L.A.-Barstow to Vegas LAB2V 2014 Fri Nov 28 and Sat. Nov 29

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by RAZR, Sep 8, 2014.

1. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome pictures.

So what kind of tires were you guys running for this? Obviously some of you did not only the ride, but also took a combination of dirt and slab back to LA.
  2. isaac004

isaac004 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ran this combo on my 690 Enduro. Works great for dirt and pavement.

I ran Prielli MT21 up front (been on since bike was bought new this spring, now close to 3,800 miles on it).

And a Motoz Tractionator Desert HT in back. Here it is at lunch on Day 2, with 2500 mi at the time of the photo. After I rode back to LA, it had around 3k miles. Still some meat left for casual DS day rides, but for a big trip or more technical DS riding I would change it out.
    [​IMG]
  3. CafeRacer

CafeRacer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Michelin T63 front and rear here. They're a little loud on the road and wander a bit on the rocks but I chalk that up to the rider's lack of talent.
  4. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
    before LAB2V I grabbed a set of my staple, Maxxis but went with a SI front and a IT rear but fucked up and grabbed a 100 when I usually use a 110 so the end result is shredded knobs.
    the 100 has less of a load speed rating than the 110 and the 120. :deal

this morning I replaced it with my usual meat, the 110 Desert IT. :clap
    this is one ride before LAB2V (60 miles of rocky singletrack) then 2 days at LAB2V (500 miles of everything)
    [​IMG]
  5. loph917

loph917 Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    just an fyi, grumpy has the photos up.
  6. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:

Thanks
  7. przjohn

przjohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, I guess it is time to get off my tuckus and post up a few pics of our trip form the guys back East in CT. Needless to say we had a great time, I love the West Coast. You guys have it made out there. No roots, mudholes, off camber wet pine logs, or bar banging trees. I mean you got some dust, well maybe a it's lot of friggin dust. I so especially love the way it acts like fog in the morning and evenings and just lays there blinding you in the sunlight, anyway.

We went to Jawbone ORV Park on Wednesday before the event. We don't have stuff like this back East. In fact in CT we have just about 0 legal riding areas.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG]

One of the things we noticed while we were driving out to this spot, about an hour away, is all the RVs with dirt bikes, quads, side by sides, sand rails, and anything else that had a motor heading out to the desert. This looks like a ball. Riding, camping, and whatever else for a long weekend. I noticed they all had big coolers too, something that is common to both coasts it seems. :freaky

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG]

Our truck, trailer, and rental car seemed a little modest next to the mega motorhomes.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG]

But, then again, if you have a hot chick, a couple bikes, and a good dog. A weekend out here, is all you need.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG]
  8. przjohn

przjohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is one big pipe crossing Jawbone!

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG]

They seem pretty serious about this pipe.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG]

The locals don't seem to care much about the warning signs.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG]

We kept our distance from the pipe anyway. And yes, it was a hell of a climb for me to get up that hill to take these pics and also spy on the hot chick with that lucky guy and his dog.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG]
  9. przjohn

przjohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some pics of the guys riding up and down the hill I climbed. This hill was one the smallest out there.

Doug coming up the hill. Doug is a former AA New England Rider and has rode many GNCC Events.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG]

Paul coming up the hill. Paul is a past 2 time New England Hare Scrambles Champion and former AA Rider, and another very fast guy in the woods.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG]

Larry, my business partner. Larry is a die hard Enduro guy. Top A rider for many years who I would put against almost anybody for his 50++ age. He rides most every Friday with some of the best guys in New England all year long, snow, sleet, you name it. The upcoming Snow Run Enduro sponsored by our club The CT Ramblers has a lot of Larry's work hours built into it.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG]

James, a long time New England Enduro and Hare Scrambles rider. James is a heads down, get it done rider who I hope to some day be able to keep up with. We have known and rode together for many years off and on. It was a true pleasure to have him on this trip.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG]

Timmy getting a little out of shape at the top of the hill because I was in his way photoing. Timmy is my Brother in Law and a frequent member of many of our trips. He is just as happy riding Deals Gap as off roading in Colorado or sucking up dust in the Mojave. Timmy is the guy who brings everything on a trip. He makes you feel guilty because he has everything you already packed, so you get to ride light. A great rider and great friend, he always likes to ride the last guy position but don't let that fool you, he can ride. He is only doing that out of the goodness of his heart and the fact that he LOVES when stuff breaks down that he takes that slot.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG]

Larry coming back to the top of the hill after collecting Tim and James. All of the guys left at the same time as a group but got broken up within 2 minutes. I could watch the whole thing unfold from my vantage point on the hill. They finally all recollected back at the hill and stayed together after that.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG]
  10. przjohn

przjohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The route sheet for just one day is huge! At least they don't need to be cut and taped. The detail is also very good though they use a little bit different acronyms than us.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG]

