L.A.-Barstow to Vegas LAB2V 2015 Fri Nov 27 and Sat 28 2015

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by RAZR, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't worry about these grumpy old geezers I know exactly what you were saying. I raced multiple B2V back in the 70's including this one in 1970:

[​IMG]

Which earned me 2nd 250 Novice/1st 125 Novice:

[​IMG]

I also did all of the LA/B2V dual sport rides in the late 80's early 90's including the 2 Team Dual Dog's Iron Butt 1000, where we rode back from Vegas after laying over for a day in Vegas.

Of all of the B2V rides and back that I did, none of them were done with a GPS. All were done with just a roll chart and it wasn't difficult to do. BTW, I always tried to be one of the first off the line every morning so there wouldn't be people in front of me leaving tracks to follow.

I understand people getting pissed off at getting roosted when passed, but remember that guys like you and me are used to getting roosted when passed during a race. I understand it's rude and will always be as mellow as possible when passing. The one thing that ALWAYS chapped my hide were n00bs riding side by side not leaving any room to pass let, alone being aware someone had come up from behind. But that is a whole separate issue left for another thread.
    BrockEvan, CA Stu, AZ TOM and 2 others like this.
  2. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
    you hit an issue on the head which I had to navigate waaaaaaay too many times were n00bs riding side by side like they were CHiPs and I would rev my motor just to have one of them look back but do nothing.
    those guys may or may not have gotten roosted. :dunno
    and to the idea that this is not a race is correct, but on 'non-tortoise zone' sections where it was straight and open, I may have tested the top speed of my motorbike. :evil
    and we are racing the sun. so I don't take many breaks if any at all other than to piss and get gas, I can shove a Clif bar in my mouth and chew while riding. I took some key photos with my bike that have been posted on the LAB2V Instagram page but I just kept rolling all day. when you want to cover every mile of both days with the hardways then you best not stop much.
    mental note for next year: pack extra socks in my backpack. at 7:45AM going through the iced over Afton Canyon wash froze my already frozen feet and maybe have been dry by Sandy Valley. :lol3
    breakdirt916 likes this.
  3. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    I remember one year coming into State Line (now called "Prim") we were on a nice uber wide graded road and because it was a "turtle zone" we were held to doing only 25 mph. I hear a horn honk, and just as I look around a UPS truck passed me doing around 60 mph...........

In the famous words of Super Hunky: "Don't get me started!"
    AZ TOM and RAZR like this.
  4. LittleWan

LittleWan You can do it!

Oddometer:
    @RAZR - so everything went okay? I was watching your SPOT tracks on friday morning and I got concerned when I saw this:

[​IMG][​IMG]

You left and then had to return to Palmdale? Or was it some kind of SPOT glitch?
    If SPOT was correct and you didn't get out of Palmdale until 8:30, you still made good time! I saw that you were in Barstow by 2:30, nice job. :clap

Hey, I watched some video from Day 1 - there was a section of really nice singletrack along a ridge...Can anyone tell me where that was?
    I was looking at RAZR's tracks and have some good guesses, but I'd like to know for sure. We didn't get to do that in 2013. :cry
    Thanks for any info.

OK, I'm looking forward to more LAB2V reports! :ear Pics! pics! pics!
    You guys, it's already wednesday. :dirtdog :lol3
    I see that the showgirls were wearing cookie monster pelts this year...

p.s. I hope Paul Flanders is doing well. I was sorry to read that he needed more surgery.
    RAZR likes this.
  5. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Long timer

Oddometer:
    From Grumpy:

Photos from The 32nd Annual LA-Barstow-to-Vegas are now available. Thank you everyone for your patience and business at the banquet hall Saturday night, and for... your patience while these uploaded now that we're home.

Please note that the girls had an unusually difficult time numbering some of the photos this year. Due to the fact there are so many un-numbered images they have been grouped into smaller galleries to make searching by location easier. All photos that we were unable to number have been uploaded as "no id" to make searching for those photos in each gallery easier.

If you rode sweep, do not forget to check both your rider number and "sweep", your photo could be under a different id from each locations.

2015 LA Barstow to Vegas Photos:

http://grumpyphotos.com/gallery.php…

Digital Copies for 8x10 prints purchased Saturday night:
    http://grumpyphotos.com/gallery.php…
  6. outlaws

outlaws Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    **WARNING LONG & PICS HEAVY RIDE REPORT**

About a year ago was the first time I experienced desert riding and it was the ride out to Husky monument for Isaac's shakedown ride for his 2014 LAB2V run. At the time I was fearing for my life hanging on to the handlebars not knowing what the heck I was doing. A year passed by I kept hearing from the community about the LAB2V ride and I was determined I would try and ride it the following year.

Fast forward a year over Thanksgiving dinner I tell my family I have to leave early to sleep shortly after eating supper. I vaguely told my family I was going to dirt bike to Las Vegas and that I was going to ride the desert for 400 miles the next 2 days. No normal person could grasp the concept of riding a dirt bike for that long anyways so I don't bother.

