    Get them feets on the pegs!!
  18. RAZR

Oddometer:
    fixt. :D

thanks for complement man. I had a blast this year.

I'll have the other videos up soon. I have hours and hours to sift through. :*sip*
  19. RAZR

Oddometer:
    here's my buddy, Gil's perspective with the rear view GoPro. :deal

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/S2VcMl6W5bk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  20. Chipperdoo2

Chipperdoo2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My apologies for the misidentification!

YOU ROCK Razor!