The New England premier route sheet holder was unable to manage the long lists. The EE ones barely held them. A lady was going around selling other holders which I guess hold more but, we managed. You really need GPS and the Route Sheet Holders on this ride, especially us NE boys . We are use to following bright Orange arrows, blindly in fact. We get lost very easily looking for ribbons, many of which are lying on the ground. At the end of the event in The Alligator Bar of The Orleans we discussed why they don't use arrows, WTF. Then, the guy who was not doing shots with us interjected, "They don't have trees here to staple stuff to". Oh, yea right.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG]

Doug and Larry ready to go waiting for us. If any of you know Larry, he is always "Ready to Go" He is the guy in the group who is always first dressed and waiting for everyone else.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG]
  11. przjohn

przjohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I apologize for so few pics of the terrain and the ride itself. A most of you know who ride this event you need to keep moving and not dilly dally on this ride.

Here is Tim and James on a hard section of day 1.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG]

I give this guy a lot of credit. He was going thru hard sections on this GS that I would have never thought that bike would make it through.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG]

He got stuck right here, you can see he is grounded into the sand, the GS models don't offer a lot of ground clearance for deep sand when a rock comes along. We took off because right behind him was a group of Jeeps that would help him out. The Jeeps are like the Harleys out here. They just creep along at a Snail's pace in a big group, I guess to each his own.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG]
  12. przjohn

przjohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lots of Side by Sides out here, we don't have anywhere to ride things like that in CT. They seem to me to be the best choice for 4 wheel life here IMO. I saw some climbing hills with 2 people in them at Jawbone that if I had someone to wager with I would be short a C note. Not that they would make it up the hill, but that they would flip over.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG]

This is why you can't dilly dally out here. Paul got a front flat about 4:00PM on Day 1 with 30 miles to go. There seems to be some discussion about "Who" pinched the tube we brought and installed on the tire, so now after spare tube mounted we were at dusk with a still NG front tire. As God surely loves fools we ended up getting another tube from a couple of guys passing by from Northern CA. Larry was sure to track them down at the end of day one a get them a beer. As luck would have it my headlight sheet the bed first thing in the morning and we had to ride out with me sandwiched between Tim and James to see. The Desert is not fun at night. In fact riding out at night on Day 1 reminded me of one of those Haunted Hayrides. People pop out of nowhere asking for hydraulic fluid, master links, and anybody got a beer? In CT you can break down just about anywhere and walk a few miles at most in any direction to safety. All that stuff you saw on TV about getting lost in the desert? Believe it. Oh, and that Orange blanket they are changing the tube on? It ain't no blanket it's a signal flag that doubles as a clean workspace. Timmy carries everything, and I mean everything. We laugh in the beginning because he carries so much stuff, but he has been the man of the hour more than a few trips.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG]

Tim and James at the gas in Baker. The 3 of us rode together most of the time. You just can't beat riding with good friends. I think that is one of the best things I like about all types of riding, the camaraderie.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG]

On our way back into Vegas from Red Rock Canyon and the finish we stopped at a Seven Eleven and got something to wash down the dust

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG]

Tim, Myself, and James end of ride at The Orleans. That had to be the coldest, best beer I've ever had, and I've had a few.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG]

End of the ride, bikes loaded, and off to the strip on Sunday. We ended up at The Double Barrell to watch The Patriots game and lick our wounds. We can't say enough good about all the folks who put this event on, top shelf! Maybe we can get some of you guys back East and see what water is all about. Thanks District 37 for a great event we will always remember.

All in all this was another great trip with great friends. This was our second year in a row going out there and hopefully we will be back for our third, though we've most likely seen enough sand to last a couple of lifetimes. Go CT Ramblers!
  13. RAZR

Oddometer:
    :clap
    great RR!!!

I'll get my RR together this weekend. :deal
  14. LittleWan

LittleWan You can do it!

Oddometer:
    thanks for the LAB2V reports, pics, and videos, everyone!

:clap
  15. isaac004

isaac004 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Alright, here goes my Day 1 Ride Report, since I did not see any other LAB2V ride report threads posted.

For the first time in 2012 I rode the LAB2V ride, and found it so dusty and grueling that I wondered if I really wanted to do it again. I had gotten behind schedule helping other riders and gotten behind the pace, and had to bail to pavement on a few sections. Like all great adventures though, once I got home I knew I wanted a repeat. Fast forward to 2014, and I was considering another run at the ride when my friend Ben (BenTravelin) vocalized interest in the ride. With a new 2014 690 Enduro up my sleeve this year and a good roommate from a previous Baja trip, I knew it was time to give this ride another go around. This time I was on a mission to not only ride the official route without bail options, but to also ride it true adventure style, door step to door step with a desert route to return after the ride.