I wake up at 2AM on Fri morning to start packing up and ride to Palmdale around 3AM. It was freezing 15 degrees took me 2 hours to get to McDonalds to have breakfast and warm up. On the way I was gripping my hand warmer so hard to keep my hands from freezing over on high setting I felt my palms were burnt. Nice way to start the day.

The start of the ride starts off mellow until I reach some hill climbs and I was riding solo. I started to second doubt my ability to ride this solo and it was still in the easy section :oops:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Within 20 miles in, I of course hit the only loose rock that was on one of hill climbs and promptly steer off the side and drop my bike. It was a pain to pick the bike up again and after I did I noticed my GPS had stopped working. This really sucked as I had no idea how to use a roll chart.

[​IMG]

Just as I crest up the hill someone taps on my shoulder and it was Bhevash and Adam. One of the 2 groups of people I know. Told them about my GPS problems and they let me tag along.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dropping into Kramer Junction for checkin

[​IMG]

After lunch is where the hard ways starts

[​IMG]

The trail was mostly singletrack on the mountain range and some parts were super steep hill climbs and loose going down. I had a real pucker moment when the trail was so narrow if you made a mistake your bike was going off the side. I'm not going to lie as scary as it was for me it was enjoyable and challenging. Plus the views were FANTASTIC!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking back at the hill

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bhevash encouraging me on

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don't make a mistake here

[​IMG]

Steep descent

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am very glad to be back on ground zero headed to Barstow

[​IMG]
    Balancer and McRat like this.
  7. outlaws

outlaws Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Day 2

Today I decided to take the easy ways to enjoy it because I used up all my adreneline from Day 1 on the hard ways. I figured I shouldn't ride alone based what I had learned from Day 1 so I end up hooking up with Mike, Marty, and Dave.

Start of the day was dusty as we intermingled with all the late start people

[​IMG]

Cool riding underneath these massive powerlines

[​IMG]

So everything is groovy until we hit this super deep loose sand. No preperation could prepare you for sand stretches like this for 20-30 miles at a time. Boy, it was wild!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Taking a much needed water and rest break

[​IMG]

And taking in the views

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We then ride into Sandy Valley for lunch. Lunch was great pulled pork sandwich

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After lunch we decided to skip Lovell canyon as the weather wasn't looking too great over there and go straight to Red Rock Canyon. This would prove to be a wise choice for a n00b like me to have plenty of time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Didn't Joel say Rocky gap was in very good condition and it was easy?!? I end up going in the middle spine and completely fell to the side into the creek as I clip a rock with my foot pegs trying to pass. By now I am screwed as I am by myself and my friends are no where to be seen. I lucked out as 1 person helped me put the bike back up. By now my handguards were interfering with my brakes and clutch and I had to fix it while I watch 1 by 1 people ride by me. And my battery was starting to die from me trying to start a flooded bike a couple of times I was starting to get really worried at this point.

What I think I'm going to do

[​IMG]

What I actually did

[​IMG]

With all my might I eventually muscle my way out of the rocky gap. It was like Ertzberg enduro for me even though it was only a couple hundred ft. By now my clutch was burned and I could barely use my gears. So I rode out of rocky gap using first gear the whole way down into Red Rock Canyon.

Views were amazing but I didn't have much time to stop and soak it in as the sun was starting to set and we still had a bit to ride to get to the finish

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here I adjust my clutch cable a little more before the final stretch to the Orleans

[​IMG]

At the end of it all, I am just glad to have made to the Orleans in 1 piece.

[​IMG]

I just wanted to give a shoutout to all the people I've ridden with during this ride and the random strangers who helped me out, there was no way I could and should have done it alone.
  8. sh1bby69

sh1bby69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looked like so much fun! I've been wanting to do this ride for a long time. Quick question for all of you, you think a Rally Raid Honda CB500x would be able to do this ride? How about a stock one?
  9. RAZR

Oddometer:
    hahaha oh yeah..... Day 1....
    welp, this year is the first year I had my girlfriend drive my van along the ride as a chase truck. but I told her to sleep in and not worry about actually following me along the way. but to watch my Spot just in case.
    a little background on my glorious Ford E350 van... shortly after purchasing it, someone decided they needed it to steal other shit for a few days and stole it. it was found 3 days later with just busted locks and ignition. :cry
    after getting the locks fixed, I installed a kill switch and bought this foot brake lock called the Unbreakable http://www.unbreakable.com/auto-locks.aspx
    I left for the ride totally forgetting to unlock the foot brake lock which I had the key in my backpack (total dumbass move but I was thinking about other things that morning) so once I realized that I had the keys to that foot brake lock (my girlfriend has my extra set of van keys but not the foot brake lock) I swore at myself half the way back to Palmdale (30 minutes out). ugh. so dumb of me.
    and it was freezing and I was pretty upset with the route using that much pavement in the morning when I know of 3 other routes we've done out of Palmdale that is dirt. and I talked to Gil AKA @bmgyver about this.
    so I quickly came back to unlock the foot brake and scooted back as quickly as possible (which is top speed of 65 since I have low gearing).

after hitting the trail (finally), I only stopped to piss and get gas. that's it. I didn't look at my GPS to get the average speed for Day 1 only but my 2 day average is 33.6 moving average and 24.6 overall average. meh. 460.2 total miles in 2 days. all hard ways no bail outs. shows 77.1 mph top speed which is crazy cuz my low gearing doesn't like me to push past 70.
  10. RAZR

Oddometer:
    here's a 15 second clip I've already posted on Instagram.

