1. eNewsletter Sign Up

L.A.-Barstow to Vegas LAB2V 2016 Fri Nov 25 and Sat 26 2016

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by RAZR, Jul 13, 2016.

1. breakdirt916

breakdirt916 CA PLATED 94 YZ250 2-STROKE

Oddometer:
    ^ I was pretty surprised about that!

(her post is on IG or facebook or somewhere)
  2. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
    the hard routes weren't secret or technically "hard" but add a lot of miles to an already long ride. and may have a lot of sand and deep gravel for miles. where the "easy" route AKA the regular route stayed on a powerline gravel road.
    Barakaiki likes this.
  3. Barakaiki

Barakaiki Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gotta love those powdery whoops on a big bike. I've had fitful dreams about those, especially near the train tracks on Day one! Can't hit em fast, and hittin em slow allowed the front to plow. I think I sharted comin in too hot on one or two! Gotta envy you DS guys just brappin over the crests...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    piratehood likes this.
  4. RAZR

Oddometer:
    there's a lot of work by District 37 volunteers and getting special permission from the BLM and the Forest Service to ride certain areas AND that we all paid for these tracks that you've already gathered that it's not cool to jump in a thread and ask for tracks.
    piratehood and breakdirt916 like this.
  5. 77TOY

77TOY Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The wife did great! The bike.... Not so much. Not that the CRF 230 is not a good bike, or not capable of riding LAB2V because it is.... It's just that her bike had a problem. After starting the bike in the morning and heading down the trail with heated grips on the battery soon died. Fortunately the CRF only needs the battery to use the magic button to start it which means the ignition continued to work properly. Unfortunately there is no kick start in a CRF 230. Fortunately she did not stall the bike very often, unfortunately push starting a bike in the sand sucks. After arriving at first gas, a fill up and another push start we slabbed it to Jawbone. While there we meet up with our support truck and located a new, charged battery in Ridgecrest and slabbed it to there. After a battery swap and thinking we had fixed the problem we had lunch and headed to Barstow on trail. Soon the sun went down, the bike lights came on the bike lights went off. Yup, dead battery. 2 bikes, one light 35+ miles to Barstow. She was trail riding my lights, we went out side by side. After several more push starts (did I mention push starts in the sand suck? It's worse in the dark) sweep cought up to us and we rode out to the hard top. This should have been a relief to be back on black top but as soon as we got there the bike stalled. Out of gas! After dropping a splash of gas from our packs and one more push start we made it to Barstow. It seams as though we had a recharge problem with the stator which is surprising as the stator was sent to Baja Designs for a high output stator rewind. This is not to bash Baja Designs because I do like their products, but after talking to tech support yesterday it seams as though there may be a problem with the stator ohm resistance. I am working with them for a repair. Given the bikes condition she missed all of day 2 but day 1 was enough to infect her with the LAB2V virus that much like the flu comes back every year but unlike the flu we wait with excitement and great anticipation. I think I'm going to have a hard time convincing her to ever ride as my support truck again.... Here's to next year!
  6. RAZR

Oddometer:
    sorry for the bike issues but it also sounds like you had a blast as well.
    this ride is truly an adventure.
    we look forward to seeing you two next year!
    and i too have the LAB2V flu. :raabia
    dunerat and 77TOY like this.
  7. knmwhite

knmwhite Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My Day 1 Video

8. breakdirt916

Oddometer:
    Crazy! I also thought about adding a battery powered helmet headlight for those occasions...sorry to hear about the sand roll starts...
    77TOY likes this.
  9. RAZR

Oddometer:
    VanXR and JohnfromJersey like this.
  10. Slow Trailin'

Slow Trailin' Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ugh! That section 7 killed me on Day 1. Was doing pretty good till then. Got to the top of that steep down hill and turned around. Didn't leave Ridgecrest till well after 1430 and decided to just slab it to Barstow.

Can't wait to do it again next year.
    sh1bby69 likes this.
  11. 77TOY

77TOY Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey I made your video! Top of the hill at 0:50 in all orange.
    knmwhite and BrockEvan like this.
  12. Schnurbart

Schnurbart Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great video, what camera are you using?
  13. sh1bby69

sh1bby69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That section got me as well. My buddy ended up with a good gouge on his leg from attempting it on his Tiger...Took 6 guys to get that bike back up. He ended up getting 7 stitches. We do look forward on doing that ride again.
    Slow Trailin' likes this.
  14. Barakaiki

Oddometer:
    Oh those whoops at around 2:20, just plain murder on an adventure bike! Good fun!

VanXR and knmwhite like this.
  15. jussumguy

jussumguy psuedo intelectual

Oddometer:
    Sweet! A plated 2-stroke!
    breakdirt916 and RAZR like this.
  16. knmwhite

knmwhite Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. It's just a gopro 3+ with an extended battery.
  17. knmwhite

knmwhite Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 2 Video

18. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great stuff & A+++ on the music!!
    knmwhite likes this.
  19. Barakaiki

Oddometer:
    Love this. Seeing you DS gliding through that gravelly deep sand that was hilariously entertaining to us Adv Bike guys!

knmwhite and Slow Trailin' like this.
  20. breakdirt916

Oddometer:
    wow unreal...we have to request all of our 2017 vacation before 12/31...I requested next year's dates LAB2V, and it was denied!...I will work on getting it covered as the time gets closer...

Booking my rooms for 2017 today!

The 2-smoke was fun, but I may rent next time...