Note that you can click my photos to be linked to Flickr, where you fill find the full sizes as well as a GPS marker on a map to show you the location of each shot.

After months of planning and preparations with Ben, it was finally 4am on November 28. Time to wake up. By 4:30am I was riding to the start of the ride in Palmdale. It was a chilly ride, as some valleys were dropping to the 40’s, but then would quickly warm as I would rise up to the crest. The heated vest and grips proved to be critical elements.
    [​IMG]

I rolled into the Palmdale Supercycles parking lot at 5:30am and rode directly into tech inspection. With my tech stamp in hand, I dropped my gear and jumped directly into the registration line. Registration did not open until 6am but I knew from previous years that it was the most time consuming process. Inside I saw the familiar site of fellow inmates BigTodd and JohnGil, they were volunteering at the GPS download table, both coming off injuries. Words of wisdom, when you go to the GPS table to get your tracks, beside you have deleted your lifetime collection of GPS tracks from the memory.
    [​IMG]

Ben and I finished packing our gear up as well as the most important part, the loading of the roll charts.
    [​IMG]

I modified my roll chart (based on an idea from RAZR) to have a RAM mount, and the screw heads consumed some available space…therefore, I had to stuff some of the roll chart into my tank bag.
    [​IMG]

Rolling through the start by 7am! Photo by Grumpy.
    [​IMG]

On the LA Aqueduct Road. We heard later on that someone was in the dust cloud and at full speed hit those huge concrete ribs the LADWP installed to prevent people from riding on top of the duct. Ouch.
    [​IMG]

Going through the whoop and water bar section. A few definitely caught me off guard, as prepared as I tried to be. I recall this is where BigTodd bent his GS suspension in 2012.
    [​IMG]

Stopped for a quick photo exchange.
    [​IMG]

Ben working his way up a pretty fun section between 14 and 395, south of Ridgecrest.
    [​IMG]

Another cool shot by the Grumpy crew.
    [​IMG]

The big ole steep hill, where from the top you can see the optional Johannesburg gas stop. Ben looked so smooth going up that this little error and get off sure did surprise me!
    [​IMG]

I have never seen the Husky Monument so busy before!
    [​IMG]

That classic Joshua Tree just north of Husky, someone knocked it down in the last year or so. Major bummer.
    [​IMG]

More fun stuff, after the rocky climb near the Petroglyphs.
    [​IMG]

I love this dusty photo, captures the feeling towards the end of Day 1. Dusty faces and tired eyes, but still smiles.
    [​IMG]

Going through the sandy sections, I crested a hill and noticed that Ben did not follow. A rider went by and said he went down. I peered over the hill and saw Ben with some assistance from others.
    [​IMG]

Turns out the banjo bolt on Ben’s slave cylinder on the clutch loosened up and puked out all the fluid.
    [​IMG]

Ben summing up the situation.
    [​IMG]

We determined it was best for me to go on and locate clutch fluid back in Barstow, since the KTM’s call for their special brand mineral oil. Ben would attempt to ask passing riders if they had any while waiting for the sweep truck. On the way out I passed a few of the memorial sites.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

About 20-30 minutes down the trail I came across a huge RV camp. The biggest camp, like a small city, went silent when I asked if anyone had a KTM. So a smaller camp near by provided me with the next best thing, a small water bottle full of cooking oil. By the time I got back to Ben, right as the sun set, he had just finished bleeding his clutch thanks to the luck of a passing rider with genuine KTM mineral oil. Score!

We hit the trail again as darkness fell.
    [​IMG]

And made it to the gas station at the edge of Barstow a few miles after my low fuel light came on. Ben was topping off his 1 gal Rotopax as he had to transfer some fuel into this bike during the clutch ordeal.
    [​IMG]
  16. RAZR

Oddometer:
    pre-Rekluse I would always have a small bottle of Magura mineral oil in my Mojavi bag.
  17. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great ride report! Thanks.
  18. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. RAZR

Oddometer:
    points I gathered from this story.... don't ride a large "adventure bike" on this ride unless you want to duck paddle through the hard section (not proper riding technique unless Rawhyde knows something I don't) , break your triple clamp/steering head, fuck up your rim.
    I like how hey throw in there they passed small bikes on the STRAIGHT SMOOTH POWERLINE ROADS. hahahaha:lol3
  20. bmgyver

bmgyver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That would be where riders being passed were obeying the 30mph tortoise zone.
    Kind of like boasting about passing people in a school zone