11. breakdirt916

breakdirt916 CA PLATED 94 YZ250 2-STROKE

Oddometer:
    HAHAHAHAHA

These are all great!!!
  12. black805

black805 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @outlaws I. Think that was me that help lift your bike at rocky gap
    Great ride report
    Glad you had fun
    outlaws likes this.
  13. breakdirt916

breakdirt916 CA PLATED 94 YZ250 2-STROKE

Oddometer:
    SWEEEEEEET

photos BY GRRRRRRRUMMMMMPYYYY!!!!

[​IMG]
    outlaws likes this.
  14. McRat

McRat Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've ridden similar (and worse) on my CB500X, and had to make a choice between the KTM and Honda.

I don't have the RR kit, but I could have easily negotiated the easy route on the CB500X, except I have the SW Motech skidplate. There were some rocky sections that would have destroyed that thin SW plate. The bike actually handles well in the desert, it just lacks ground clearance. The Honda engine is excellent in the desert. Better powerband than the KTM.

Since the Honda has no cradle tubes, you need something really sturdy on the bottom like the Rally Raid skidplate. One sharp rock would probably open the sump. (For those who don't know, the CB500X has a very low alum sump that is very exposed.

You'd want to step up from a TKC80 on the rear though. While it WOULD do that much sand, you'd probably be hating life in some sections of the really soft stuff. It wouldn't get stuck, it would just be a lot more work.

Cliff Notes: Yes the Honda could do it with good tires and and a good skidplate.
    sh1bby69 likes this.
  15. McRat

McRat Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was warm all the time, but never hot, no heaters. BUT ... I look like Frosty The Snowman. Some folk say riding with a street helmet was dumb, but it works very well in the cold, and is very warm, quiet, and comfy, no lifting force and excellent 160° vision.
    I wore: t-shirt, long sleeve thick t-shirt, First Gear armored winter jacket (very long), Head ski gloves, balaclava, HJC Snell street helmet, Klim over the boot armored pants over stretch levis, thick over the calf ski socks, Garne leather waterproof boots.
    When I decided to taste the desert (still don't know what happened, it was an nice easy area), bike temporarily locked in 6th, so I was probably 50 mph when the bike decided to use me as a tent stake. The helmet hit hard enough to bruise my forehead, but slid nicely. An MX helmet probably would tried to grab the sand.
    So the gear did it's job, no broken bones, and just a stiff neck. 274.jpg

But next time? REAL mirrors, and a spare left in the pack. Lighted Rollchart holder (it was pitch black on Day Two, we were in the first dozen out the gate. A GPS as backup.
  16. LittleWan

LittleWan You can do it!

Oddometer:

Oh no! that sucks.
    Yeah, I'll bet you were swearing your ass off in your helmet!
    I just realized that you could have had a super personal reason why you went back, something you might not want to share.
    Sorry, I'm so nosy - thanks for answering my question!
    I know how much you love this ride and when I saw those tracks, I was hoping it wasn't bike trouble.
    Glad it all worked out.

Hilarious n00b video! :rofl

Nice write up! That was a fun report, thanks for posting it!
    You're lucky there was no snow in rocky gap! :clap

It's really cool that you made it to the finish and got your pic,
    But, man, those are some seriously un-sexy showgirl outfits.... :lol3

[​IMG][​IMG]
    CA Stu, RAZR and outlaws like this.
  17. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:

It's like a real life Frogger.
    RAZR likes this.
  18. RAZR

Oddometer:
    I'm gonna go into my editing software and add that soundtrack. :lol3
    black805 and Yellow Pig like this.
  19. SoKal

SoKal Rider

Oddometer:
    Hey Littlewan missed you guys this year, the singletrack you see was most likely in the Fremont peek area south of Cuddyback dry lake. In 2013 the route was more on the southern side of Barstow
  20. LittleWan

LittleWan You can do it!

Oddometer:
    Thanks, SoKal! From looking at RAZR's spot page (and outlaws' RR), that was my guess. I haven't had a chance to go to google earth yet.
    I appreciate the tip. :D
    Our friend Radek did the ride but he nuked his Day 1 gps tracks to make room for Day 2 tracks. :(:

Yeah, as much as we enjoyed 2013, LAB2V wasn't in our budget this year (too many bikes) :cry We spent over $1K when we did it last time.
    Also, BigWan and I have been riding trials bikes lately - not great practice for 2 up riding in deep sand. :lol3

I love reading the reports, they bring back great memories.